Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back to CAGNEYS EYE again...  (Read 1653 times)

Bogart

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Bogart & Cagney
    • View Profile
Back to CAGNEYS EYE again...
« on: February 23, 2010, 02:36:32 PM »

I am believing it's the DUST that is causing the problem, after narrowing it all down. He is a Violet, from a pet store, according to out Vet, he isnt the best quality of Chin, BUT I refuse to part with him for that. I got him to keep Bogart company and it has worked out beautifully!!!! I did call the Vet, haven't heard back from them on what else I could use as a "bath" dust. I have cut it back to 2 a week, this is the 3rd. infection over 2 mths. He gets the eye drops again for 10 days. He has been to the vet and checked out, no teeth problems, great weight, etc..

Black Viper's 500 LMTD

Lori Ramsey Earle

• Appreciation points: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Back to CAGNEYS EYE again...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 11:06:28 PM »

You may already be doing this, but I'll mention it just in case. After each dust bath, flush out Cagney's eye, and do it the following morning afterwards. This really goes a  long way toward keeping the white gook out. My chinchilla, Libby, has a similar problem. Sometimes I'll keep flushing her eye once a day for 4-5 days after a dust bath.

As for dust bath, I'd suggest using Blue Cloud over Blue Sparkle. I have heard of folks using alternative things for dust baths like cornstarch or talcum powder - perhaps someone with some experience with this could post here about it.

If Cagney continues to have problems, your vet may want to stain the eye and see if there is a corneal scratch. This would require a different eyedrop to treat. The one time we had a chin with a corneal scratch, there was no discharge of any sort - the eye was half shut and the inner eyelid was swollen.

Anyway, hope this helps and that Cagney's eye clears up quickly,
Lori(and Libby)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 12:54:45 PM »

Some seem prone to eye problems, but I agree with the vet it could be just a " I hate poor quality" but for lack of a better term, just not show quality. Not all chins are going to be, but still make awesome pets.
I have 2 older males that get them off and on. One seems to clear up and can be gone for months, but the other seems to have gunk in there more often. I've seen it sealed shut.
I use baby wipes and just clean them out, funny thing is the worst one gets worse if he doesn't have his baths. In my case I don't think the bath has anything to do with it. I'm using blue cloud now but have use sparkle too with now difference seen. I gave up stopping their baths, they don't get one every day.I just clean the eye when needed. It's only one eye in each and always the same eye, it never travels to the other.
Have had their teeth checked, it's just an easily irritated eye.
Debbie.nl.ca

Bogart

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Bogart & Cagney
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:44:19 PM »

I narrowed it down to the dust as every thing else in their MARSHALL doesn't move. It doesn't happen to Bogart, only Cagney. They have been getting a bath 2 a week compared to 4. For some reason, after the bath, the following day...he gets this white "dot" in the inner corner of his eyes. So, I willhave to be prepared for the rinsing of his eyes after a bath and wiping of the face w/damp cloth, vacuuming out their cage after each bath. It is a very fine dust when u look at it, maybe corn starch would be good. I use whatever PETSMART has.  :::((( :::(((

It was shut this AM, so I use cotton balls, cool water to wipe it toward the outside of the eye, it opened up w/all this gook coming out, rinsed it out w/contact solution as there is a wad of crap in there, irrigate it out, wipe dry & add the drop to his eye. Seems once u get that out...we are on the healing side w/the antibiotic drops.  :::((( :::(((I try to be very careful on the pressure I use cause I AM SURE it hurts him as it would us. Baby wipes is a great idea!!! Have them, lol

He is cute though, I use a silk cloth (prevent coat slip-works like a charm), cover him up, carry him around & talk to him. When I do his eye, I wrap him up so I have just his face available, off to the bathroom for cool cotton ball wipes, I throw each out after 1 wipe. Carry him around somemore and talk to him, goes back to his cage and gets a 2 raisens cause he was good and to show him its ok, lol
Black Viper's 500 LMTD
Pages: [1]   Go Up