Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nursing momma needs to drink more!  (Read 6645 times)

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
Nursing momma needs to drink more!
« on: August 02, 2006, 10:17:25 AM »

:-\ I am concerned Mia is not drinking enough.  As a matter of fact she is not drinking much at all.  She had 2 kits on Friday July 28th.  I would think she would be drinking MORE than my other chins, but she is drinking far less.  I don't want her to get dehydrated or sick.  I have offered her 3 different bottles on her cage, 1 water, 1 cranberry juice, and 1 clear pedialyte.  This did not seem to do the trick or get her interested in drinking!  Any tips?  Think she is just so involved in nursing and taking care of babies she is not really thinking about drinking? 
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Nursing momma needs to drink more!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 06:13:29 PM »

Try her with cranberry 1/2 & 1/2 with water.
Or my favorite is a home made pediolite from "the Joy of chinchillas"
1 cup of boiled water, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of sugar, chill and place in her water bottle. Works miracles.
Debbie.nl.ca

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 09:03:07 PM »

:) Debbie,  thanks so much for your help I appreciate it so much!  I have been worried about her not drinking.  I have the Joy of Chinchillas so I'll have to look up and highlight homemade pedialyte.  Great idea.  I never thought to look in her book.
We finally called Lani Ritchey in California a few days in a row to give us some advice.  She was a wonderful help and really saved Mia.
Mia is doing much better and drinking water on her own now.  The kits are fine & growing like little weeds!!!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 09:08:09 AM »

::silly::Go Mia go![/b][/i]

Share it with us!  We all need to learn!   ::nod::

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 10:40:07 AM »

;) Hi All,   Please read my post under "Kits & Weight Gain".  It answers questions from this thread and that one all put together!                                      ::wave:: Thanks

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 06:43:12 PM »

::silly:: Hi Joyce,  Hope you don't mind ... I just copied the other post to put here encase someone could not find it.  
     Re: Kits and weight gain
« Reply #6 on: Today at 11:35:03 AM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh my gosh Jo Ann, the nut thing threw us for a loop too!  Our reaction was No, we can't give her nuts because everything we have read goes against that, the whole fatty liver thing etc..... Well Lani said it was OK to give her 1 whole almond a day OR 1/2 of a walnut a day.  And yes this is for a very limited period of time just to get Mia over the hump.  Thank goodness she loves almonds!  I give her 1/2 of a whole almond in the AM and the other 1/2 in the PM.  I have done this for 2 days now.  I'll probably give her another one today and then see how she does for the next day or so without a nut.
   Lani explained it like this.  Apparently nuts increase the metabolic water in a chins system.  Nuts are (sort of) indirectly metabolized into water.  Now this is very important,  AS LONG AS THE CHINCHILLA IS TAKING IN FIBER (TIMOTHY HAY) WHEN GIVEN A NUT it is OK.  But she must be taking in fiber.  Mia is eating timothy hay so we were OK.    Also, Lani suggested giving her soy milk or apple juice in a couple of extra water bottles on the cage or from a dropper if she would take it that way.   We gave her soy milk from a dropper and in a water bottle, she likes it OK.   We also gave her a 3rd water bottle with cranberry juice cocktail 1/2 juice to 1/2 water.  She liked that alot!

Lani's other suggestion was to give Mia certain fruits only such as apples or peaches and/or certain veggies because they all contained water!  Never tried veggies but I gave her a piece of apple and she reacted like I was trying to kill her!  She did not go for it! 
Now everyone keep in mind please the above advice was given to us to treat a SICK nursing momma chinchilla who had stopped drinking.   She was clearly suffering from postpartum depression and exhaustion and needed quick help.
Nuts, fruits/veggies, juices should not be given to healthy chins as treats.

Mia is doing much better now, she is even starting to drink water on her own.  For some reason after we gave her that first almond and some soy milk things really began to look up!  Don't know why, but it worked for us!!!  I just love Lani, she always knows what to do in any situation!  
Report to moderator    205.188.116.65 (?) 

Forgot to mention in my last post.  We have also been giving Mia some little extras just to get some nutrition & energy into her.Sorry Jo Ann, I know you asked about this and I did not mention what those extras were!

The little shredded wheat square cereal, non frosted by Post,  raisins, papaya cubes, and plain cheerios & Mrs. Pastures oat/grain cookies for animals.   No, I don't give all of these to her every day!  Just a few a day and in moderation.  She has been doing well and no problems with her poops or digestion.  Poor thing just needed to eat & drink and Lani & I decided whatever it took (safely and within reason) then that's what we had to do.

Report to moderator    64.12.116.130 (?) 

This is what Joyce posted.  ::)
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 11:02:48 AM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 08:26:27 PM »

;) PERFECT Jo Ann!!!!  That is what I should have done all along. 

::scaredspeachless:: There was noise here, music & teenage girls all over the house and in the pool.  I was only using a small part of my brain when I made that post!   ::Hairraising::  It's 10:30 PM now everyone is gone and I can now think clearly again!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 10:55:40 AM »

::silly::Hi Joyce,

With the kits gaining weight now, sounds like they have gotten over their shock and the rude awakening of being kicked out of the warmth and comfort of momma and tossed into a whole new world!   Now that they have adjusted and are learning all the curious mysteries of this new world they have entered they've begun their antics that will keep you laughing forever! :D

Since the kits are gaining, I know Mia must be much better!   ::nod::

Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 11:00:52 AM »

;) Thanks Jo Ann!  Mia is doing much better. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up