Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchillas peeing on carpet  (Read 10461 times)

LindyLu

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chinchillas peeing on carpet
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 09:00:12 PM »

Just make sure you get regular fleece and not the micro-plush. I made the mistake and using a micro-plush fleece once, and the urine would bead on top of it, rather than get absorbed.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
Flease
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 03:51:50 PM »

Ok. Thanks!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 08:44:09 AM »

::silly::  LindyLu, Thanks for the "heads up" on the micro-plush fleece ... I would not have thought to look for that.  I almost bought some fleece yesterday ... for coats for my Danes.  They had red with black paw prints on it and white with black paw prints ... I was going to buy the red for my Danes and the white for some of my chins, or to use as a backdrop for pictures of the chins.  I'll have to double check and see if it is the micro or regular fleece.

My chins have fleece in their houses, and all my Moms go to the fleece to give birth. Even first timers like it better than on the shavings. 
  I believe I would preferr fleece to pine shavings, too.  ::nod::  We often forget just how sensitive these little new born kits must feel ... leaving nice soft warm mommy and coming out in to the cold world, only to land on the pine chips, which feel nothing like momma.  Maybe that's why they start running around almost immediately ... looking for a soft place sleep.   :D

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 07:47:02 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 10:24:12 AM »

Ohh!! You do photo-shoots with your chins?! How precious!! I hope you will share!! (I am really into photography!)
The micro-plush is usually much more fluffy/fuzzy than regular fleece. It's a pretty distinct difference.

I agree with the kits, the fleece has GOT to feel much better than wood shavings. ::nod::

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
Play time
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 08:24:40 PM »

I put clean bedding in there cage every sunday. Today i took the old pine chips out and put flease in and this square dog bowl with pine chips in it. Snowie fell asleep on the flease right away. It was cute.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
Littler box
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 10:45:26 AM »

So i put duct tape on the bottom of the litter box so they couldn't knock it over. I guess i put to much bedding in or i need to get a liner. Just after a little bit they have bedding out. Its not a whole lot, but its a decidnt amount. I'm afried if they get enough of it out, then they will just pee on the flease and not in the box. I'm not sure if the liner that pets mart has is safe. Its for a bunny and you put the bedding inside of it and i guess they just go on top of that and it gets absorbed.

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2009, 11:59:48 AM »

Jo-Ann, those are SO CUTE!!! I love them!!!

Hoppin - It's okay if the chins pee on the fleece. I have a few fleece blankets, and I just pull out the old peed on one every other day, and put a fresh one it. It's a lot easier, IMO, than dumping a bunch of wood shavings. Plus I don't have to worry about the shavings getting flung outside of the cage and making a mess everywhere.

Everybody has their preferences and what works best for them though. My cages are up stairs where there is no door to outside, so hauling a big tray pan downstairs is really unappealing. Plus my cages are over carpet, and I didn't like urinated-on bedding getting kicked out and sitting on the carpet *stinks!*

You can put something absorbent UNDER the fleece as long as it's tucked in well so the chins don't GET under. I like baby mattress protectors because they are absorbent on top, but don't soak through. I will sometimes put them under the fleece if it's a thin piece...then tuck the sides in well. I also use the chin-chillers on top the areas they like to pull at, so they can't get under the fleece.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
Littler box
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 10:32:50 PM »

Thats a good idea. Next time i get flease i'm going to get a bigger piece so its thicker. They have already peed on it, mostly where some of the bedding was that the took out. I know it will be some time to get them trained...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up