Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchillas peeing on carpet  (Read 10457 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chinchillas peeing on carpet
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:37:38 PM »

So During play time i'v started to knoticed that sometimes my chins will pee on the carpet. I don't know why or how to get them to stop. I always leave there cage open so they can run back in there, which they do. They go back and forth alot. I'v read on here that some people potty train there chins. How would I go about doing that?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Chinchillas peeing on carpet
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 08:08:22 PM »

::silly::   You might try using a room that does not have carpet when letting them have their out-of-the-cage play time.   :)

Lots of paper towels and a spray bottle with 1 part white vinegar to 3 parts water ... this will eliminate any stains and/or smell.   :::grins:: 

All the special things we do for those we love!   :::grins::

::wave::   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

love_my_chin

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Proud Chin Mommy ~Crash b. 4/22/09~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 11:09:26 PM »

I've actually noticed that my chin has been doing the same thing. I can always tell, too, when he is about to do it because he gets this really relaxed look on his face and then there it is  :-\. Thanks for the tips Jo Ann...I'll have to make some of that and use it to clean Crash's messes

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 05:45:07 PM »

Thanks Jo Ann..

::silly:: lol. Yes all the things we do for them. And all the things that you can do with vinegar...

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 07:50:27 AM »

Put some kind of pee pan on the floor and they should go to it.
I make sure they have been up/awake for a while before I let them out, or sure enough one or two will look for somewhere to pee.
I have has one use the metal dust pan on the floor as he could find a pee pan.  ;D
Debbie.nl.ca

Annick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »

Yes chins can be potty trained.  They aren't perfect at it but will get pretty good at it after a while.  I let them out on the linoleum floor so it doesn't really matter if they pee but we used to have a little door matt where they would pee on.  I now take their triangular litter box out of their cage and put it in a corner in their play area and my tan chin will use it 100% of the time out of the cage while my violet chin will use it 90% of the time.  But I can always tell when he's about to go in a corner of the room so i'm quick to shoo him back into his litter pan and he'll go there.  After a couple of times shooing him he's learnt to go in his litter pan outside of the cage.  :)

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 08:16:08 PM »

Debbie, thats pretty funny.  ;D

Annick, since you use a litter box for them, do you still have bedding in there cage?

I will deff try a litter box.

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 01:49:34 PM »

I just recently box trained my 5 yr old chin. I let him have free run of the entire house because he doesn't chew on anything, he's a really good boy. I will have to try putting his box out in a certain corner of the house whenever he runs and see if he chooses to use it. So far he's awesome about using it when in his cage.

As for the litter/bedding....
I use fleece blankets as bedding.  I tuck the blanket around the pan/tray of the cage floor, then just shake it off into the trash & wash it in the laundry when I clean out cages. It's EASY and they can't "fling" it outside of the cage! ;)
For peepee litter I use the soft-sorbent. It controls odor really well.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 07:40:20 AM »

::think::  I can not find anywhere that it lists the different types of wood that is in the Soft Sorbet (by Kay-Tee?) 

I did see where it said that it was wood that was not suitable for anything but "land fill".   That makes me a bit uncomfortable.

I also saw that some of it is scented and some is not ... please, keep in mind, anything that is scented or has added 'odor controllers' can be dangerous for your chin. Many scents and odor controllers give off fumes that can cause your little one to get a respiratory infection.

The fleece blankets being used as bedding ... is this where the chin can be walking on it or is it in a pan kept away from them by a wire floor?

::silly::  Jo Ann

***For those who are new to chinchillas ... chins can be litter-trained for peepee, but they continue to drop their 'little presents' where ever they may go  :D ... hand vacs are great for this clean up.   ::nod::

My Little Jamie

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 02:21:49 PM »

I am almost out of the soft-sorbent. I thought it was made of paper....? I can switch to an aspen litter.

The fleece is under their feet. No wire to walk on... (Isn't that unsafe?)
 I've read/been told that fleece is *near* impossible for chins to chew, so you can safely use it in their cages. It's tucked around the floor pan so it's straight and tight, not like a wadded up mess. It makes clean-up a breeze because I can even vacuum out the little poops without removing the bedding. And it's (obviously) soft on their feet. Schroeder came from a bad situation before me, and one of the things the vet mentioned at his wellness visit when I first got him, was that his feet looked beat up from living on "rough" floors. His feet look much better now. :)

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
Litter box
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 02:48:20 PM »

What size litter box should i get? I small one or a big one? I think i may only have room for a small one. I like the flease idea alot. I'd much rather use that than the bedding chips. I could see how easy it would be to clean there cage.

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 10:55:34 PM »

definitely a small one... you can even use a little pie/brownie pan if you want! I use a triangular (fits in the corner) rabbit litter box in Dewey's cage (but he doesn't chew plastic)....then I use a metal pie pan for him during free run. There are probably metal chinchilla pee pan's out there that are better suited for chins than the ferret/rabbit ones - (like I said, I wouldn't recommend them for most chins, it's just that my guy is NOT a chewer in the least. So picky about even what toys he'll chew).

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 08:58:20 AM »

I am almost out of the soft-sorbent. I thought it was made of paper....? I can switch to an aspen litter.
Always check your ingredients on a package ... I got that straight off of the website selling it.

The fleece is under their feet. No wire to walk on... (Isn't that unsafe?)
 I've read/been told that fleece is *near* impossible for chins to chew, so you can safely use it in their cages. It's tucked around the floor pan so it's straight and tight, not like a wadded up mess. It makes cleanup a breeze because I can even vacuum out the little poops without removing the bedding. And it's (obviously) soft on their feet. Schroeder came from a bad situation before me, and one of the things the vet mentioned at his wellness visit when I first got him, was that his feet looked beat up from living on "rough" floors. His feet look much better now. :)
Correct ... Chins that stay on wire constantly are subject to bumblefoot, which is very painful and can easily get infected.  If you can imagine walking/jumping up and down on feet that are cracked, bleeding and often have blisters ... you can imagine what it would be like for a chinchilla that is use to bouncing off of walls.   The upper floors, ramps, balconies and leaping ledges also need to be cleaned each week when you clean your little one's cage out.  The urine buildup on them can also cause bumblefoot ... in addition to harboring bacteria.  When I had only a few cages, I would clean them in the shower with the hand held shower head ... water scalding hot ... steam everywhere.  Now, with a large number of cages, take them outside and use a heavy-duty steam cleaner my hubby bought for me to use with them.  Works great!   :::grins::

::wave::  Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 11:12:06 AM »

Yes I love my Steam Shark Jo Ann, no chemicals required, but yes it's an out side job.    ;)

My chins have fleece in their houses, and all my Moms go to the fleece to give birth. Even first timers like it better than on the shavings. ;) I do have a couple of males that like to drag the fleece blanket all over the cage, so I use the sleeves off old shirts and slip a piece of pine inside, I even add extra fleece inside for padding. Tuck it all in under and the males can't take it out.  ;)
As soon as babies arrive dad comes out, ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
Flease
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 01:15:02 PM »

So its safe if  but flease in there cage instead of bedding. And i litter box?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up