Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CHINCHILLA PUMPKIN CARVING...  (Read 4203 times)

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
CHINCHILLA PUMPKIN CARVING...
« on: November 02, 2009, 12:58:51 PM »

Well to say my son loves his chins would be saying the least. I'm so glad he said no to the choice of a reptile. And went with chins. [As most may remember my husband and I had rescued chins before we had children and knew they made great pets]

My son asked to have a chinchilla on his pumpkin this year. Which was something I hadn't planned on. So...I found myself sketching a chinchilla template that would allow more detail than just a huge hole the shape of a chin. Well here was our finished work.

I have an issue with giving the responsibility of care of the chins to my son. He's 9 1/2...but he's taking to feeding them under my watchful eye. He is wonderful chattering with them. And the one chinchilla will only let him pet him...He's very skiddish...and occasionally he'll let me pet him. But let my son walk to the cage and he's up to the cage edge waiting to be petted. It makes no sense to me...how he can like my son to pet him and not I...but since I got the chins for my son...I'm glad he chose him over me in the end.
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: CHINCHILLA PUMPKIN CARVING...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 06:22:19 AM »

::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly::  I love your chinnie pumpkin!!! That's adorable.   :::grins:: 
You may started a new trend with chinchilla owners ... wonder how many chinchilla pumpkins will be on display next year?    :)
I have an issue with giving the responsibility of care of the chins to my son. He's 9 1/2...but he's taking to feeding them under my watchful eye. He is wonderful chattering with them. And the one chinchilla will only let him pet him...He's very skiddish...and occasionally he'll let me pet him. But let my son walk to the cage and he's up to the cage edge waiting to be petted. It makes no sense to me...how he can like my son to pet him and not I...but since I got the chins for my son...I'm glad he chose him over me in the end.
There could be many reasons this little chin is allowing your son to be accepted easier.  It could be for any of the flowing reasons ...
1) Each chinchilla has it's own personality, same as humans.  Some personalities seem to "click" better than others.  It is a possibility this little one is drawn more to your son's personality than to yours. 
2) He is the one that feeds them. 
3) Chinchillas are similar to dogs and cats, as they tend to choose their "owners", regardless of who adopted them to begin with. 
4) The time he spends with the chinchillas also counts for allot, but mostly the way he is when he is with them counts even more.
5) Children tend to be more relaxed ... they have yet to contend with all the troubles of the world ... many animals are drawn to the innocence of children. 
6) Does your son get down on their eye level or below with them?  This is less threatening than standing over or being above their eye level (which most adults tend to do).
Just a few of the many reasons chins will choose one over the other.   :)

::wave::  Jo Ann

Added 11/04/09 ... The way and where you pet them could also have an effect ... carefull around the whiskers ... their whiskers are ticklish and chins tend not to like being tickled.  Try just giving a little scratch under the chins or under the arm.   :::grins::
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:09:10 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 12:55:57 PM »

Thanks Jo Ann~

LOL~ A trend with pumpkin carving...that would be cute...to see others interpretation of their beloved fur pet.

Well since the chins are only allowed one raisin a day. I do allow him to give the chins the treat. But he will stand at their cage and talk to them in a childish soft way. That they seem to adore.  :) It's rather cute...but he has taken to feed them as well. He's not near as tall as I am so maybe that is also it...The total combination possibly. I don't mind him choosing my son over me. Like I said...I prefer it since they were bought for him. Don't get me wrong...he'll come over to the side of the cage when I talk to them. Just prefers to not really be petted by me. But my son will also sit on the floor and chatter to them for long periods...or just watch them. I must say...I'm so glad that they found their way into our home. They are such a joy to be around. And when people come to visit...they'll ask to peak in on the chins. They are just the cutest and it's fun to watch grown men ask to see them. Like today...my husband's sub contractor and his employees stopped in for chili. And before leaving begged me to show them the chins. I explained they are typically sleeping so they must be quiet and not loud. So they were...and we peaked in on them. Though...maybe I'll try not hovering over them. But sit more often when talking to them. ;)
~Darlene

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 08:47:47 AM »

That is so neat!! I love it!!  Thanks for sharing.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 02:17:31 PM »

Well how cool is that great job, I love it too. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up