Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: At what age?  (Read 5288 times)

Velvet

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Sir Felix the Fuzzball - Beloved by all!!!
    • View Profile
At what age?
« on: June 13, 2009, 04:18:49 AM »

At what age can you see if a kit is show quality?  I have a little 3month old boy and I know he has good parents...But I have no idea about him..we don't have chin shows here to my knowledge... :)
~Meg~<br /><br />1 x Chinnie (Felix), 1.5 x Horses (Velvet and Foal to be), 2x Cats (Marmite and Scrappy)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: At what age?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 05:20:42 AM »

::silly::  The potential in some are obvious as early as 6 weeks old ... the older they get ... the better you know one way or the other. 

If you look at it from above, it should appear similar to a brick not a triangle shape ... the shoulders and hips should be about the same width. 

The fur should be thick and stand up with no swirl patters.  You should be able to blow into the fur (one quick short puff) and it should close back up into place almost immediately.  When you blow into the fur, you should not be able to see the actual skin.  The guard hairs should stand up straight and not lay to one side.

A chinchilla reaches it's first prime (in reference to it's fur being at it's best) starting at 6 months and reaching it's peak at 10 months, then repeats this cycle every 8 months.

Proper grooming can help a chin with slight fur problems, but improper grooming can hurt the appearance of a perfect chin.   :)  So grooming counts, too.   :)

I believe Jamie did an article on that in the Chinchilla Club Magazine that is on line and can also be purchased in paper back.  It can tell you much better than I can.   :::grins::

::wave::  Jo Ann

PS Chinchillas having a color that should have a white belly, the belly should be pure white.  White fur should have no yellowing to it.   There should not be a red cast to any of the fur, regardless of the color.  If it is a wrap (one having the same color all over) the coloring should remain the same shade /blend all over (such an  an ebony, a tan or a violet wrap).

« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 05:41:19 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Velvet

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Sir Felix the Fuzzball - Beloved by all!!!
    • View Profile
Re: At what age?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »

Thank you Jo-ann!!!  You are most kind and helpful!  Guess we will wait and see then!!  Felix has very nice fur, I think.  Its even and smooth all over his body.  And I think he has good conformation...but will wait a few months and then have a serious look at him again! lol

His mom was sold as a "Premium production quality female" and his dad as a "Show quality" male...
~Meg~<br /><br />1 x Chinnie (Felix), 1.5 x Horses (Velvet and Foal to be), 2x Cats (Marmite and Scrappy)
Pages: [1]   Go Up