Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: I saved a life tonight..  (Read 23793 times)

Pikachuthechinchilla

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
  • Kandy
    • View Profile
Re: I saved a life tonight..
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2014, 07:40:41 PM »

I have found this one works great expecialy since it does not go into the cage.
http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/8/800443127995D.jpg
Kandy
Mom of 5 kids
1 Chinchilla (Pikachu
2 rats (Spook and Sweetpea)
2 cats (Akachan and Rayna)
1 hermit crab (Get out! Daughter named it)
and about 20 fish

gremlin101

• # of Chins: 4+
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »

I am glad you were able to save him! I have had a couple scary moments like that myself!
They are tricky little things. My baby girl was about 4months old and she was SCREAMING! I jumped outta bed, to find her little toe caught in the cage door! To this day I have no real clue how she did it. But I was up all night just trying to calm her and make her feel better and safe. The next day we went to the vet, she cut her skin and broke her toe but was in great health other than that, and the vet said I spoil my chinchillas to much. (silly vet...no such thing as over-spoiling)
The real thing with them I find, is that they just have to be watched and caged checked everyday!
I hope he is doing well and growing up good! :)
-Brianna

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2014, 07:56:48 AM »

Not meaning to hijack the thread but what kind of cage are you using?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Minccino

• # of Chins: 1, Elijah
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2014, 01:59:35 PM »

Oh wow, how scary it must have been to find him like that!! :( I'm glad he is ok...

Thank you for sharing this, it is an eye opener. We expect Chinchilla made things to be safe for them. I am going to be really careful about what I put in my future Chin's cage.

Chinnies4Life

• # of Chins: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2014, 04:51:01 AM »

Sadly I've heard a LOT of chins have tragically died with these hay balls,I used them myself until I discovered this,we are lucky nothing bad happened to ours but even so it's just not worth the risk,plus our chins wasn't eating much hay with them and as hay is their main food source (not pellets as I previously believed) they need as much as poss,our chins have a chin IBS so if they don't eat enough hay they get a mucousy jelly with bubbles in all around their poops so weve desperately tried many different kinds of hay holders but I've found ours eat more hay when I just put a loose pile of hay onto a shelf for them,they slap the hay all round the cage while sorting out the best bits to eat lol but I don't mind as we do daily cleans.
I'm shocked though that with all the reports of these hay balls causing many fatalities to chins that there isn't a warning printed on the packaging to warn pet owners that they are unsafe for chins.
Thank God that you got to your fur baby just in time hun,many haven't been so lucky
Merry Christmas everyone 🎉🎅🎉

Moxie

• Appreciation points: 2
  • *Love is a four legged word*
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2014, 07:25:40 PM »

I always am really careful what I put in Moxie's cage. One time I had this chew tunnel for her, and she got it wedged in between two levels of her cage, and I didn't know how long it had been stuck there and she had no access to her food or water. I had to completely throw it away because If I had been gone a while she could have dehydrated.
-Moxie <3

prince_medion

• Appreciation points: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2016, 05:03:26 AM »

I have decided to use a pine wood rack that hangs on the side of cage, the gaps are quite small but my only worry is that they'd jump on the top opening.

http://www.mycreaturecomforts.co.uk/product.php/6683793/
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:42:08 PM by prince_medion »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2016, 06:09:27 PM »

I tried one that looked almost identical to that one. Sadly, my chinchilla destroyed it in less than a week and reduced it to splinters.
Hay dispensing has always been a topic of interest here because it's hard to find a good design and I've yet to find one at a local store. I just put my hay on the floor. A lot of it gets wasted though.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Devynthecatwithsocks

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2019, 12:30:33 PM »

Yeah those hay balls suck. You can get a wooden hay feeder or can get the one I have. Its the only kaytee product i trust and it works perfectly. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwit89WTyIziAhUTx58KHaUAAU4QjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FKaytee-Rollin-Dispenser-Colors-Vary%2Fdp%2FB0006G7TCU&psig=AOvVaw2YUPq_3GIRBvqI3R7QP8am&ust=1557426542157291
Ive never had issues with it. It does have plastic on it but Roo has never chewed on it and she chews on everything. This one can hang, stand, and roll depending on your chinchillas intrest.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up