Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: help me!!!!!  (Read 11792 times)

sugar_spice

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: help me!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006, 07:04:07 PM »

Well my female chin is smaller than my male. He looks healthy and well but my female is really skinny. i got my female chin from my boyfriends cousin but before that she was with another owner who i think treated her badly im not so sure of her proper origin. they do cuddle together but sometimes u hear them having little arguments its nothing serious or i would seperate them do u think i should? my male chin was bought from a pet store and has been fine since the first day i got him i think he is about 2and a half yrs and my female well she is definatly older but im not sure how much older. ermm i have a another question. when i sort there cage or give them treats my male chin always comes over and jumps on my hands and he lets me take him out but most times when i hold him he wriggles and trys to get away why is he doing this? thats another thing to my female never comes to me. i always have to coax her with treats. i try to spend alot of time with them so they will trust me and my male does but my female doesnt i dont get it? i think shes came to me once and then struggled so much i had to put her back in the cage. i was kinda thinking that my male could be bullying her. ive seen him grab food from her before but thats about it and thats normally why they argue cause he does that but they still cuddle with each other all the time im really confused.  ??? ::shrug::

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 06:30:20 AM »

::silly:: Hi,

If the female's earlier owner treated her badly, that would answer most of your questions.  If treated badly by humans before, she has reason to be afraid of humans ... for her, it's just going to take more time to get acquainted and trust you, then she should become friendlier. ::nod::  Whatever you do, do not chase her or hold her to tightly (especially around the rib area) ... this will make her fear you.  :'(

When a female is put into breeding (placed with a male), she should be healthy and in condition for breeding, carrying and delivering kits ... it does not sound like she is.  I would have never put them together, considering her health.  :-\

Why does he wiggle when you hold him?  Could be several reasons.  (1) You may be holding him to tight.  (2) If you are not supporting his hind feet, he is afraid he is falling and is trying to prevent that.  (3) Chins are very clean animals and do not want to pee on their owners ... when they start wiggling, sometimes that is their way of telling you they need to get down to go elsewhere to pee.  (4) They want down to play ... chinchillas love their freedom and love to explore everything.  rofl   Those are just a few of the reasons.  Chinchillas are not a 'hug me, hold me' animal, they love their freedom to much.

You kinda answered your own question there ... "she came to me once but STRUGGLED SO MUCH I had to put her back"  ... she was probably struggling for one of the above reasons and you did not let her down, by holding on to her, you put fear into her.  You will have to earn her trust again.  ::)

If your male is bullying her, especially about the food, you need to separate them.  If she is pregnant, she needs all the proper nutrition she can get.  :-[

Try to look at it from the chin's point of view ... would you want to stay where someone takes your food away from you?  :(

::wave::
   Jo Ann
[/i]

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

sugar_spice

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2006, 09:01:50 AM »

thanx for all that ill seperate them today and keep you posted on what happens i just went out today and bought another nest box so now i can put them in different cages.  :)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 04:54:39 PM »

What are these nest boxes for, you mean just some kind of hut/house for the do you?
Just curious. ::balloon::
Debbie.nl.ca

sugar_spice

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 06:04:23 PM »

yeah lol!! im from scotland and i guess thats just what i call them. i recently got another little "hut" lol! so ive seperated my chins now and theyve got a little house each now so im monitoring there progress to see if its any better than what it was seems ok so far but i shall keep ya all posted!! ;)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2006, 08:36:27 AM »

::silly::Hi Sugar Spice,

It's been a while since we've heard from you ... how's your chin doing now?  Any kits yet?

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up