Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pumice types  (Read 1779 times)

ahappycamper

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Pumice types
« on: October 02, 2009, 09:55:56 PM »

I can't help but notice the pumice at my local feeder store is different than the pumice I get on ebay. The one at the feeder store is gray...it seems harder and less powdery while the one on ebay is white but softer, seems powdery. Are they both okay, or would it be better if we give them both for variation? Pumice is pretty much the same thing as lava stones you buy at Petsmart and Petco right? Just not colored.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Pumice types
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 05:23:02 PM »

The pumice stones I get are shades of grey and very porous.Looks like a hardened chunk of steel wool.
I also buy mineral blocks which are white and very much like chalk. That one is dustier than the pumice.
My chins definitely like the mineral blocks better, and rarely do I see one chewing the pumice. ::)
Mine would rather wood over anything  ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

littlestar

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:53:11 PM »

My new chinchins came with 2 pumice stones from their previous owner, but I have yet to see them so much as play with them. The LOVE the little wood blocks I put in there though... although one of them for a reason unknown frequently knaws on the cage bars as well. His teeth don't look bad so let them do as they will. I would guess that as long as what they are chewing isn't harmful to them and they aren't injesting toxic/harmful parts, who cares as long as they are happy and healthy!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 07:34:12 AM »

::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly::
The one at the feeder store is gray...it seems harder and less powdery while the one on ebay is white but softer, seems powdery. Are they both okay, or would it be better if we give them both for variation? Pumice is pretty much the same thing as lava stones you buy at Petsmart and Petco right? Just not colored.
When it comes to pumice stones and lava stones and mineral stones ... all are good ... the main thing is to find out which they like best AND which is more readily available to you.  When a chinchilla has a tooth problem, they will usually choose the softer of the three, if any.

The dust bath you have for them is also made from lava ... sometimes I will see (I should say hear) one of the little ones grinding their teeth in the dust bath dust, while taking a bath or shortly before or after.

Careful on the colored lava stones, especially the ones that look like ice cream cones ... often the dye in it will mix with the saliva in their mouths and drool down to their fur ... leaving it stained and sticky.     ::pull hair::   NOT easily cleaned up.

I use the lava stones that are squared ... you would be surprised at how quickly some of the chins will make a perfectly round ball out of it.   :D

My new chinchins came with 2 pumice stones from their previous owner, but I have yet to see them so much as play with them. The LOVE the little wood blocks I put in there though... although one of them for a reason unknown frequently knaws on the cage bars as well. His teeth don't look bad so let them do as they will. I would guess that as long as what they are chewing isn't harmful to them and they aren't injesting toxic/harmful parts, who cares as long as they are happy and healthy!

Do keep in mind ... that a chinchilla [or any animal, including humans] will choose the softer things/food to chew if they have pain in the teeth or mouth.  These problems can occur slowly over time, so it is best to check their teeth about once a month to make sure they are staying the yellow/orange color that is good for them, and/or there is no drooling, and/or watering of the eyes.  All of these can be early signs of a possible bad problem in the future.

A sudden tooth problem could be due to a bone spur, a cracked tooth, a chipped tooth, or something stuck between the teeth or in the gum ... all of which need to be checked by a vet that knows what he/she is doing.
Lava/pumice and/or mineral stones are necessity, in addition to wood chew blocks and hay ... each take care of keeping different teeth being worn down to the proper size.  They do need all three {stone, wood & hay} at all times.

Chewing on the wire can mean many things ... (1) they want out to play, (2)  they want your attention, (3)  their food bowl or water bottle is empty, and they want it filled again, or a number of other things ... it's up to you to discover what it is they are wanting.    ::think::  Chinchillas are very smart and learn quickly what gets your attention and/or what pleases you.     |hugs|

::wave::   Jo Ann
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 07:44:17 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up