Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What type of Pumice?  (Read 1559 times)

ahappycamper

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
What type of Pumice?
« on: July 17, 2009, 01:20:23 AM »

Hi everyone, I wanted to know if the pumice for chinchillas is some sort of specially enhanced formula. Today I was in CVS and I noticed they had plain pumice for the foot. Would this be okay for my chinchilla to have as long as of course, I separate any metal or plastic that might be attached to the rock? In addition to that, I looked into another thread talking about lava rocks for chinchillas and someone stated you could buy lava rocks at a supply or hardware store, which I would love to do if it were possible. Of course it was stated that you just need to clean them. How do you suggest I can clean them for my little guy? Will vinegar or bleach work just fine?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: What type of Pumice?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 09:40:19 AM »

::silly::   Lava stones/lava rocks may be purchased in pet stores ... they usually run about $2.   :)

Please do NOT put/or clean with bleach, anything that is porous and will be going into your chin's mouth ...  ::puke:: ... you might find a dead chin later.

::phhhhhhth::   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

jeanat

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What type of Pumice?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 10:15:23 AM »

Hi,
 I am new here too and certainly no expert but I would not get the CVS stone, They use machine oil, insecticides and other chemicals in making them. The lava stone at the hardware store is made for grills and powders very easily (if your chin ingests the powder it could be very bad) also they might use insecticides on them.  If you get the pumice blocks at the pet shop you allready know they are safe and you can cut them into 1/4Th inch sizes so your chin can chew more than the corners, making them even cheaper.

Do not use Bleach it is toxic. I use white vinegar which is used to sterilize equipment for asthmatics. It works for them and it works for chins. Most important it is non toxic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up