Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Chin Owner Troubles  (Read 5537 times)

Rosiems12

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New Chin Owner Troubles
« on: February 28, 2009, 10:22:54 PM »

I have had my chin Henry for a few weeks now and I absolutely adore him! We seem to be getting along great, in that he lets me pick him up and take him in and out of his cage. We spend every night together in my bathroom for some play time and he just LOVES to go crazy in there! I usually sit on the edge of my tub and he will jump up on the tub then onto me. Usually, he does this to get some good scratches from me and to cuddle a bit (he is a big cuddler!) then he'll dart off onto the toilet seat or off to another corner.

Three times now, when he has jumped up onto me, he pees. I am not constricting his movement at all and he is free to get down when he wants, so I know it is not an accident...haha....when he does pee, it is in the exact same spot each time as well! So, I know this has something to do with association...he pees there because he has peed there in the past! But, I wonder if maybe he just doesn't realize that he is sitting on me and peeing (his spot is on my left leg, and he'll scoot all the way to the edge so that his toosh is hanging off my leg...like he really is aiming for the floor, but it just gets on me instead). Any suggestions for how to keep him from peeing on me? I want him to be able to climb on me cus I do enjoy our cuddle sessions, but everytime he jumps up on me, I am afraid now that he will pee!

HELP!

romeroom

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: New Chin Owner Troubles
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 03:32:04 PM »

I'm new to Chinchilla care.  Do they make tiny Chinchilla diapers?

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 03:32:35 PM »

Do they make tiny Chinchilla diapers?
     :D

That's only the second time I've heard of a chin doing that.
I sold one to a Lady that had a male and bred them just once. Every night when they got out for their run the mom would run right onto her lap and pee. She did this for months and just wouldn't stop. The owner started putting her back in her cage when ever she did it and with in a week or so she stopped.
She wanted out more than she wanted to pee on her owner.
I did recommend to her to make sure she was a wake for a while when she let her out. If she was sleeping when the cage door was opened she may just not have had time to go pee first.
It does sound like yours is trying to pee over the side of you, and I have several that will do that over the edge of a shelf rather than going all the way down to the floor to pee.
As a rule though most will never pee outside the pee pan.

Make sure he's is fully awake and has time to go before you take him out.

Try putting a piece of news print or some kind of small pee pan on the floor for him to use.
I had one of my old guys pee in my dust pan, he couldn't get back in his cage while I was cleaning it.

When you see him taking that position put him on the news print or pee pan.
They can learn.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 09:59:10 AM »

:2funny:   
I'm new to Chinchilla care.  Do they make tiny Chinchilla diapers?
   :2funny:

::silly::  We are laughing with you, not at you.   ::silly::

No, they don't make chinnie diapers ... good thing, too, or you would have to wash their little furry bottoms constantly.

Most chinchillas will not pee on you, but there are a few that will.   Like Debbie, I think that it sounds like it's not trying, it's just missing it's target.

The "time out" for peeing on you is a good one, chinchillas are very intelligent and learn quickly what they have to do (or in this case, not do) to get what they want or enjoy the most.

Now, if she sprays you ... that is a different whole different story.  When one purposely sprays you (as in stands there and takes aim), you have done something that upsets and/or frightens them ... figure out what it is and don't do it again ... if you want to stay dry.   :D

I have one chin, Pee-tunia, that is jealous of me ... any time she sees my husband put his arms around me or kiss me ... she will spray me every time I pass the cage for about 3 days.  Hence the name Pee-tunia instead of Petunia.   ;D

We have another female, Precious, that will 'rain on' my husband's head, if he sits down at the computer without saying hello to her first.  The computer is about 6 feet away, and he is in a high back chair with his back to her, but she has perfect aim ... gets him right on top of the head every time!   (Be glad it's your knee and not your head.   rofl  )

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 10:04:54 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up