Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sick chinchilla please help  (Read 4779 times)

Laura

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Sick chinchilla please help
« on: September 17, 2009, 03:26:24 PM »

My chinchilla has been sick for over a week now he was on an antibiotic and i had him back at the vet yesterday and he was put on another antibiotic. He wont eat or drink now, is there anything i can feed him other than his regular food?
Laura

KellyGraham

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Stewie
    • View Profile
Re: Sick chinchilla please help
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 05:07:48 PM »

What did your vet diagnose the illness as? I'm trying to force feed my chin with Ox Bow critical Care recovery formula right now. He hates it. How old is your chin?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 04:15:09 AM »

::silly::  Check your posts ladies, I've made a suggestion on each of them.

For us humans constipation and/or gas is not deadly (even though we may feel like that at the time), but it can be deadly for a chinchilla.

Another thing you may want to try is to make your own "critical care" by pulverising alfalfa hay in your blender (wait until it all settles to the bottom, or you will have a cloud of green dust in your kitchen).  Place the ground hay in a container and refrigerate to cool it down completely ... the blender can actually make it heat up due to friction from the blades.

Check your local healthfood store for acidophiles and papaya enzyme/powder.   Refrigerate once it is open.

For 1/2 cup of chilled ground alfalfa hay, I use one capsule of acidophiles and about the same amount of papaya enzyme/powder.  Mix them together and store in an air tight glass jar.  Use about a teaspoon at a time mixed with a few drops of cold water ... just enough to make it a thick paste.  Form it into small footballs about the size of a raisin.  Give these to your chins one at a time ... he can have as many as he would like to have, but keep the unused portion in an air tight container in the refrigerator.  This can also be watered down enough to feed via an eye dropper.   

If your little one will not eat an almond,  it can also be ground up and mixed with the raisin-size balls.  Note: I do not normally recommend any kind of nuts for chinchillas, but when one is stopped up/constipated/impacted, it can often be the one thing that will work to get him/her moving again.

Offer your little ones oats (whole or cracked oats - not oatmeal) which can be found at your local feed store or co-op.  About a teaspoon per day is usual, as much as he/she will eat at this time is ok.

Petramalt can be found in the cat/dog section of your local pet store.  It has the consistency of toothpaste and comes in a tube.  You might try giving your little one some of it ... about the size of a pea ... once or twice a day ... not to much, it's full of sugar, but also has other things in it that is good for him/her.

Pydeolite made by Gerber Foods will help to hydrate your little one.  It is found in the baby section of the store and comes in single servings which are apple flavored.  Once the bottle is open, it can only be used for 24 hours.  This can be fed in the water bottle or by dropper.

1/2 and 1/2 Ocean Spray cranberry juice (not drink) mixed with water is good for your little one and may encourage him/her to drink.

Lettuce, about the size of a quarter is something I do not normally recommend, but it is full of liquids and fiber, so it could possibly help at this time.

Do NOT give your chin broccoli, sweet potatoes , beans or any vegtable that can cause gas ... you do not want the complications gas can cause.

OK, I think I have covered all the "homemade remedies" I know of for the moment, for this particular problem. 

::wave::  Jo Ann

Please keep us posted.  Not eating, or not drinking, or not pooping normally can all be life-threatening for a chinchilla.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 04:33:47 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 05:09:31 PM »

I so hope your little furball is feeling better, we sure hate to hear of them being sick.
The sad thing is they hide it so well, and by the time we notice it's often to late.
The fact that he's gotten through the week is a good sign.
Yes do keep us posted.
Debbie.nl.ca

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 04:54:13 AM »

Thank god Bailey is a lot better now, it seems like he has been sick forever :( He did get better but then had a relapse, last day of meds tomorrow and hopefully he will recover properly this time, he is back to his normal self eating drinking and running around, im so glad he's ok :)
Laura

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 06:25:25 AM »

Well Bailey got sick again, a few days after he finished his meds, I took him to the vet and she said he is just getting worse and he had lost a lot of weight, she said she couldnt see him getting any better and thinks he may have been born with the illness. He was only 7 months old and she said he hadnt got enough energy anymore to fight it off, and there isnt anything else i can do to help him. She said it would be in his best interest 2 have him put to sleep. So I mad the hardest decision to put him asleep  :( I miss him so much, its not the same without him, but at least he's at peace now and not suffering anymore. Rip Bailey I love you so much  :'(
Laura

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 08:15:36 AM »

:hugs:  I am so sorry to hear that he has passed.  At least he does not have to suffer anymore.

.... vet ... thinks he may have been born with the illness.
I hate to ask again, but you never did tell us what the vet said the illness was that was making Bailey sick?

Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 10:19:35 AM »

:hugs:   awww how sad, it's not much comfort to you right now, but he's not suffering any more    :hugs:
Debbie.nl.ca

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 01:40:12 PM »

Hi Jo Ann,

She just said he had really bad pneumonia, and his lungs were just getting worse and worse. She said that sometimes they can be born with problems with their lungs. She said there was nothing else that could be done to help him and it would be best to put him to sleep  ::cry222:::
I'm just glad that he isn't suffering anymore and that my other 3 babies are ok.

Laura
Laura

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 08:25:15 PM »

Aww, poor little guy. But at least you did the best you could. I'm sure he appreciates your efforts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up