Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advise for 2 day old litter  (Read 2370 times)

masterblaster

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Need advise for 2 day old litter
« on: July 23, 2009, 11:12:17 PM »

I am wanting to know if there is anything I need to give the mama to keep her energy and milk prduction up for the babies.How much should they be growing...Thanks

StaffaClan

• View Profile
Re: Need advise for 2 day old litter
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 03:13:58 AM »

The breeder I got my chin from gave her mom's Cuddlebones for calcium. I have no clue if thats something you should do or just something she does. My breeder seems to be very knowledgeable but I could be wrong

masterblaster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 03:39:54 AM »

She seems to be doing well and feeding them, she's always on them keeping them warm, sadly though we just lost the smallest one today..she just stopped nursing it and abandoned it. The two bigger ones are very active and playful and are being well cared for. We have them in a large plastic tub with clean bedding and a small blanket at one end. I drilled plenty of holes in the lid for venting and mounted a water bottle on the side. I hope the other two survive cause She rejected her last litter entirely and they didnt make it. We have had this mating pair for 3 years and nothing, but just in the last 2 months they started breeding for some reason (we will separate them from here on). We are not breeders and dont know much at all but my girlfriend takes great care of them. Anyway thanks for the response.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 08:13:28 AM »

::silly::   Please read this article and watch the short videos, they should help you some on taking care of the kits and seeing the warning signs.     " The First Signs Of Trouble" @ http://www.geocities.com/jobernstein1949/

I find canned goat's milk is great to help the kits survive and to give mom some extra nourishment.  It is expensive, but can work wonders.  Keep what is not being used stored in the refrigerator in an airtight glass container.  It can also be frozen in a plastic container and small amounts scraped out and warmed as needed.  NEVER warm the formula in a microwave ... the microwave will kill all the good that is in the milk.

The kit's growth will depend on how much milk and the quality of the milk mom is producing.  I would add a second bottle to the cage with goat's milk in it.  They can also be fed the goat's milk with a glass dropper (seen in the videos).

Keep us posted!

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up