Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me learn past the basics!  (Read 5764 times)

paul2641

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Help me learn past the basics!
« on: December 05, 2009, 10:07:03 AM »

Hey I'm extremely new to Chinchilla's only getting my first pair less then 24 hours ago, But I love them dearly I know the bare basicsl!

Like they need:

A brown Pellet not any of the surgery mixture crap!

Fresh hay for digestion!

And fresh water!

I know all this basically from my rabbits, But don't worry I'm not feeding them rabbit food, I got them there own pellets!

So if ye could just give me any more basic information, Eg on how to build a loving bond, What I can and can't feed them, And anything else that pops into your head!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Help me learn past the basics!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:43:52 AM »

::silly::  My website is geared for the beginning owner or breeder of chinchillas.  It's rather large, but has lots of information on it.  { www.luvnchins.com/ }  You may want to start with this page: http://www.luvnchins.com/ChinchillaDictionaryOfTerms.html
This page will help you to understand many things about chinchillas and the different "terms" that are often use when talking about them.
Followed by: http://luvnchins.com/qa.html ; http://luvnchins.com/info.html  ;  http://luvnchins.com/note.html 
There is a section on the index page which will lead you to several pages that contain many videos that are both fun and informative.
The "Chin Toons" are fun, but also teach.  Enjoy!

::wave::  Jo Ann

PS  You will find that on my website and on this forum, I am very opinionated.  I am not a veterinarian, but I have devoted well over a decade to chinchillas and learning all I can learn from and about them.  No one's opinion or advice should be taken over an experienced qualified licenced veterinarian that is familiar with chinchillas.  We are here to help others learn from what we have learned, to avoid pitfalls and to help all chinchillas have a better life and an optimistic future for generations to come.  Some here have yet to get their first chinchilla and others (like me) that have had 200+ chinchillas at one time or another.  The number of chinchillas a person has does not make them an authority on chinchillas or a good or bad breeder ... It is what they produce and the condition of their chinchilla(s) and what they produe that counts.
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

paul2641

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 07:52:13 AM »

Hey,
Thanks for that Jo Ann but that information wasn't what I was really looking for, I'm not planning to breed chinchilla's I just wanted to know the bare basics like what I can and can't give to a chin to eat, How much exercise a chin needs, And other important stuff I need to know.

But thanks all the same Jo Ann!

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 08:21:44 PM »

heres some info, not everything.. and pardon my mistakes,new keyboard.

no petstore sells chin safe wheels you can go to either of these places.. [theres also one called flying saucer but i don't know where to get it]

http://www.questhavenpets.com/chinchillas/products/products.html

http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=129_142_143_144

make sure to get the 15".

most pet stores do not sell good quality food.  some if lucky will sell, oxbow or mazuri.  those are 2 good quality foods.  depending on where you live only certain foods will be available.  other good names are penpals, kline, nutrena, panr [purina advanced nutrition rabbit [the only rabbit pellet safe for chins].tradition.  there could be a few others, can't think of more names tho.'\

safe treats. some say once a day, some day only 2-3 times a week.

rose hips or buds
non frosted cheerios or shredded wheat
old fashioned oats.. plain..not the instant

no nuts or seeds.  they can't digest like humans and their dig. tract is delicate.

some people will say never treat with these others will say they are okay but in MODERATION ONLY.
and they are okay but IN MODERATION ONLY.. AND I DO MEAN MODERATION.

Raisins...i prefer not to use them becuase there are so many healthy alternatives and too many raisins can cause problems down the road.  sugary treats are never good for chinchillas. 

alot of things at the pet stores will say chinchilla safe..do not believe it.. most stuff is chinchilla dangerous.. for instance those big plastic balls.. do not get one.. chins do not sweat and can very easiy over heat in those. 

bedding, never use cedar, kd pine, aspen and carefresh are safe. make sure they dont' ingest.

never anything plastic with chins;..very dangerous.

teeth are always growing, they always need to chew and there is a safe wood list and unsafe wood list.

you will here contradictions on some subjects.. if not sure what to do..don't.. keep the chin safe. 

i foudn this page.. i was looking for the safe wood list, i couldn't find the one i wanted sorry, but this page has some info.. hopefully its enough to get started..

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 08:23:37 PM »

opps sorry forgot the timothy hay... unlimited.. and food too, chins will not overeat... and its' best to feed them at during the evening when they are more active.  otehr safe hays are oat, brome, botanical just to name a few.. i like switching off cuz they chew each hay with a different motion, therefore helpign to keep the back teeth trim also.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 09:32:55 AM »

Hey I'm extremely new to Chinchilla's only getting my first pair less then 24 hours ago, But I love them dearly I know the bare basics ....
So if ye could just give me any more basic information, Eg on how to build a loving bond, What I can and can't feed them, And anything else that pops into your head!
Hey,
Thanks for that Jo Ann but that information wasn't what I was really looking for, I'm not planning to breed chinchilla's I just wanted to know the bare basics like what I can and can't give to a chin to eat, How much exercise a chin needs, And other important stuff I need to know.
But thanks all the same Jo Ann!
  Sorry, I thought I was giving you many of the "basics" new chinchilla owners need to know on those pages I listed.  Glad to hear you knew it all and did not need the information.

My Little Jamie

paul2641

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 09:39:12 AM »

Hey Jean,

Thanks for all the info but unfortunately I'm living in Ireland and Chinchilla's are a very new exotic animal into the county they have only been in here for a year at max, And there is very poor selection on food, There is only one pure brown pellet available to chinchilla's on the Irish market and I'm not sure it is the best of quality but at the moment the majority of there diet is Hay, I will see can I get one of the local pet shops to supply one of those chinchilla foods you listed! How often do they need to have exercise at the moment I'm playing with them 20 minutes if not till an hour daily?

Sorry Jo Ann I didn't mean to offend you but alot of those terms were related to breeding and alot of the information was about breeding, I'm really looking for the basics of the basics, Thanks all the same  ;)!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:41:09 AM by paul2641 »

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 12:38:12 PM »

::silly::  No offence taken, I just thought I was giving you what you ask about.  Yes, some of it is dealing with breeding ... many new owners make the mistake of breeding without learning the basics, so I like to cover that also. 
Chinchillas can live on hay and water.  As a matter of fact, when a chinchilla is ill, most vets will put them on hay and water and not give the chinchilla pellets.  Most chinchilla pellets are based on alfalfa hay because it has the highest nutrition value.
You are saying brown pellets ... most of ours are green ... can you list the ingredients on the bag/box saying what the pellets contain?
Treats {one a day of one, not of each one} treats are just that, a treat and is hand fed after doing what you want them to do.   :::grins::  (great training tool)
Papaya and rose hips are my favorite treats because they contain many vitamins that are good for chinchillas.  Of course one piece can be divided into smaller pieces to count as one treat, while the chin thinks he is getting several treats.   :D
Plain Cherrios, Mini Wheats, natural whole grain oats, old fashion oatmeal (not instant), dried macaroni, dry wheat toast and crackers are also good treats.  Even hay, hand fed, will often be considered a treat by your chin.  (*burnt/blackened wheat toast can be used to help correct diarrhea)
The flying saucer wheel can be obtained from Meadowbrook Chinchillas (Dr. Marty Hull is the original inventor of it.) at:  http://www.chin-chillas.com/exercisewheels.html
The things they can not have is often more important than those they can have.
Nuts, over a period of time will cause a fatty liver because they can not be properly digested due to the natural oils in them.
Chinchillas are vegetarians by nature, not by choice.  Their systems can not digest meat or meat by products ... meat kills chinchillas.
No plastics {except PVC pipe} should be in their cages.  White PVC plumbing pipe comes off in a powder form, not the chunks like most plastics.
Never use bedding that has added odor controllers ... the fumes from the odor controllers can cause a major respiratory infection in chinchillas.
Cedar is a "no-no" for this same reason.
Fruits and veggies that are grown with pits in them are thought to be deadly for chinchillas.
Aluminum and other soft metals will be chewed and consumed by chinchillas, so they are a big NO-NO.
Most hard woods are considered a no-no for chinchillas.
Chemical fumes from some air fresheners, colognes, perfumes and cleaners are often deadly for chinchillas.
Never allow your little one down on the rug after it has been cleaned until it is completely dry all over ... the chemicals used to clean the carpet can enter through the feet and kill your little one.  The same goes for insecticides that may be used in the home.

My Little Jamie

Advocate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 12:43:26 PM »

If you can't get some "chin things and food" locally, I think everything is available on the Internet (thank goodness).

;)

paul2641

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 03:44:34 PM »

Hey Thanks,

Jo Ann that was exactly the kind of information I was looking for!

The pellets are some German brand I believe and don't have any English on them and don't have ingredients listed.

This is the box the pellets are in if it helps:

As for where to let them out I think my own room is most suited as the only wires I have in the room belong to my fish tank which I'm sure I could keep safe while supervising there play time! The only thing is while I'm bring one up the stairs and leave it in my room can I trust it for 5 minutes or so while I get the other?

Oh and so ye all know I have no intention at all to breed chinchilla's I leave that to the experts!

A few questions to you Jo Ann, By fruits with pits what do you mean I don't really understand?

And I was told to use wood shavings for the bedding, I have been using it for my hamster for years now and It has never seemed to shorten there life span, Is it also safe for chinchilla's The pet shop was also using them for the chinchilla's.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 03:49:33 PM by paul2641 »

reuben2009

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 04:33:26 PM »

Never use bedding that has added odor controllers ... the fumes from the odor controllers can cause a major respiratory infection in chinchillas.

What about animal freshener for the bedding. my bedding does not have the odor controllers in it, but i have a bottle that says it is chin friendly, and you spray it on the bedding while they are playing and wait 15 minutes or so until it dries before allowing them back in the cage. Should i stop doing this?

paul2641

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 05:04:40 PM »

What about animal freshener for the bedding. my bedding does not have the odor controllers in it, but i have a bottle that says it is chin friendly, and you spray it on the bedding while they are playing and wait 15 minutes or so until it dries before allowing them back in the cage. Should i stop doing this?

I say that is your best bet, Sometimes the bottle lies and you end up learning the hard way!

paul2641

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 05:11:46 PM »

Sorry I'm also wondering can you train your chinchilla like you would train a dog, One of my chinchilla's seems to jump into my hands when I open the door only when I want him to? Can I teach the other one to do this, Or is this particular guy just eager to get out?

Crimson_Ham

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 06:18:31 PM »

most pet stores do not sell good quality food.  some if lucky will sell, oxbow or mazuri.  those are 2 good quality foods.  depending on where you live only certain foods will be available.  other good names are penpals, kline, nutrena, panr [purina advanced nutrition rabbit [the only rabbit pellet safe for chins].tradition.  there could be a few others, can't think of more names tho.'\

This reminds me of a question I asked at the petstore that no one could answer... The rabbit food I get is a 25 lb bag and labeled small animal food (expecting the tab on the end where it says rabbit) so I was wondering what exactly the difference was? and why it says small animal all over it so if you don't pay attention you don't know it's for rabbits...?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 12:40:31 PM »

"animal freshener for the bedding" is an odor controller by a different name ... It can cause respiratory infections in chinchillas which can kill a chinchilla.  Even after it dries, when the chin urinates on it, it makes it 'active it' again.  If cages are cleaned on a regular basis, you should not have a problem with odor. 
If you ever smell an odor from a chinchilla it will be when she is in season (but even this is rare),
or, if she/he has a urinary tract infection which should be checked by the vet,
OR if the feces/poop has a foul odor ... this is very bad and a chin should see a vet immediately if the poop gives off a foul odor.
Sorry I'm also wondering can you train your chinchilla like you would train a dog, One of my chinchilla's seems to jump into my hands when I open the door only when I want him to? Can I teach the other one to do this, Or is this particular guy just eager to get out?
The one that jumps in your hand trust you more.  The other one should do it in time ... just keep trying.   :)
This reminds me of a question I asked at the petstore that no one could answer... The rabbit food I get is a 25 lb bag and labeled small animal food (expecting the tab on the end where it says rabbit) so I was wondering what exactly the difference was? and why it says small animal all over it so if you don't pay attention you don't know it's for rabbits...?
This sounds like a company that makes food for many different small animals ... most companies do not do the research for each animal ... They see that chinchillas are in the rodent family, so they assume chinchillas can have the same thing rats can have, but this is not true.    I would approach this one with caution ... check the label and see if it has what you need for your chinchilla or rabbit, which ever you are purchasing feed for.  You can check out the proper ingredients on other websites that list the ingredients for the ones you know are good for your pet.
  Check out this page, click on Chinchilla, then click on the product, it will give you the complete list of what is in it.  https://www.mazuri.com/Home.asp?Products=1&Opening=2

My Little Jamie

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up