Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 13-year-old chinchilla acting very lethargic the last couple of days.  (Read 11467 times)

zukitchi

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile

I have two 13-year-old chins, Linda and her brother Chachi (neutered) that live in the same cage. Over the last couple of days I have noticed that Linda has become extremely lethargic. She pretty much just sits in a corner all day or in their secondary sleeping spot. I really think something is wrong with her. She is normally the most energetic of all my chins. Her cagemate acts normal and so does my other chin who lives in a different cage. Normally she is very difficult to get out of the cage but today she hardly put up a fight. I even offered her a little peanut butter mixed with a little honey to stimulate her but she would not even sniff it. When I put the dust bath in their cage today she did immediately run down to it and use it, but she did not stay in it very long and went back upstairs to rest in her corner for a good 5 - 10 minutes. Then she did go back down for one more quick roll for about a minute and then she went up to retire to their secondary sleeping spot. Normally, she will hog the dust bath for 20 minutes straight and won't even let her cagemate in for a turn. Her poops still look normal, and I gave her some fluids with an eyedropper today just to make sure. I think perhaps she has been spending so much time in their secondary sleeping spot to get away from her cagemate. He will spend about 1/3 - 1/2 of his time sleeping with her down there, but the rest of the time he will be in their normal, primary sleeping spot on the top floor of the 3-story cage. He is not being abusive to her in anyway, I just think she feels crummy and wants to be by herself. I do not hear any difficulty breathing, nor do I see any discharge coming from the nose or mouth. I just don't know what it could be? Should I take her to the vet? If so, can it wait until Monday, or she I see an Emergency Vet who is open on the weekend?

zukitchi

• View Profile
Re: 13-year-old chinchilla acting very lethargic the last couple of days.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 11:00:33 PM »

I would like to add that shortly after posting this I did see her get a drink of water from her water bottle. Also, I offered her raisins and she took/ate 2, but she did so much less enthusiastically than usual, and she didn't seem to care if she got any more. Normally she would take them forever, even if she didn't want to eat them anymore, she would still have normally grabbed them and dropped them on the ground. Also, she refused a food pellet and sunflower seed that I offered her. Normally she gobbles those down. I should also mention that shortly before my 1st post I did see her eat a couple of her own poops as she was pooping them out. In addition, I put a little bit of high-fiber cereal (All Bran + Uncle Sam mixture) next to her and she has eaten a little bit of that.

Ladykelia

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 01:45:59 AM »

I'm not a terribly experienced chinchilla owner, but heres my two cents based on my little bit of personal experience and stuff that i've read. Take it with a grain of salt.
You may want to separate her from her cagemate so that you can carefully monitor her normal pellet food, hay and water intake as well as her droppings and urination. Also because, if she is sick, you do not want it to spread to the other chinchilla. I would watch her very carefully during the next couple of days and if she does not eat much, or bounce back, take her to the vet on Monday. Obviously if her condition worsens or she doesn't eat at all  in the next day, you'll want to call an emergency vet for recommendations. If there doesn't seem to be anything externally wrong they might need to do an X-ray. My other advice is to lay off the treats.. from your post i noticed you offered her peanut butter and honey, 2 raisins, sunflower seeds and cereal of which she ate the raisins and cereal. Was this all in the same day? That's a lot of treats. Typically everyone warns against giving more than 1-3 raisins per week. I've read in many places not to give chinchillas nuts or seeds AT ALL. I've never even heard of anyone giving their chinchilla peanut butter but i can't imagine it is anything but terrible for them.

I certainly hope it is nothing serious and that Linda will be better soon. Of course it's important to take all behavior changes seriously. I just lost my little Hermes to complications from surgery after having a bladder stone removed. The earliest symptom that I caught was just the slightest bit of lethargy. He was still active and strong, just not quite as active. By the time he was acting strange enough to warrant a justification for an X-ray (about a week later), he had a single but HUGE bladder stone that must have hurt a lot. In brighter news, I took Apollo to the vet today because I thought he was less active and eating less, but it turns out that he's just a weirdo. ::) There doesn't seem to be anything wrong, including in the X-ray.

zukitchi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 02:20:06 AM »

Please don't think that I normally give all those treats in one day! I was just testing to see what kind of appetite she had, if any, given her situation. I am afraid she isn't eating much, and it seems to be the case since she doesn't really even want treats. I did see her urinate tonight, so that is somewhat promising, I suppose. She also nibbled on a Timothy Hay Cube a little bit. She almost seems to go through short spurts where she will perk up for 5 or 10 minutes and then go back to being lethargic. I gave her a towel to lay on which she seems to appreciate, and I am able to monitor the poops she makes on the towel. I will keep monitoring her and if she's no better by tomorrow evening, it's off to the vets we go! I read on another thread about chinchillas in neighboring cages getting impregnated if the cages are less than 3 inches apart. I think sometimes Bowser's cage has been less than 3 inches from Linda's (but no less than 2 in.) and neither of them have been spayed/neutered. Although their levels don't line up, so I think it would be incredibly difficult for him to impregnate her like that. But I notice she's going down to her crotch area a LOT, although it looks like she's just pulling out/eating poops. I'm kinda scared to go to bed tonight, but it's already 3 AM. I just don't want to wake up to find her dead or on death's door like my poor little Odysseus in '03 when he had pneumonia. Also, I am not sure how this could be a contagious illness, the chins have not been exposed to anything that they could catch it from. It's not like they recently came from a pet store or breeder or even visited an animal hospital. So how could they catch a contagious condition that I'd have to worry about them passing on to others? When one of them was sick a few years back, a vet brought up that same point to me. I don't know if that's true, but I guess you never know.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 07:59:06 AM »

Since her only symptom is the lethargy we can only guess at the cause.  Since chinchillas mask their symptoms it could be anything at this point  and you don't want to wait until the next symptom presents itself. My advice is to take her to a vet.  13 is getting up in age for a chinchilla so you will want the vet to listen to her heart and lungs for sure.

If they are not fighting I wouldn't separate them.  Since they have been together for 13 years you could cause a lot of other issues with either or both due to depression.

Please keep us posted on how she does. 

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

zukitchi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 12:55:25 PM »

Ok, I think it must be constipation now. When I said her poops were normal last night, the ones I examined were on the small-side of normal. After seeing the poops she made over the night, they are probably 75% very small and like 25% on the small side of normal. Plus they are much dryer than usual and a lighter shade of color and usual. Like they are more of a tan/yellow-brown than a dark chocolate-brown. Perhaps this is why she keeps pulling them out with her teeth, because she has trouble pushing them out due to their dryness. Also, the fur around her ano-genital area shows signs that it had been wet from her going down there a lot. Are there any remedies I can start her on at home while a research for an experienced chin-vet? Also, I have some extra metoclopramide from when a guinea pig was ill. It is supposed to help with gut motility. Do you think I should give her some? By the way, I live in the Tampa Bay area of FL (New Port Richey, to be exact), so if anyone reading this knows of a good vet to take her to, please let me know. Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:12:40 PM by zukitchi »

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 03:52:04 PM »

I haven't had any experience with that medication myself but upon doing reasearch I found this site:
http://www.davidson-chinchillas.co.uk/pages/prevention___treatment_of_bloat_in_chinchillas.php
which mentions it.  You might find the article helpful.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

zukitchi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 06:21:54 PM »

So I took Linda to the emergency vet today. Before going, I called and asked if the doctor on duty took chinchillas. They told me that she did, but the one who comes in at 6:00 PM does not, so I figured I better take her to be safe. The doctor listed to her breathing and heart which were normal. She even inspected all of her teeth to check for malocclusion and spurring, and said the teeth were fine. After seeing the poops, (both the samples I brought and what Linda produced in the office), the doctor said that she is probably just dehydrated. She just recommended fresh pineapple and/or papaya, or the juices of these fruits fed with a dropper if Linda does not willingly eat them whole. She said these fruits will help increase pepsin levels. She also wanted me to make sure she drinks plenty of fluids, even if that means I have to feed her with a dropper myself. The doctor also mentioned that sometimes they get hairballs (which I never heard of in chins, but okay...), and these fluids/fruits will help with that. I guess I kind of still feel uneasy about this whole thing. I Googled the vet I saw when I got home, and found out that she had been arrested in '04 or '05 for abusing her mentally disabled brother. She also has a negative reputation in the greyhound/whippet breeding community and many dogs have apparently died under her care due to poor conditions. So I'm not really sure what else to do at this point.  :-\

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 06:51:18 PM »

What she recommended is sound advice.  Chinchillas can get hairballs.  Usually you see it more in fur biters but any chinchilla that grooms himself can ingest some of that hair. 

Lowcountry Chinchillas

zukitchi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 02:00:56 AM »

Well, Linda seems to have a little more interest in her normal foods and has a bit more energy. Poops are still tiny and dry, and she still trys to pull them out on her own. Guess we'll see how she does tomorrow. I hope things are starting to move along.

Ladykelia

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 02:37:24 AM »

Good luck to Linda!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »

Yes good luck and keep us posted, we worry too!
Debbie.nl.ca

zukitchi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 07:55:02 PM »

I am pleased to report that even her droppings have improved now. They are darker, moister, and larger. Not yet completely normal, but they are well on their way. I am so relieved.  ::nod::

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 01:05:12 PM »

I am glad to hear that things sound to be getting back to normal...I was told though...if you feel your chin is feeling under the weather...one should cut the treats. And offer them their hay and pellets. Though what the vet suggested seemed to work. Which makes sense...it being fruits is what was told to be given.
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 07:17:32 AM »

::think:: Being lethargic is always a big red flag. IT is a warning that something is not right and needs to be checked out. Any change from the norm is a red flag ... some are just bigger than others. Change in the intake of food or water and activity (or lack of it) are the big flags that can often looked over (temporarily) with many other pets, but not chinchillas.  Most chins are almost gone before they let us see the signs of illness ... unless we are constantly vigilant.

The peanutbutter and honey kinda threw me ...  :o ... nuts contain a natural oil that can not be properly digested by chinchillas and will, over time, cause a fatty liver to develop,  please do not give your chin nuts of any kind ... fatty livers kill. Personally, the ONLY time I will suggest any nut is when a chin is impacted or blocked and even then, I suggest it as a last ditch effort.  I have found one or two almonds will usually un-stop a chin when nothing else seems to work.

Being impacted can be from dehydration (the major cause) and from fur.  (I have not used the pinapple before, but will try it ... thanks for the 'heads up' on that one.)  I use fresh and/or dried papaya as a once or twice weekly treat, which seems to help keep things moving and it is rich in vitamins.   I also add a little green papaya enzyme in the supplement.

For fur blockage, Petramalt, found in the cat and dog section of the pet store, also works wonders for unblocking or preventing blockage.  I use it (about the size of a small pea) once a month, as a preventative.  It is formulated especially to keep fur from blocking the intestines of cats, but is also safe for chinchillas.  It comes in a tube.

There's lots of pros and cons concerning raisins and cranraisins.  I have found, over the years, given sparingly, they do not to have an ill effect on chins (unless the chin is diabetic).  When I say sparingly ... keep in mind: in proportion to size {of us to a chinchilla} one raisin is equal to the size of a small whole cake for two.  Of course, there are much more healthy treats that can be offered ... papaya {fresh or dried} and rose hips are two of the best I have found.  Papaya can be purchased fresh and/or dried.  Rose hips can be purchased dried or can be dried from your own garden IF you do not use any chemicals on your roses as they grow.   Both can be dried naturally or in a dehydrator or the oven ... but, NOT in the microwave.

I should also mention that shortly before my 1st post I did see her eat a couple of her own poops as she was pooping them out.

This is not unusual ... chins do not fully digest their food the first time around and will often process it a second time ... much like cows chewing their cud.  It may not sound very appetizing, but in lean times in the wild, it often provides the nutrition needed to survive.  On the other hand   :-\   it is also a way of passing parasites from one chin to another.  I think chins often have poo fights from one cage to another every night (each morning the herd room looks like it   :D )  Thus one of the reasons for moving a sick chin to a separate room.  (I've also had a few thrown at me when I'm not moving fast enough to suit the chins at feeding time.)    rofl 

As a general rule, when one chin becomes ill, I will usually separate it into another room from all the other chins ... until I am sure it is well ... BUT ... when there are two chins in the same cage, especially when the two chins have been together for that many years, I move them both to a separate room and allow them to remain in the same cage. Reasons:  1.  If it is contagious, by the time it is noticed, it is probably already spread to the cagemate and 2. because chins are very affectionate and bonded.  3. The added love, comfort and affection the cagemate provides can often be the difference in one getting well or not.  4. A pair that has been together that long ... if one dies, often the other (even if it is not infected) will just give up and die by refusing to eat or drink.   I have seen this happen myself in my own herd with long-term partners (This is a downfall in pair breeding). Chinchillas can live to be in their late teens and low to mid twenties on rare occasions ... in human time that would be 80 to 90 years.  I have seen human couples do the same, they just seem to loose the will to live when the other one passes.  Chins have all the emotions humans have and will often react the same.

Constipation and/or diarrhea to humans brings on the feelings of discomfort, bloating and pain, but is not usually life threatening and can be corrected fairly easy.  
Constipation in a chinchilla is that and more ... it can be the beginning of the end.  A chinchilla's digestive system MUST work continually and properly or a chinchilla will probably "go down" (die) rather quickly. Intestinal problems in a chinchilla tend to have the "snowball" effect.  If not corrected almost immediately, it will add more problems to the situation. Example: Dirrhea depletes the body fluids, weakening the chin and causing the feces to become dry and smaller, often becoming impacted.  Once impacted/blocked the food eaten by the chin fills the tummy and has no where to go ... the tummy stays full, telling the brain it is not hungry ... leading to eventual self starvation.

I am pleased to report that even her droppings have improved now. They are darker, moister, and larger. Not yet completely normal, but they are well on their way. I am so relieved.  ::nod::
::clapp::  Sounds like your Linda is headed in the right direction!  Keep a close eye on her!

I am glad to hear that things sound to be getting back to normal...I was told though...if you feel your chin is feeling under the weather...one should cut the treats. And offer them their hay and pellets. Though what the vet suggested seemed to work. Which makes sense...it being fruits is what was told to be given.
"Cutting the treats" depends on what the treats are and what the illness is.  Cutting the treats and regular pellets is often done when a chin is feverish and/or showing signs of not digesting the food properly (green feces) or in the beginning signs of constipation or diarrhea.  The chin is given strictly water and hay in an attempt to cleans the system with "all natural" food (hay), that has no additives.  Treats can be any food that is given as a special thing (usually hand fed) rather than what is in it's regular pellet food.  Some treats are good and other are not so good.   A good treat adds needed vitamins, nutrients and/or fiber.  Bad treats are "empty calories" ... the same as with humans.   ::nod::

Please keep us posted on Linda's condition.

::wave::  Jo Ann

Sorry this was so "long-winded"  I haven't been on very much lately and am trying to play 'catch up' with my computer time.   :blush2:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:02:38 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up