Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I saved a life tonight..  (Read 23797 times)

love_my_chin

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Proud Chin Mommy ~Crash b. 4/22/09~
    • View Profile
I saved a life tonight..
« on: August 16, 2009, 10:41:36 PM »

Something terrible almost happened tonight :::((( I walked into my room where I keep my chin. He is just about 4 months now and get into everything like any chin does  :D I had one of those metal spheres that hangs in the cage for the hay(https://bunnyrabbit.com/equipmentpix/wa00713-hayball_small.jpg) and I came in to find my chin dangling from it   :o I was so scared, poor thing, i had no clue how long he had been like that for. He had squeezed his body through one of the tiny openings and his hips and knees got caught. He was struggling a lot to get out and finally, after some manipulation of the wires, I was able to get him free  ::clapp::.

I was wanted to let people know, especially newbies like myself, that these guys can get into anything and you really need to be careful..even with things that you leave in their cage  :doh:

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: I saved a life tonight..
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 06:17:38 AM »

::silly::    So true!

If it is 1 square inch or more, OR if it is flexable enough a chinchilla, especially a young one, can get through (or into this case try to get through/into) it.   If stuck, many can die of internal injuries (broken ribs, legs or damage to internal organs), complications (strangling, swelling, internal bleeding, surgery), or even shock.

You got there just in time!

Extras in a cage are nice to look at, but most are not necessary and can become a death trap for your chin. 

Be sure to report this to the manufacturer of the hay ball. 

Caution to all:  Make sure you always have the wires back in the exact same place once the hayball has been filled.  They can easily be bent when filling it with hay.

::wave::  Jo Ann

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 04:52:03 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

love_my_chin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 11:48:36 AM »

Thanks Jo Ann...He seems to be ok, just laying low today. I will definately be sending the manufacturer some sort of notice about their product! :flames:

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 08:13:54 AM »

This is so uncanny! I came here to report an incident with the same product...We had the same thing in our chins cage...and yesturday morning my husband woke me to say that Fluffy had his head caught in the darn thing. I go into the room where he's kept. And he actually had it off the cage chain still attached to the darn ball. And where the larger opening was...he had stuck his head inside. And gotten stuck. His entire head was inside this darn metal ball. I was able to free him. But thinking of the alternative and what could have occured. I have removed the thing from the cage. Just isn't worth the thought of it causing harm to my babies.

That someone else had an issue with the same product is just mind boggling! This needs to be on a sticky...since it's happened to two chins in such a close amount of time. This product IS NOT SAFE! I'm off to get ahold of the manufacture myself...
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 08:31:35 AM »

Here's contact information to inform them of anyone's experiances with this that might have harmed their beloved chins. Please make this toll free call.

Ware Manufacturing:
Hay Ball  item #00713
Toll Free # 1 800 295 CAGE

I've  called...they seemed rather nice...she wasn't aware of anyone having issues with this product. But planned on checking into it further...I also told her that I went to post my incident on the forum. Where I seen another person had their chin actually stuck in the same product. And was told to contact the manufacturer. My comment was...my chin could have strangled in the darn product had he not got the thing loose from the cage itself.

The person was concerned for the chin...asked how he was...he seems fine I stated...just was scared and hungry and attempting to eat from his pellets he couldn't reach with the cage ball over his head. Luckily it's wire that gives and I was able to get it off his head without harming him. But...it's tossed under his cage at the moment. I refuse to use it again.

Considering buying a bird suet cage holder and lock it with a small dog clasp from a leash. To hold their hay...I need something in there to hold it...But nothing that will put my fellas in danger.
~Darlene

love_my_chin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 03:05:51 PM »

Thanks for the contact info! They will definately be getting a call from me. These things are not safe!!  ::tickedoff:: I ended up buying a rolling hay ball to put in there made by superpet. It has very small spaces between the wires so it is nearly impossible for my chin to get stuck in it. I reccomend either this or a hanging feeder to place the hay in.

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 12:55:57 AM »

Your welcome...

And thank you for mentioning the other options of hay holders...I'll check into this "rolling hay ball" you talk about. Thanks for mentioning it.
~Darlene

love_my_chin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 02:55:08 AM »

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 07:21:29 AM »

::silly::  The "rolling hay ball" is very pretty, but, it has some plastic in it's design.  Plastic is never good for a chinchilla.

Considering buying a bird suet cage holder and lock it with a small dog clasp from a leash. To hold their hay...I need something in there to hold it...But nothing that will put my fellas in danger.
A word of caution here ... please get the one that is not covered in a plastic/rubber coating ... the chins will often eat the coating which can cause health problems.

There are many other options.  A hay bin, "J" feeder, there are hay holders made of many different shapes and sizes.  I will post pictures of some that I have come across over the years that I, personally, think are safe. 

Many can be homemade.

Bending cage wire [1/2" x 1/2"] into an "L" shape and attaching it to the upper corner or a vertical corner of the cage and can be used as a hay holder. 
OR  Bending cage wire into a U shape can be attached to the side of the cage and used as a hay holder. 
These two are best used with cube hay ... they get a little messy with loose hay.  The least messy place to attach the "U" shaped holder is the very top of the cage ... but this can be a bit awkward to fill.

The "J" feeder is much like the regular pellet feeder, but does not have the solid side that fits next to the cage to prevent pellets from falling into the cage.

The one in the first photo is a cube shaped holder ... caution with this one is to always make sure the "lid" is securely attached each time you fill it.

The second picture/feeder is the safest I have found ... I use only this kind and the open "J" feeders.

The chin swing, the last one shown, could also be used as a hay holder.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 07:36:33 AM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 04:10:45 PM »

Thanks for the advice Jo Ann...Yeah the sales person at PetSmart mentioned the "rolling hay ball" but I didn't get it due to it having plastic. But then the head of the department stated those ones she refuse to use. Due to having a chinchilla getting inside it as well...I was like... :o You gotta be kidding me...another one that isn't chin proof!

I will look for that outter one Jo Ann...I think I might like it better...since they "can't" get inside it.
~Darlene

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 02:27:05 PM »

I put my hay into all kinds of things, like heavy ceramic glazed pots I pick up at the thrift shops I find all kinds of useful items there for very cheap. I also like using a 3-4 inch slice of heavy cardboard tubing stood on end with the hay stood up in it, or screw a piece to the under side of a shelf and let them pull it out from below. They also chew & play with the tubes, witch is great entertainment for them.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 06:06:35 AM »

::silly:: 
I also like using a 3-4 inch slice of heavy cardboard tubing stood on end with the hay stood up in it, or screw a piece to the under side of a shelf and let them pull it out from below.

::think::   As many cardboard tubes I have used for them to play on/in, sleep in, chew on, drag around the cage, play tug of war with ... I never thought of using them for hay holders.   :doh:

Great idea, Debbie!

My Little Jamie

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 04:14:07 AM »

I am absolutely desperate for a solid metal 'outside' hay rack. With three (hopefully soon to be four) chinchillas in one cage they really chuck the hay around and it either goes all over the carpet or all over their bottom level, and subsequently get peed on and yucky. I just can't find one anywhere!

Chong kindly demonstrating how much mess they all make. ::silly::

jane anderton

• Janie
  • Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 12:58:58 PM »

I have just read this post with interest, my chinnies also have a similar hay ball in their cage.  :( I have now removed it and cleaned it to give to the rabbit instead, I figured he would be far too big to get caught in it! :)
Thanks for sharing this story with us, I am glad it had a happy ending, it could have been so different. :::(((

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 04:55:40 AM »

Thanks for posting this topic.  I have marked it as sticky like you requested.  Don't forget that we have a chinchilla product reviews area just for situations like this.  You can find it here: http://www.chinchillaclub.com/reviews/ If you want to rate a product that is not already listed you will find a link at the bottom of the page to suggest a new product.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up