Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: constipated & won't eat!  (Read 11586 times)

LindyLu

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: constipated & won't eat!
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 10:18:49 AM »

I will try that mixture & the stroking.
I need to run to the store to get a food processor though because my blender doesn't chop things that small.
Should I use Nutri-Cal for dogs or for cats? or does it not matter?
I would assume for cats since the KMR is also for cats...?

Harleychin

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 08:03:37 PM »

I'm still trying to find you a vet.I don't know if there is no on my forum from your area or if they just haven't logged on yet.But I will keep trying.
Please try the link Jo Ann gave you CAchins ,They are a great group
Sandy

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 11:29:14 PM »

I ordered the Lifeline, it's being shipped early Monday.
I force-fed the mixture of KMR/petromalt/Nutri-Cal/Almond into him tonight...followed by some water....then rubbed his back and his belly for awhile. His belly was sounding weird...I could hear popping and squishing whenever I stroked it. He laid very still while I did this.

I'm just so frustrated because I called his vet weeks ago, and did everything he told me to do. Then I did my own research and did everything it pointed me toward. Then "talked" to experts online and did everything they suggested. Then had his vet physically see him, and have done everything he asked...and still NO CHANGE.
Schroeder is just not getting better.
He's deteriorating before my eyes. :'(

Harleychin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 07:47:50 AM »

He's most likely has some gas trapped too.This might not help,but it won't hurt them.Go buy some simethicone (baby gas relief)Most chin like the taste and will take it willingly.Give him a whole dropper full about4 to 6 hours.
Keep up the gentel rubbing and I know this sounds mean but try to get him to run around some.Exercise helps move things along.
I blame your vet for this,you have done everthing you've been told do.
He didn't test the stool for parasites,he took what may have been a simple problem and made it major problem.
Sandy

Harleychin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 11:32:03 AM »

Heres one my guys found.
Petroglyph Animal Hospital 505 898-8874.

Sandy

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 01:32:03 PM »

Thanks for trying Harley ... that's actually my old vet! I took Dewey to him once when I first got him (rehoming had made him start barbering himself) ... and this guy told me to buy another chinchilla...a female. I told him I didn't want to breed. He also told me to feed Dewey lots of "roughage"... (although I read you shouldn't offer chins much more than their pellets, hay, water, and occasional treat). So I was pretty sure he didn't really know what he was talking about.

I took both chins to my "current" vet about 6 weeks later. At that appointment he was great. Dewey had a cold, and he gave us some eye drops for him - and it was just a wellness visit for schroeder because he had just been rescued. At THAT time he weighed them, he examined them both completely... ears, nails, teeth, penis's, whiskers, everything! He asked lots of questions about their habits, etc. He was awesome.
I have no idea why he is FAILING ME now!! My mom said he is really over-worked, overbooked, and was probably ready to GO HOME that night I took Schroeder in.... but that's no excuse. =(

I am beginning to think there are NO good chinchilla vet's in my area.

UPDATE:
After the mix & belly rub last night, he seemed to have a little more life in him this morning. He was jogging in his wheel, and drinking from his water bottle on his own. Still pretty slow and mellow, but at least he was moving around and TRYING to play a little. I will get some gas drops in him tonight! Thanks! If nothing else maybe it will ease some of the pain.

Harleychin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 07:53:17 PM »

I'm sorry we've had no luck finding you a vet.another person said to try and google vets in your area.

I'm glad he's feeling a little better,keep up all the stuff your doing and please keep us posted.

Sandy

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 08:48:41 PM »

I appreciate the support and help looking!
I gave him some gas drops tonight and his belly stopped making weird noises. I tried to get him to run, but he wasn't having it. I had him out of his cage, and he was just sitting....so I'd bug him a bit till he jumped away...but he'd only go like 1-2 feet, then stop again. Finally he stopped moving and just allowed me to "bug" him (I was just petting his feet and tail, but he doesn't like it).
Since he wasn't interested in free run, I put him back, and he's currently sleeping in a pile of hay.
He seems to be most unhappy in the evenings. Early AM hours is when he seems most well. Not sure why.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 08:20:35 AM »

::silly:: 
I ordered the Lifeline, it's being shipped early Monday.
I force-fed the mixture of KMR/petromalt/Nutri-Cal/Almond into him tonight...followed by some water....then rubbed his back and his belly for awhile. His belly was sounding weird...I could hear popping and squishing whenever I stroked it. He laid very still while I did this.

The sounds are normal at this point.  How often does a chin lay still to be stroked like this?  Rarely ever ... it had to feel good to him for him to be still and let you do it ... keep it up.  You may want to try the same mixture again and repeat the stroking ... always in one direction only ... towards the anus.  The petramalt is to help the poos and any fur balls to pass, the Nutri-Cal is for added nutrients he needs to get into his system.  The almond is to get the bowels going.  He's in our prayers.   :)

I'm just so frustrated because I called his vet weeks ago, and did everything he told me to do. Then I did my own research and did everything it pointed me toward. Then "talked" to experts online and did everything they suggested. Then had his vet physically see him, and have done everything he asked...and still NO CHANGE.  Schroeder is just not getting better.  He's deteriorating before my eyes. :'(
As frustrated as you must be, please do not give up ... he has already lasted much longer than most under the same circumstances, and it is because he has the will to live and you have the love and patients to try to get him well.  Because he has lasted this long, I still believe he has a chance to make it.
After the mix & belly rub last night, he seemed to have a little more life in him this morning. He was jogging in his wheel, and drinking from his water bottle on his own. Still pretty slow and mellow, but at least he was moving around and TRYING to play a little. I will get some gas drops in him tonight! Thanks! If nothing else maybe it will ease some of the pain.
Keep up everything you are doing ... it sounds like he is still trying ... and it seems to be working ... slowly but surely.  It is now where I would say there is a 50-50 chance ... early on, I would have said a 20-80 odds against him.  Yall are raising the odds every day he lives.  He is improving, just keep the faith and give him lots of TLC.

|hugs|  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 08:31:20 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 02:09:51 PM »

After his mix feeding last night, he went to sleep in his hammock and stayed there all night, and this morning he was still in there and not interested in getting up to "say good morning".
Dewey was bouncing around, getting his nose up to his bars, looking for his "breakfast" (I give them a small treat in the mornings when I wake for work) ...and Schroeder picked his head up to see me, then lay back down and went right back to sleep.
He's looking awfully pathetic these days. Today (Tuesday) marks THEE WEEKS since he got sick. I am beginning to feel like maybe I am torturing him by keeping him alive. All the forced-feedings, pain, the vet poking at him, he sleeps almost constantly but has no energy to even roll in his dust ...it can't be pleasant.

The LIFELINE should arrive Wednesday or Thursday...I'll give that a try... but if Schroeder isn't doing better by next Tuesday, perhaps I should consider putting him to sleep.
I'm so torn in which is worse...giving up on him & allowing him to die.
Or fighting to keep him alive to live a life of pain/misery. :'(

I wish I knew what was actually wrong. I don't even know if he got a parasite, or if he swallowed something he shouldn't have, or if he just has an real bad hairball... no clue.

Harleychin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 03:48:19 PM »

I know your vet did you wrong,but is there any way you would trust him to do x-ray?
An x-ray might be able to tell whats going on inside (gas,an object).An  E-Hospital might be able to do it for you to,but most are unfamiliar with chins.So if they agree make them tell you how they'll do it.
Any poo yet?If he does poo call your vet and say you want it tested.You should be able to take the poo with out having to take your chin in,but you want it fresh as possible
You'll want to know for your other chins sake.
It takes a long time to recover from gut statis.
I know how you feel ,I've been there and I cried like a baby.
Sandy

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 10:46:49 PM »

No poops yet ... just clear-yellow mucus stuff leaking from his anus.
My vet never offered an X-Ray... he offered a colon surgery in which they would go inside and SEE what's in there...but said because he's so small, the surgery could rupture his gut & kill him.
Would an x-ray pick up anything? I mean, doesn't it only really view bones? If he swallowed a piece of plastic, would it even show up on the x-ray? I'm sorry, I'm just tired of dumping more and more money into things that aren't helping him. It's so upsetting. Especially when I look at him laying there with only a quarter life left in him. :(

Did your chin make it through?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 06:39:53 AM »

:)  You know Schroder better than anyone.  Ultimately, it has to be your decision one way or the other.  I have seen some pull out of it when I thought there was no chance, and others who were lost that I thought would make it.  With the condition he is in at this point, unless he passes something very soon, the odds will again be against him.

I would not go for the surgery either ... Has he suggested an enema solution?  (I think I'm grasping at straws at this point ... you and he have tried so hard.)   Has any one out there tried this or knows someone who has?

Regardless of the decision you make, know yourself, that you have given Schroder every chance there is to be given and that you are not to blame no matter which way it goes.  Most people would have given up long ago.  Some things are just meant to be and others are not.  But there is a reason behind it all, even if it does not comfort you now, it may at a later date.  Schroder's situation may help other owners understand just how dangerous being constipated is for a chinchilla.   They may see many of the options that are available because of this thread/post. We do not normally think of being constipated as being life-threatening, but for a chinchilla it is.

Please keep us posted.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 11:00:25 AM »

I feel so sad for all you and your little furball are going through  :hugs:  It's just the worst, and my thoughts and prayers are with you. There is nothing worse than watching them like this, and you and he will know in your hearts when enough is enough.
He's one tough little chinchilla that's for sure.
Debbie.nl.ca

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 11:25:27 AM »

He's still alive this morning, but still no improvement. He's beginning to look a little hunch-back because of all the weight loss. I fed him his mix, and set him down to run....but he doesn't run. He just sits there. I put him back in his cage, and he hopped into his hammock and was sound asleep in seconds. Hopefully the lifeline arrives today.

Thanks for all the prayers, thoughts, advice, etc.
I hope that his situation might help someone else.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up