Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chins Like to be Cuddled?  (Read 6251 times)

Petco Chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
Chins Like to be Cuddled?
« on: May 23, 2009, 05:31:02 PM »

I read on a site that some chinchillas don`t like to be cuddled. :noway: I was just wondering if it was true. Also a site said they liked to be rubbed under their chin, do they? ::shrug::   Just like my dad to find something wrong with whatever I want! :doh:

Jessica L.
God Bless Chinchillas!

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
Re: Chins Like to be Cuddled?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 05:44:48 PM »

I've had two a long while ago...and two currently. None ever really loved cuddled...One of the two we had in the past did allow you to pet it and hold it. While the other wanted only to investigate and be left alone. The two we currently have...the one will climb into our hands...and not attempt to rush off when we bring it to our bodies. But...would I call him a cuddler...No...I wouldn't. For he's more content jumping about. But he does come for affection on his terms.

A chinchilla you must allow to make the moves...you can't chase them around the cage or a room to catch them. It's not fun for you or the chin. But you must allow time to work with it...and eventually it will climb onto your hand...or up your arm. I use dust baths to lure the chins into their cage after playtime. I don't catch them the first few times they use it either...for I don't wish for them to think it's end of playtime and never take a bath...I'll allow them to jump in a few times...never the same about of times...before I call playtime over. Then I'll cover the hole of the dust house with my hand and place them in their cage. They've come to know this means playtime is over...and have started bitting my hand. I'm going to get something to cover the hole of the dust house next time. To avoid this behavior they are attempting. And reward them with a special treat once back in their cage. I have started saying..."Go home" when I place them in their cage. Due to I think it may have been Jo Ann  [Not sure though] who had a video of her telling her chins to go home. And they would hop into their cages. So I'm training them to do that. But cuddlers um-mm not really...in my experience. But to have them trust you enough to investigate and hop on you...is worth having them as a pet. They are great and really smart in my opinion. But if your expecting a cuddler...Um-mm...I'd have to say no...not with a chin.

My one does like rubbed...the other one NOT! It makes him scurry to the back of the cage. Just doesn't appreciate it. So...we gave up on that with him...the other one...loves petted. You just never know really which personality you'll end up with though...

~Darlene

Petco Chinchillas

• My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 07:21:59 PM »

Thank you so much for the info ;)  I hope to get one soon! ::nod:: I didn`t really expect for them to like to be cuddled, but I heard of some chins that absolutely loved to be held and would beg to be held.
                 Jessica L.
God Bless Chinchillas!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 07:06:06 AM »

Then I'll cover the hole of the dust house with my hand and place them in their cage. They've come to know this means playtime is over...and have started bitting my hand. I'm going to get something to cover the hole of the dust house next time. To avoid this behavior they are attempting. And reward them with a special treat once back in their cage. I have started saying..."Go home" when I place them in their cage. Due to I think it may have been Jo Ann  [Not sure though] who had a video of her telling her chins to go home. And they would hop into their cages. So I'm training them to do that. But cuddliers um-mm not really...in my experience. But to have them trust you enough to investigate and hop on you...is worth having them as a pet. They are great and really smart in my opinion. But if your expecting a cuddlier...Um-mm...I'd have to say no...not with a chin.

My one does like rubbed...the other one NOT! It makes him scurry to the back of the cage. Just doesn't appreciate it. So...we gave up on that with him...the other one...loves petted. You just never know really which personality you'll end up with though...

That wasn't me (as much as I would love to think my chins would to do that for me) it was debbie.nl.ca.  http://newfoundlandchinchillas.piczo.com/thingschinscanbetrainedtodo.?cr=7&linkvar=000044

Cuddling is not something many chinchillas like, one reason being they can get over heated from your body heat.  Another reason is that they could have been mistreated by humans before OR  it could just be something they do or do not like ... each chinchilla is different and has a different personality.   ::nod::   I've only found a hand full of true cuddliers.

The ones that do like to cuddle can be pretty good and demanding it, others just want to cuddle and take a nap with you holding them ... for security ... then others just prefer their freedom to run and play ... they can put on a pretty good show and get you laughing so hard your side will hurt ... so there's pros and cons ...  to the cuddlier and the explorer.   ::)

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 07:11:00 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Petco Chinchillas

• My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:02:07 AM »

Thank you all so much! ;) It is not just be able to cuddled, but I also wanted to talk to them about my troubles. Will they listen? ::shrug:: I know there are different chins with different personalities. Just like humans, nobody is the same. :)
                 Jessica L.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:03:55 AM by Petco Chinchillas »
God Bless Chinchillas!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 08:52:54 AM »

::silly::
... but I also wanted to talk to them about my troubles. Will they listen?  I know there are different chins with different personalities. Just like humans, nobody is the same.

Usually, yes, if you keep your tone of voice a pleasant one.

I have one that seems be able to carry on a great 'conversation' with me ... She will "talk" to me, when I start talking, she sets patiently and listens without interrupting ... when I stop, she will "talk" to me again.  This would normally go on for 2 to 20 minutes ... depending on if she was talking to me or fussing at me.   :D   The pleasant little soft sounds can be so soothing and the expression on their faces lets you know they care.  Now, I would not want you to think this is something she will do immediately, sometimes, it just takes patients.   One thing that will help, is that every time you hear her say/talk, go in, sit down and talk to her ... pausing to give her a chance to talk back to you.

Chinchillas love to be the center of attention ... by talking to her and listening to her ... this is an incentive for her to get your undivided attention.  But, don't ignore her, she might stop talking to you ... they can be very stubborn at times.   ::)

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Petco Chinchillas

• My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 09:11:30 AM »

I know patience is they key. ::nod:: Although i have to have patience to get my chinchilla. Oh they just sound so cute!!!!!! ;) :::grins:: :)   Jessica L.
God Bless Chinchillas!

Cuddles

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 08:27:34 PM »

I have two chins...one of which is more like a ninja and the other is a cuddler...I got the best of both worlds!  ;)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 09:57:37 AM »

Yes it's me who got them going back in their cages by themselves on the video. It didn't happen over night, and they are capable of learning from each other.I don't train them anymore new ones just learn from the rest.
It all started with a timer so I gave them all the same time out for their runs. With in months as the timer would go off they started going back into their cages, They new it was treat time and their cage was ready. I added the word up as the timer went off and after a while they go back with the command or the timer.
Mind you some take a little more coaxing, and think it wasn't long enough out.
I do and have had several cuddlers over the years, and find putting them inside a jacket or fleece helps them feel secure.
I let them run out the sleeves and poke their heads out at my hand, they run back and out the neck.Some will curl up and cuddle in under my neck. It's faster with kits, as they don't know any better, but even a few rescues have enjoyed it.
It does take time and patients. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 10:33:40 AM »

i also have two chins and their personalities are the complete opposite its crazy! my one older boy loves attention more than anything and will run onto anyones lap who's sitting. he will let pretty much anyone pick him up but i wouldnt call him a cuddler. he just doesnt mind being held but he lovessssss being pet whether its under his chin, behind his ears, on his tummy, he loves it all! hes the sweetest thing. my other baby boy is more of a wanderer. he loves finding new places to hide and he will only really come to his mommy (me) but hes shy when other people are around. he will only let me or daddy pet him but he is so much fun and the cutest chin ever! (besides my other boy of course  ::nod::) however, both of them were not like this at the start. you have to gain their trust and let them know that humans are their friends! give them attention and show them that youre their family now  :::grins::
Pages: [1]   Go Up