Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: College  (Read 3844 times)

bpoore89

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
College
« on: January 13, 2009, 11:49:53 PM »

Im currently a Sophmore im college and live in a dorm. My room is very quite and I do not like to have people over, Id rather go out  ::). I really want to get a chin but I have to come home on weekends for work. Its a 45 min drive and I dont know if a chin would be happy having to be transported every weekend. Any opinions?

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
Re: College
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 05:16:12 PM »

I'm still a new chin owner,  i believe that from what i'v heard that chins don't like change. I don't think they would like to be transported back and forth. I lived in the dorm for my first quarter in college. I personally don't miss it.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 07:08:04 PM »

It would probably be best if you waited until you weren't traveling. I was lucky I had mine through college but I commuted.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 08:31:15 AM »

::silly::  That's a tough one to answer.  Allot would depend on the chinchilla, it's age and IF it is willing or even able to get use to this particular 'routine'.

Chinchillas love a regular routine.  IF the chin is young and this would be a regular routine, it might be able to adapt.

Normally, I do not suggest such a thing, but, a 45 minute drive is really not to bad ... if it is a consistant routine and the chin does not get car sick.   We have had chins that will ride on my husband's  shoulder for over 100 miles and seem to love it, while others just want to hide in a quiet dark place and not be bothered.

At the same time, you also have to consider what would happen to the chin should your car break down.  Do you have a way to keep it warm in the winter (a blanket and 'canned heat') and cool in the summer (a cooler filled with ice) for however long it might take ... should your car break down?  There's lots of things to have to consider.

A setup at the dorm and a setup at home ... as close to the same as possible ... this includes temperature, number of people, food and routine.

Now, for the real bummer ... What if you get a chin and it can not adapt to the routine?  What do you do then?  I feel chinchillas should never have to have more than 3 homes in their life time ... (1) the breeder ... (2) the first "owner" ... (3) the second "owner" ... I don't even like the idea of a 2nd owner ... I prefer a chin go back to the original breeder to become a permanent resident there.  Chinchillas are not just "pets" ... with their long life expetancy they must be considered 'part of the family'.  (I know one girl that kicked her boyfriend out to be able to keep her chin.  rofl  )

Just some things to consider.   :)

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:36:35 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chinchika

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:21:24 PM »

I saw a cutest little chinchilla and I am considering to adopt him. But I've got one problem. I study away from home and I don't know what to do with him during the weekend when I'm not there because I can't carry him every time I go! If I clean his cage, dust bath him and give him extra food and water, before I go, will he be OK all by himself for 2-3 days?

Thanks

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 12:32:38 PM »

I would say no. Anything could happen to him while you're away. What if he fell and broke his leg? He could also get depressed if you weren't there and might stop eating. And what if he did run out of food or hay?

chinchika

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 03:45:30 PM »

But, but..?? What should I do then :(? I can't carry him every time when I go home?!

Harleychin

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 06:30:52 PM »

In 2 to 3 days so many things could go wrong.Water bottles malfunction,storms knock out power,dumped food bowls,injuries,it's endless.
Sandy

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 03:53:31 PM »

I agree with them. Chins aren't the kind of animal you leave for 2- 3 days. To many things can go wrong. I worry about leaving mine when I spend the night at my b/f's. I always come home right away the next day to check on them. My b'f is thinking of building a cage for them to keep at his place. You can always have one cage at ur dorm and one when you go home.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 10:55:32 AM »

Could you have someone drop in to check on them at least one of the days.
If a good plan is in place it could work, two water bottles, extra feed and stuff.
If it's part of the routine they can cope quite well to just about anything I find.
Debbie.nl.ca

chinchika

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 12:14:23 PM »

Yeah, my best friend could check on him unless she goes home the same weekend as me. But in that case I could come back earlier..

Pankakes

• View Profile
    • Rainbow Sprinkles
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 09:59:02 AM »

Well Id have to agree with the post about wether or not the chinchilla minds.
My parents are devorced so I usually have to take my chin with me from house to house, and my chinchilla doesnt mind being moved around. (it might be becuase one of the cages he has is more fun for him then the other...) 
any way, the frirst time I moved him he got really nevious in the car, but after that he just acts normal (but he doesnt get moved every week and its only a 10 minuuet car ride)
Pages: [1]   Go Up