Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Is a cage 30 x 24 x 15 too small for 2 chins?

Yes (get a larger cage)
- 0 (0%)
No. (Thats OK, but larger is better)
- 3 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Chins in a 30 x 24 x 15  (Read 1326 times)

gametime21

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
2 Chins in a 30 x 24 x 15
« on: February 26, 2009, 02:52:30 AM »

I have Kumo who is a male black velvet , 4 almost 5 months old.  I've had him for over a month now and I am really considering getting him a friend (another male).  I'm a grad student who is studying physical therapy and don't have as much time to spend with him as I would like 3-4 times a week I let him out of his cage.  I know and have read that they may not get along, but am looking to get a kit from a local breeder.  So my question is should I "trade" in my cage for a much larger one, or should i wait to see if they get along first?  How should I go about doing this?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: 2 Chins in a 30 x 24 x 15
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:01:23 AM »

::silly::  That sounds like an odd size.  Is is 30" tall, 24" long/wide and 15" deep?    How many floors does it have?   Ledges? 

A kit is usually accepted better than an adult with another adult, but this is not always true ... should the older one decide it does not like the new kit ... you will probably find it dead in the cage when you come home one day.   

It is best to get the two at the same time, but you have one already, so that is not an option, now.

I would strongly suggest getting a second cage, possibly the same size and style.  Should they decide they want to get along and be with each other, it would not be that hard to convert the two into one cage.   ::nod::

::think::  Should you decide to get a large cage instead, I would keep the first cage, just in case you need it and I would only allow them to be together when you are with them and awake, just to be safe for a while.

Should you get a large cage and not have room for both, I would make sure the large cage has a solid divider that can be used to keep them separated, if needed.  The cage wire alone can not protect one from the other completely.  They have been known to bite noses, toes, tails and ears through the wire.  The separation would have to be at least 3" apart OR separated by a solid wall they can not chew through, should they not get along with each other.

Hope this helps!

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up