Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with chin info  (Read 3981 times)

Petco Chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
Help with chin info
« on: May 26, 2009, 08:24:44 AM »

What is the minimum sized cage you would recommend? ::shrug:: Where do you recommend buying the accessories? ::think:: I can get my chin when I have enough money. I have enough money for the cage and the chin, but not the accessories. :noway:  I need help finding fairly low-priced accessories(bedding, dust, dust house, toys, hay, food pellets, etc.)  that are still real good to use.                                Jessica L.
God Bless Chinchillas!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Help with chin info
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 08:16:16 AM »

::silly::   You can purchase many at pet stores, but you can usually make most, which cuts down on the cost and lets you keep that money you saved by making it.  The money you saved by making the toys, huts, and chew sticks, you can put into your chinchilla bank for vet emergencies.   :::grins::

::think::  Empty paper towel or toilet tissue rolls are great fun for a chinchilla ... they can drag them all over the cage (because they weigh very little) and even play tug of war with them if you have a second chinchilla.  Empty paper egg boxes are also good for a chin to play with.

::think::   You can make the huts and leaping ledges with pine boards, wood screws and fender washers.  With any left over wood, chew blocks can be made.  An electric saw is best, if you know someone that has one and would cut the wood for you ... or you could cut it yourself with a hacksaw/small hand saw.

You will have to purchase a water bottle ... it is best if it is a glass water bottle  ::nod::  ... you may want to call around to see which pet store has them.

The food dish can be ceramic with a flat base and straight sides (in the cat/dog/small animal section of the pet store) or one that is metal and sets in a holder you attach to the cage (bird section of the pet store).  A dust bath container can easily be made using a glass or metal baking dish that is just big enough for him and will fit in through the door.

Don't waste your money on expensive stuff, your chinchilla will probably be happy with anything you give it.   ;)

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 08:19:10 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Petco Chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
Re: Help with chin info
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 08:32:10 AM »

http://martinscages.com/products/cages/chinchilla/     is the place I got the cage. The Chinchilla Skyscraper is the one I want with the slide out pan. ::nod::  I am getting the cage accessories from Petco. And last, but not least, http://razchinchilla.com/     
  I ordered the chin and cage last night. I didn`t really order the chin Cause it doesn`t ship.  Once my dad fills out all the info then we have a 3 week grace period to get it!! I love chins!! ;) :) :::grins:: 

Jessica L. rofl
God Bless Chinchillas!
Pages: [1]   Go Up