Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 6 month old needs help dusting?  (Read 1769 times)

LindyLu

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
6 month old needs help dusting?
« on: February 07, 2010, 05:21:27 PM »

Hi, I just today brought home a 6 month old female chinchilla (Daisy). I'm hoping she will eventually warm up to my current chin, a 5 yr old male (Dewey).

Anyway, I noticed Daisy had some poops stuck to her fur. I held her and gently plucked them off, then I offered her a dust bath. She didn't know what to do with it! She just walked around in the dust, and then walked away. (It's a super pets bath house). I put her back inside, and she turned some circles on her feet, and then hopped out again. She wouldn't roll and get her fur clean. I thought this was natural instinct. Dewey LOVES to dust, so it was strange watching her pay no attention. Do I need to help her learn by offering her the bath house 2-3 times a day? Or do you think she's just kind of stressed taking in her new surroundings that she didn't feel like bathing right now, but she will when she's ready? Should I try offering her dust in an open dish..? Anyone ever had trouble getting their baby chins to dust?

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: 6 month old needs help dusting?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 07:36:38 PM »

she may have not gotten dust baths at all or often at the pet store she was at. for a little while, you might have to actually put the dust on her fur. since Dewey's around and i'm sure he'll be dusting, she will see him doing it and should eventually catch on. just might take a little while ::nod::

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 05:58:06 AM »

Awww!  Poor baby!  I agree, she probably just didn't get them where she was.  She will learn by obsevation.  I'm not sure if it is instinct.  When we have babies, they have to watch Mom & Dad for a week or 2 before they get the idea.

Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

LindyLu

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 10:00:27 PM »

Thanks for the help. I set Dewey up with the bath house right next to her cage and she watched carefully...then she started practicing rolling on the floor of her cage....so I gave her the bath house and she hopped inside, rolled over once...hopped out. Then repeated that. So she got 2 good rolls. At least she's figuring it out. She seems like a fast learner!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 11:54:19 AM »

::silly::   Great! A good fast learner!   

Dust baths are usually one thing they love almost as much as a treat, so by making sure she has learned about them and how to do them, you have made her a happier chin!   ::thumbsup::

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up