Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I have 5 problems. :|  (Read 2869 times)

magicTEAR4eva

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
I have 5 problems. :|
« on: May 24, 2009, 08:34:55 AM »

1. My chinchilla is 5 years old and lives all alone. He doesn't have chinchilla friends. :::((( He is friendly and cute but is there an option?
2. I want a second chinchilla but when my sister was born than my chinchilla went crazy and once bite her finger. What if they wont get along?
3. I want to buy a wheel for him but he is 5 years old, he doesn't know what it is? will he find out?
4. I want to go study in foreign countries but how do I get my chinchilla on the plane? Is it legal? Can I travel with him? Is it even possible?
5. My chinchilla must be very bored in cage even tho I get him out twice a day. He keeps making holes in cages. I am not a millionaire so how do I make it stop?I put sticks and wooden toys but it doesn't help.

::shrug::

Laura

Petco Chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
Re: I have 5 problems. :|
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 09:03:21 AM »

1. Be very careful if you let your chin around others. All chins have different personalities.  :::grins::

2. If you want another chinchilla you most likely should put him in a different cage.  If your chinchilla has lived alone for 5 years,  then it will not be very happy to find another chin in its cage so randomely. :noway:

3. If you put a wheel in his cage he will probably go over to see what it is. They are very curious little animals. ::nod:: They are smart too so if you put it in its cage it will probably figure it out.

4.Chinchillas don`t handle stress well. A change in a routine can be stressful.   ::puke:: On a plane you  cannot let it out twice a day. The plane ride can be really long. Also the heat or coolness of the a/c on the plane could kill them. I have never heard of it  being illegal, but it is not a smart thing to do. :noway:

5. Chinchillas don`t need to have plastic  cages. They can chew on it and escape. Not to mention they can die b/c of eating it. I would suggest getting a new cage.

I hope these answers help you out. If you need anything just contact Jo Ann. She`s the one with the smarts.

Jessica L.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 09:05:32 AM by Petco Chinchillas »
God Bless Chinchillas!

magicTEAR4eva

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 09:33:53 AM »

I don't have a plastic cage. I have a classic, normal chinchilla cage. Bottom of the cage is plastic. In my country I haven't seen a cage with a metal bottom or anything else different. But thx for answering questions. About the plane thing. it is very sad. I will soon fly to foreign countries and my mom or anybody elso won't want to take care of him, I really need to find out a way to take him with me.  :chin:

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »

1. My chinchilla is 5 years old and lives all alone. He doesn't have chinchilla friends. :::((( He is friendly and cute but is there an option?
Getting him a friend is an option, but may not work. He may love another chinchilla or he may hate it there is no way to be sure other than to try it.
2. I want a second chinchilla but when my sister was born than my chinchilla went crazy and once bite her finger. What if they wont get along?
They may get along or may not get along if you have more than one it is best to be prepared for them to not get along
3. I want to buy a wheel for him but he is 5 years old, he doesn't know what it is? will he find out?
He will, figure out a wheel.
4. I want to go study in foreign countries but how do I get my chinchilla on the plane? Is it legal? Can I travel with him? Is it even possible?
This will be different based on different countries and different air lines.
5. My chinchilla must be very bored in cage even tho I get him out twice a day. He keeps making holes in cages. I am not a millionaire so how do I make it stop?I put sticks and wooden toys but it doesn't help.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

magicTEAR4eva

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 03:46:54 AM »

:( Oh my...

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 07:50:35 AM »

There's always an option.   :)  You can get him a chinchilla buddy, but ... keep in mind ... he has been the center of attention and may not appreciate the idea of sharing with this new chin.   On the other hand ... he might love to have someone to cuddle and play with.  But ... be prepared for the worst ... they may not like each other at all and you would have to have a complete setup for the second chinchilla also.

There could have been several reasons your chin bit the finger of your little sister ... If it had the smell of milk on it's hand/finger, the chin probably thought her finger was a treat ...  or she could have grabbed a handful of your chins fur or tail ... or the baby could have cried or made a noise that would frighten the chinchilla.  As much as I love my chins, I would not put them within nipping range of a child, especially an infant or toddler ... human babies are to unpredictable.  Chinchillas rarely bite without reason and a baby does not know what to expect ... they just want to feel/hug anything that is soft and makes baby sounds.

It usually does not take long for them to figure it out.

Most countries have a quarantine period for animals ... especially those that do not require shots.  Some countries have quarantine periods as long as 6 months.  Some countries (such as Australia) do not allow chinchillas into the country.

Could you post a picture of the cage, please?

::shrug::

Laura

::silly::  I've answered all the questions ... at the end of each question. 

Do you have someone that can keep him for you while you are out of the country?

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 07:56:51 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

magicTEAR4eva

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 09:37:39 AM »

There could have been several reasons your chin bit the finger of your little sister ... If it had the smell of milk on it's hand/finger, the chin probably thought her finger was a treat ...  or she could have grabbed a handful of your chins fur or tail ... or the baby could have cried or made a noise that would frighten the chinchilla.  As much as I love my chins, I would not put them within nipping range of a child, especially an infant or toddler ... human babies are to unpredictable.  Chinchillas rarely bite without reason and a baby does not know what to expect ... they just want to feel/hug anything that is soft and makes baby sounds.

My room's door was open. My sister got in and chinchilla was in the cage. She pointed fingers to him. When he see her he makes angry noises. I think it is "animal group instinct". When a newbie comes to the group then you have to frighten her/him and be bad. Now, he is just .... ignoring .. her, he doesn't bite or acts angry anymore.  :)

Could you post a picture of the cage, please?

Ok. I will.... How do I do that? (I have apple MacBook if it is a problem...) When I try then shows up those blue squares....  :-\

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 07:58:40 AM »

::silly::   Glad to hear he has not bitten her anymore.   ::nod::   She was strange/some one new to him and it frightened him.

More than likely, the size of the picture is to large ... the maximum attachment size  allowed is 128 KB   Normally, your photo program will be able to help you size it down.  If not, or if you do not know how to, just e-mail me (joannfryeb2@cox.net) your picture and I will downsize it for you.   :)

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up