Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ? for you JoAnn...Stainless Steel trays...  (Read 1631 times)

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
? for you JoAnn...Stainless Steel trays...
« on: April 20, 2009, 07:22:08 PM »

I seen an older post where you mentioned Stainless Steel trays...I just purchased a tray from Bass Equipment...but was wondering more about the stainless steel. I mean...we still need to purchase another tray. Depending on if the new guy will get along with Nibbles or not. If he does...we'll open the entire cage to the both...if they don't get along...then we'll keep the cage as two cages. But either way...we'll be purchasing another cage...and I was curious if I might be able to get a stainless steel one verses the one I got made from Bass Equipment.
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: ? for you JoAnn...Stainless Steel trays...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 08:17:40 AM »

::silly::  Stainless steel is much more expensive on the front end, but, not in the long run.   It's a good investment to my way of thinking.

Our first trays were galvanized steel ... over a short period of time, they tend to rust and have to be painted over and over or replaced.

Then we came up with the brilliant idea of aluminum ... because aluminum does not rust ... BUT ... aluminum is a soft metal and can be chewed and consumed by a chinchilla!   :doh:  That was almost a big problem and a big waste of money ... we did salvage them by having the maker attach a metal rim made of galvanized steel over all the exposed edges.

Next, we went to stainless steel ... it is the easiest to clean, does not rust, lasts the longest and looks the best.  (Do not clean with bleach!)

You might want to check the area you live in for a business that makes custom items out of metal and talk to them about making one out of stainless steel.  I would ask them to roll the exposed edges as an added precaution and to strengthen the pan.  The measurements need to be exact, so you might want to take the cage with you.

::wave::  Jo Ann

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 10:30:47 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
Re: ? for you JoAnn...Stainless Steel trays...
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 08:24:06 AM »

I see...Well Bass Equipment has the exact measurements...I could print that off and pass it along...Now to find such a shop...thanks

I would think it would be a stonger tray as well...The life span on a chin...it would be worth it in my opinion... ::nod::
~Darlene
Pages: [1]   Go Up