Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Birth quiestions... pleasae help asap  (Read 1882 times)

sbutts

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Birth quiestions... pleasae help asap
« on: January 05, 2010, 01:25:36 PM »

I have a pregnant chin ( kiwi) she has already delivered one chinchilla this morning.... Everythign I've read said if there are multiple kits it could be like 45 minute intervals.... Well she kept us up all night chewing on the cage so whe nwe woke up at 9:50 am there was already one lil kit who was still very wet- the squeaking woke me up.... She didnt eliver an after birth until about 2 hours after the fact..... How can I tell if there are more kits- she was rather large so it seemed as if she would have at least 2..... she keeps looking between her legs but im not sure if she is just cleaning up blood or what..... thsi was her first litter.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Birth quiestions... pleasae help asap
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 03:03:05 PM »

::silly::  Kits can come almost immediately one after another or it can be hours.   Generally they are 15 minutes to an hour a part ... giving her plenty of time to clean each kit ...

If she has not delivered another one, but keeps cleaning herself and checking ... there could easily be another kit or two.  It's hard to say without being there. 

How old is Kiwi?

How much does the first kit weigh?  Does the first kit now seem to be active? 

Is there any bright red blood from Kiwi?   If so or if she continues to bleed, get her to a vet a.s.a.p.

It's hard to know the amount of time that has passed ... we do not know what time zone you are in. 
How long has it been since the first kit was born?  Has there been any other kits been born?

Can you see any movements on the outside of the tummy area that would make you believe there is a kit moving inside of her still?

Is she still in labor?  (contractions/stretching/panting etc.)  Prolonged delivery of kits, once the first kit is born, is not a good sign.

Watch her carefully ... if you see a kit part of the way out, but not coming out (stuck), especially rear end/tail or legs first, you will need to help her finish delivering it ... or get to a vet quick ... if this happens ... call the vet and let them know you are on the way so they can be prepaired and expecting you.

You can call me if you are home with her and still think there is still a problem.  (540) 345-7121

:P   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

sbutts

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Birth quiestions... pleasae help asap
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 04:10:01 PM »

Kiwi is about 2 yrs old. I got her in May with a male ( Gizmo) and they were about a year and a half. She's not bleeding anymore. I think her first litter was jsut one adorable little kit.
Thanks for the help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up