Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: help me!!!!!  (Read 11791 times)

sugar_spice

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
help me!!!!!
« on: May 27, 2006, 05:33:15 PM »

[/font
I think my female chin might be pregnant but i dont really know what to look for shes been acting really weird and never really comes out her nest box so i dont know if shes pregnant or ill?? could someone tell me what the signs are of a pregnant chin??? thanx x

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: help me!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 06:50:35 PM »

There really arn't any sure signs of pregnancy except delivery.  ;D
Sometimes you can weight the female and notice a gradual gain, but if she isn't used to being held its not a good idea to handle her so much during pregnancy.  With twins and triplets the Mom will get big, but single babies can sometimes be carrier without any real visible change. It might be easier to rule out sickness.  How is her food and water intake?  How do her poops look?  If you sneak into the room at night when all is dark how is she acting?

Is she housed with a male right now?

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

sugar_spice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 01:43:43 PM »

thanx for replying. she eats and drinks well and her poops just look the same as my male chins. she is housed with her partner right now but iam going to seprate them if she is pregnent. she is lively at night not as lively as my male chin but he is younger than her. the reason i thought she might be sick is her hair is falling out or she is pulling it out and she is skinny my male chin is quite a wee fatty but she is fairly skinny but her stomach does suggest that she could be pregnant. and you can see her nipples aswell. my male chin is easier to handle than my female she was badly treated in her last home and i think she is still getting used to it. but she does come to me sometimes but i do not try and grab her if she does not want to be handled. please write back thanx ;) :) ::) ::)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 05:50:18 PM »

Most times if you can see the nipples the female is very pregnant. Do you know if she has been bred before?   I do have a few girls that have have had several litters and their nipples never really go back to normal.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

sugar_spice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 07:03:01 AM »

i dont think she has been bred b4 to be safe im going to put her in a seprate cage. and hope for the best i really hope she is pregnant thanx for youre help. ::) :) ;) :)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 08:44:26 AM »

If she is close you may find her laying on her side a lot.
Also if you jusy sit her in your hands with one under her belly you may feel kits move, even see them sometimes.
But as Jamie said if it's just one it can be hard to tell.
Did you find a mating plug?
The gals pee a lot more when their pregnant too.
Debbie.nl.ca

sugar_spice

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 08:54:09 AM »

i didnt find a mating plug and ive never seen her sleep on her side shes always in her nest box. ive seen my male lying on his side. but the only real signs of pregnancy ive seen are the nipples and how her tummy feels. oh i have another question can chinchillas get fleas most people say they cant but my wee chins are scratching themselves and i thot maybey they had them the dont itch all the time.  ;) :) :::grins::

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 11:17:21 AM »

Chinchillas with good fur quality can't get fleas.  If you blow into the fur of a good coated chinchilla you will see that you can not see the skin (or at least not more than a pin head size area).  Fleas can't get to the skin either from all of that hair.  With that said I have seen chinchillas with really poor fur quality so I guess there is a chance that fleas could get to the skin of a very poor quality chinchilla....

Chinchillas do get itches so an occasional scratch is expected.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

sugar_spice

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 08:08:29 AM »

well my little man smokey hes got a really lovely coat of fur but my wee girl little kim she hasnt you can blow her fur and see her skin buts shes always been like that since i first got her im really worried about her that shes ill. hopefully not though i think i might book her in to see the vet. beacause i keep finding her fur all over the cage she must be tearingit out maybe shes depressed or something i dont know but i will take her to the vet and make sure everythings alrite.  ;) :::grins:: :) ::) :-[

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 03:30:02 AM »

::silly::Hi,
    When you say she is a bit skinny ... is she just not fat OR is her spine showing some?  If you can see/feel the ridge of the spine along the back, she is to thin.
    Her fur slipping could be from fear, stress or a number of other things ... one being she may be in season and the fur that is comming out is from the male chasing her around the cage at night.    :blush2:
    Fleas, mites and such are not supported on a healthy chin, but with one that is loosing lots of fur (bald spots) ... it might be possible.  Are you giving her a vitamin supplement to help her out a bit?
   If she is pregnant and close to time, normally (with 2 or more kits), her belly will feel as tight as a ripe watermelon, her teats will elongate and get pinker, she will usually almost double or triple the intake of water the last 24 hours before delivery and she should be eating more than normal.
    If you can get her to sit still long enough, you might be able to feel the kit/kits move ... if you can, it is usually less than two weeks before they are born.  Sit her in your lap with one hand under her ... fingers toward the tail ... give her a treat or something to help keep her still and wait ...  :-[ ... sometimes it can take as much as 20 to 30 minutes.  Do NOT push or poke around her tummy ... you could kill the kit/kits.
    Keep us posted!
[/i]

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

sugar_spice

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 07:26:08 AM »

hi jo anne, i can feel her spine very clearly i cant see it though she isnt bald either its just her coat isnt that thick. but i do agree she is to skinny what kind of vitamins should i give her??? but its a worrying amount of hair thats falling out its not like big clumps but it is alot and unless you see it on the cage you wouldnt think her hair was falling out. ive sat her on my lap before a couple of weeks ago and felt her tummy it is tight and i can feel her nipples but i never felt any kits moving about so she must not be due very soon. she is eating and drinking just as much as my male chin but compared to him she doesnt look as good hes all springy and lively and his coat is thick and gorgeous she does come alive at night but nt as much as smokey does. thanx for youre reply btw alot of usefull info. but please could you tell me as soon as wot vitiman supplements i should give her.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 07:49:36 AM »

::silly::
The Kline Supplement does great.  It was developed by Alice Kline before she passed away a couple of years ago. (A great loss to the Chinchilla Community.)  I use it.
Carole Kessler handles the supplement.  You can get in touch with her at:   ckessler@earthlink.net  OR  Web Page: http://www.kessler-chins.com/

Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

sugar_spice

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 01:39:14 PM »

thanx  ;)

chinchilla88

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 12:20:47 PM »

i am not an expert on chinchilla pregnancy so i would say take your chinchilla to a vet or a near by pet store if she is sick you dont want her to die so take her somewhere just to be safe i hope that was help to you   ::chinhappy::    :chin

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 04:44:00 PM »

::silly:: Hi,

Do you know how old your little female is?  How long have you had her?

Females, as a general rule, are larger than the males.  How old is he?

Where did you get your female chin? 

Do your chins cuddle with each other?  Do they fight?

Keep us posted on their conditions and progress.   ::nod::

Jo Ann
[/i]

My Little Jamie

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up