Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are they Pregnant?  (Read 3149 times)

Almighty Chinchillas

• Crystal Brooks
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Almighty Chinchillas
Are they Pregnant?
« on: August 13, 2009, 06:32:30 PM »

Okay here we go.....I had 2 chins come into the rescue about 2 months ago. I was told they were 2yrs. old and 1 was a boy and 1 was a girl, but had not had babies yet. They have only been caged w/each other since they were babies. After I got them home I looked, and they were both girls. I emailed the previous owner, and told her, and she laughed and said "no wonder we never had any babies". Ok now that u have the history, here's the question. After being told they were a "breeding pair" I checked their nipples as I checked their sex. They both had slightly longer nipples than I have seen on a non-pregnant chin before. I have been watching them now for 2mths. and they have remained the same (their nipples). I was under the assumption that you could only barely see them (the nipples) if they are NOT pregnant. Are some chins different? Is it a chin by chin kinda thing, or in a month or so am I gonna have babies?

I have so many people that want to give them a great home, but I am holding them untill I know for sure......Thanx a bunch
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 06:58:15 PM by cherishedchins »
When faced with a problem always remember: "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: Are they Pregnant?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 07:56:02 PM »

The best you can do is keep them 111 days from when you got them. Some chinchillas the way you know for sure they are pregnant is you find kits in the cage. I have never noticed long nipples on a non pregnant female unless they had been bred before.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 06:41:07 AM »

::silly::  Do you know if this person had/has any other chinchillas?

IF there were no other chinchillas around and she has been the only person that had them (other than you) for the last 4 months ... it is very doubtful that either would be pregnant.

Females' teats are not normally elongated unless they have had kits in the past and/or are within a month of delivery.

I would watch their weights carefully for increase.

Do not palpitate their tummies ... if they are pregnant, it could kill the kit/kits.

If you place your hand in your lap ... palm up ... set the chin on your hand and give her a treat that usually takes a little while to eat ... if she is pregnant ... you should feel a slight movement, for the first time, about two weeks prior to delivery.  Do this daily.

Within 24 to 48 hours of birth the momma chin will usually increase the water intake considerably.

How can you tell if she is in labor? 
The chin moms usually start cleaning themselves much more than normal. 
She will do what looks like stretching exercises,  labored breathing, increase in number of breaths per minute. 
When it is time for the first one to be delivered she will usually stand and stretch or lay on her side and you will be able to see the contractions as she goes through the process of delivering her kits.
If all goes well, all you need to do is sit and watch.
If she has problems, you will need to know what to do.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Almighty Chinchillas

• Crystal Brooks
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Almighty Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 01:31:16 PM »

There were not any other chins in the home they came from. I do have chins, but were never let out together or caged together. They were beside males, but they were at least 3-4 inches apart. I have looked at my 4mth. old females nipples and can barely see/find them. I would say theirs are almost 1/4 an inch long, but were the exact same length when they came in. They have never been breed....which is a good thing because they are fur chewers, and not just alittle chewing....but TONS. Bless their little hearts, they have been thru alot. They are making progress, which is good. I just hate to see them stressed any longer than they need to be. The move to here was stressful enough, and I just want them to find a great home w/tons of one-on-one that they need. I they do NOT need the stress of pregnancy. Does not quite 1/4 and inch abnormal? Thanx a ton :)
When faced with a problem always remember: "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."
Pages: [1]   Go Up