Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla behavior  (Read 11481 times)

Petco Chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
Chinchilla behavior
« on: May 21, 2009, 04:00:38 PM »

Do chinchillas get along with other pets?  ::shrug::I have quite a few and I need some info before I make my decision. All posts are good. There are no wrong answers! :) Thanks to all those who post on here! ::clapp::
God Bless Chinchillas!

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: Chinchilla behavior
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 05:21:57 PM »

It is best to not have them interact with other animals. like I have a dog who comes in the chinchilla room with me but not when there are chinchillas loose in there. And we have cats also allowed in the room as long as all the chinchillas are in their cages
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Petco Chinchillas

• My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 05:30:30 PM »

I have 3 dogs and 2 cats. I also have a hamster who stays in my room. Do you think that could be a problem? ::shrug::
Jessica L.
God Bless Chinchillas!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 10:22:09 PM »

::silly::  Each pet has a different personality and may react differently.   I have two Great Danes ... the older one, Lady, loves the chins and they love her ... I trust her completely with the chinchillas.  Check out this chinchilla cartoon story about her and one of our kits ... it's three pages, don't stop at the first page.   :::grins::  http://www.luvnchins.com/AChinsPointOfView.html

Now, on the other hand, our second Great Dane, Raven, is not allowed to be around the chins when they are out of the cage ... she likes to play to rough and has this "Chinchilla Appetizer" look on her face when she looks at them.  We do not trust her around the chins at all.     :-\

::shrug::  Can't say one way or the other ... but, do be cautious and always make sure your chinchilla (when you get one) is inside it's cage when the other animals are around.   ::nod::

::wave::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Petco Chinchillas

• My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 09:04:03 AM »

I will be very careful! :::grins::
      Jessica L. ::nod::
God Bless Chinchillas!

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 10:39:52 AM »

i have a dog and cat along with my two chins. my dog is a big baby and hes actually afraid of my boys! its the funniest thing. but sometimes if their out in the same room Liv (my older one) will try to have my dog chase him and my dog just gets scared and sits on my lap haha. my little boy will often go up to my dog and try to smell him and be sweet to him. he wants nothing to do with it but my chins are nothing but nice to him! however, my cat i will never let near my chins because the one time i did she tried to swat at my older one. oh well she lost her chance at great creatures!

Petco Chinchillas

• My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 09:03:31 PM »

Great Creatures, indeed!!   ;)   
God Bless Chinchillas!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 09:12:12 AM »

My cat has made friends with some of my chins, albeit through the cage bars. There are some chins who hate him and will spray him if he goes near the cage, so he stays away from those. Cats don't like getting sprayed at all  :D
I can trust him when they are out as well, they all know each other and know I'm there to protect them.
But no I wouldn't leave the cat with them 24/7. Just wouldn't trust the instincts.
Debbie.nl.ca

eternalduck

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Ducking world
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 03:52:07 AM »

here's my cat watching))

it tries to grab the chin but fails every time!

rainbowrotties

• Jacqie
  • Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 08:21:09 PM »

I think that if they are introduced at as early as possible then it can work out, but you most likely have to be there at all times when they are together!!
I have 3 dogs and 2 cats. My animals are all allowed into the room as long as the chins are in their cages  :) Thats the only time the dogs are allowed around them though cause they would most likely eat them ::scaredspeachless::. The cats are allowed to be around when they are out also, but only if I'm around  ::silly:: My younger one is actually afraid of them: he stares at them like he would rather eat them but as soon as one moves he panics  :o and gets in the window sill and won't come down until they are all in thier cages  ::hah:: My older cat I actually trust her with them 100% :::grins::. One day someone left a cage door unlatched by accident :flames: not mentioning anyone in particular(...cough....fiance...cough) and she chased them under my bed then jumped on me meowing, then under the bed and back and forth she did this until i got up to see what was going on and found the two chins under my bed!!!! She is 8 years old and was around while I lived at my parents with our first chin and my younger bro (8 years old at the time) who constantly left that cage open too and she did that even when she was a kitten!  I love her so much (My "Princess" Honey Cat) ::angel2::
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 07:33:02 AM by jacd061506 »
2 cats: Honey Cat, Buster
3 dogs: Destiny, Harley, Riley
9 Chins: Mojo, Foxy Cleopatra, Sherman,Ms. Perdy, Tarzan, Jane,AND a 75gallon fish tank with 20+ fishies!!!!

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 08:56:58 AM »

I would be VERY cautious..better to be safe than sorry. I have a cat that is almost 14 years old..she is a hunter/killer by nature and I cannot tell you how many bodies she brings home a week to display..chipmunks, mole mice etc..Wouldn't trust her for a moment!!! Love her but she is no way allowed near my chins. My boyfriend has a Treen Walker Hound...again natural hunter...and NO WAY is she allowed near them either.  Every animal is different...The only way at this point that I would attempt this was if I had two babies..raised together..for example: a kitten and a Kit...otherwise..our older animals are intolerant to each other let alone my chins!  ::silly:: rofl...I would not take the chance ::scaredspeachless::

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 11:12:10 AM »

in my chin room i also have a cage with two ferrets, when the ferrets are out for playtime, the door to the room is closed.. no ifs ands or butts...

i have 2 dogs that are not allowed in that room, i have a gate up and cairo respects it, [bears needs to learn to respect it, he's just a pup]

i have two cats, cali respects the gate, kitten doesn't ugh.. anyways, be careful not to let your cat scratch your chin, that can be harmful.

also, make sure you have a door that can not open unless you open it. story time:  once upon a time.. jean had just one chinchilla... she put him back in the cage for the night and checked the door and it was locked shut [the way cage doors clip shut, not literally a lock].  in the morning jean gets up for work and when she goes in the other room to get cairo to put out, she sees chinny fur all over the floor, and i mean ALL OVER THE FLOOR . SHOULD I SAY FLIP OUT TIME. i thought he was dead.. i was so upset.  i thought i left the door open or something.. anyways, i put cairo in the yard, i go in the chin room [i will never forget this] and chin chin comes hoppin in.. almost like nothing happened.. of course i was happy as he## to see him.. his back was scatched up, i knew what happened, cairo was trying to play, and pawed him, chinchin released a ton of fur for protection [which at the time i didn't know they did] and his back got a bit scratched, but luckily not bad.   anyways, after all is said and done, i do think it's funny that once cairo went out in the yard, chin chin was like.. it's safe i can come out from hiding now.. and hops out of his hiding place. too funny..

anyways, i found out, i didn't leave the door open, the little stinker got it open himself and got out...  so be very careful especially with other pets than can harm him...
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Courtney

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 07:31:42 AM »

I have two jack russell's and two parrots. The parrots get along with them but I don't let them near each other just in case. But they don't bother with the chins. I do not trust my dogs with my chins, if my chins are out my dogs are not in the same room. Same goes with the birds, if the birds are out the dogs are not in the room. I just don't trust it.

Just a cute pic.

Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up