Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello..New here  (Read 8846 times)

coloblondy

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Hello..New here
« on: July 26, 2006, 08:06:15 AM »

Hi everyone,
I wanted to pop in and say hello. I am the Chin momma of Star,  ::silly:: a  female standard gray DOB 12/25/03. I just love her sweet little personality. I also have 2 kids ages 10 and 13 who adore our chin and are amazing with her. My 2 other furbabies, Zach the beagle and corky the terrier lover her also. It is too funny to watch Star just run around the dogs and they completely ignore her. She really rules the roost.

I am currently looking to add to our Chin family. I was interested in finding a rescue to adopt 1 or more chins but really do not see anything in our area. I live in southwest Ohio just outside of Dayton. I would be willing to take in a few chins that need new homes or may work with rescue organizations that are established elsewhere to be a foster care home.

Currently I am not looking to breed or show however I feel that this may be something that I look into in the future if I feel that I can be a positive influence in the area.  I really want more experience before I enter into that realm.

I am looking forward to learning from your experiences, wisdom and knowledge. And making some friends also.

Warmly
Jeannette

Dustys Mom

• Slave To The Furkids
    • View Profile
Re: Hello..New here
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 08:12:21 AM »

::wave:: welcome jeannette...
you definately came to the right place... hopefully one of the members will be able to direct you towards a rescue or breeder close to you..
i applaud you for your willingness to take in rescues.. more of us should really.. all animals deserve loving homes..
~Karin~
Proud Mom to: Dusty (chin), Coco & Sunny (poms) and Bubba (cat)
RIP - Poohbear (hammie)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 08:40:43 AM »

Hi Jeannette,
welcome to the forum. I do Shelter work (as well as breed) and it is such a rewarding experience!

I checked our Sheter Directory and there are only two in your state:
http://www.chinchillaclub.com/shelters/

There is a standard male chinchilla up for adoption in Dayton, Ohio:
Gus is a very friendly 2 year old male chinchilla. He is adorable and fun! His adoption fee is $50.00 and it includes his cage (house) and toys. Please stop by and visit with Gus today!
Humane Society of Greater Dayton
Dayton, OH
937-268-PETS
m_hardy@humanesocietydayton.org

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

coloblondy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 08:46:36 AM »

I saw that ad yesterday and called the shelter as soon as they opened. It had already been adopted out over the weekend. I was bummed. Most of the rescues in the state are at the opposite corner a good 3-4 hours away. I did see an ad for 2 baby  chins in Kentucky waiting for a call back on those. They are only about 2 hours away. OOOOh I can't wait!!!!!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 08:52:03 AM »

Awww, what a shame! :(

Well, I hope it works out with the 2 babies.  :::grins::
And if not there are 4 chinchillas for sale in Ohio on the Chinchilla Classifieds site:
http://www.chinchillaclub.com/classifieds/

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 09:45:41 AM »

;) coloblondy,  Hi there and welcome!!!  You are very good to be looking to adopt a rescue, bless your heart.  There are so many out there that need loving homes too.  I wish we lived closer to one another.  I am a rescuer as well as assist people in  re-homing their pet chins.  We get calls now a few times a month on average from people that need to give their chin(s) up.   I also work with the local shelters.   :) We could use all the help we can get from people like you!
Please let us know what you find! 
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

coloblondy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 09:51:04 PM »

:blush2: AWWWW, you guys really know how to make a girl feel welcome. I had also just registered on another forum. I wrote an ontro letter and tonight when I visited there I got a message that my IP address had been banned. Has this happened to anyone else?  I kinda feel bad about this.  >:( I cannot think of anything that I could have done wrong.

Well. great news...My family will be growing by 2. :::grins::  We will be adding 2... 13 week old males.  ::silly::One is an ebony and the other a beige. They are brothers. I think that we are going to name them Chimi and Chonga. My daughter came up with the names as names for her Chinchilla comic strip that she wants to do someday. Now I guess that she will have some real inspiration.

Jeannette

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 12:19:59 PM »

::silly::Hi Jeannette (aka coloblondy)!

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Chinchillas!

Willing to do rescue work is fantastic, but, remember any chinchilla you get, rescue or not, but especially rescues, need to be quarantined before putting them with your other chins ... for the health of all of them!

Caution:  As the boys get a little older ... even brothers that normally get along ... when your female goes in season, there is a good possibility they may fight ... even to the death  ... "survival of the fittest" ... even if neither of them can get to her.

You might want to touch base with the SPCAs in your driving area. Leave your name etc. and let them know you will do rescues on chinchillas.   Most do not have the facilities and/or knowledge to care for them and will often put them down immediately.

::wave::
Jo Ann[/i]
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

coloblondy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 02:14:15 PM »

Hi Joann,
Yes I am planning on quarantining them. I had already read and was aware of how long it takes to introduce them. I am also aware of keeping them seperated when my female goes into heat. I would hate if anything happened to them.  I have never paid attention to when she goes into season. If you can give me some advice in that area I would be forever grateful.

My new babies have already been vet checked with an A+ health record per the vet.  But you can never be too careful.

Jeannette
4 days and counting till I get the new babies.

Chins To Love

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Serenity
    • View Profile
    • Chins To Love
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 09:10:08 AM »

Hi Jeannette, and welcome. Glad to have you here. Congrats on your new babies!! ::thumbsup::
Post some pics sometime. Love to see them.
Julianne
Julianne,  Proud ECBC member

Chins To Love
Fresno, CA
www.chinstolove.com

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 04:59:10 PM »

So glad to meet you Jeannette.
Addictive aren't they. :D
Glad your looking at all the options of acquiring new chinchillas. ::nod::
I offer to take back all my babies, and over 8 years I just had mt second one come back.
They live so long and folks lives change so much, many times it's a good thing they were put up for adoption.
I sold a little guy last year, and the gals Mom wasn't satisfied she was doing a good job an taking care of. I commended her for bringing him back.
The daughter did play with it, but cage cleaning and over treating was a definite issue.
It was not bathed enough for a well handled chin either, and seems about 150 grams under weight.
I'm sure there are a couple of chins just waiting for you to come along, and will show you so much gratitude your heart will fill.
I find I bond just a little deeper with those special animals.
Debbie.nl.ca

chinchillagrl06

• The Petting Zoo
  • Appreciation points: 3
  • Monkeybuny
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 09:30:57 AM »

Congratulations on your new chins and Welcome!  :::grins::
Sarah (^..^)
& the Zoo Crew
Chinnies, Suggies, Kitties, and a Bunny.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 08:08:23 PM »

::silly::Hi Jeannette,

Are you planning on breeding any of the rescues?  If so, I'd like to caution you against that ... Unless you have the background on both chins.  They may appear healthy and all, but they may be carrying genes that lead to malocclusion, heart murmurs or some of the other health-threatening problems chinchillas sometimes have.

Some of the easiest ways to tell a female is in season or going into season is to watch the male.  They tend to get excited and become very loving and willing to please.  They will also do the "Swish-Swish Tail Dance" ... it's one of the cutest things you will see an adult male do.  He will swish his tail from side to side and then do a little hop-hop and repeat this several times.  It's as if he's saying ...  "Can I? Can I? Can I?"   If the answer is NO and he persist, he usually gets sprayed.   :doh:    :D

With the female, she will show a tiny bit of blood, just enough to notice it.  It's hard to catch her and check her unless you make a 'regular' deal of it ... then, it's just one of the normal routines.  During this time, she will tend to clean herself more often.  Chinchillas are very clean animals!

::wave::
Jo Ann

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 08:16:28 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 07:00:03 AM »

:blush2: AWWWW, you guys really know how to make a girl feel welcome. I had also just registered on another forum. I wrote an ontro letter and tonight when I visited there I got a message that my IP address had been banned.
We love having you here!  |hugs|  But which forum was it?  You might want to contact the admin and ask about it.  IP addresses are funny things, especially if you use AOL, because they change.  On our last board one of our moderators was suddenly "banned" one day.  I had to go into my list of banned IP addresses to find out which one was causing her the problem so she could get back on!

Lowcountry Chinchillas

coloblondy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 11:33:49 AM »

Hi Jamie,
I really want to refrain from mentioning the forum name at this time. I have had this happen to me 3 times already. I do not have ao and my IP adress is always the samel. As far as I know I have not violated any of the forum rules or policies. I have emailed the webmaster each time it has happened. The first 2 times I was back on pretty quickly. Today not even a peep. I emailed them at 7:30 am EST and as of 1:30 still no access. As a courtesy I had asked for a response and to date still have not received anything on that.

I had made several local contacts on that board and now I cannot even contact them. That is really a bummer.

Anyway, the new chins are here   :::grins:: and we are all having a blast geting to know them and them us. Chimi is our beige and Chonga the Ebony. Chimi is extremey friendy and Chonga is still a bit reserved but warming up quickly to the family. I have learned that Chonga is definetely not a morning person. :'( He does not like t be disturbed efore 9:00 am. Chimi wants to play all the time.

I'll post some pics later. right now the battery is dead on the camera and I need to find the charger.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up