Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: My Chinchilla  (Read 31700 times)

chinchillylvr

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: My Chinchilla
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 02:54:51 PM »

okay Jo Ann,
Are you insulting the lifestyles of my chinchilla and I???
All chinchillas are different!
Mine likes carrots, yours may not. mine likes fruit loops, yours may like potato chips, I don't know!
all i'm saying is that Maxie is COMPLETELY different.

Anyways, we cannot buy any of those food products because we have many other animals to care for aswell the chinchilla.

tinabeana, I'm trying to take some advice, but I cannot possibly take any advice from anyone if my thread is flooded with people who are just here to insult and critize!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006, 03:00:42 PM »

We are not criticizing how you live...we are trying to tell you that are going to make your chinchilla very sick!!  I know that chinchillas would love to eat fruit and vegitables and junk.  In fact they will eat just about anything you put into their cage, but that doesn't mean its OK to feed them that.  The fact is that a chinchilla was never meant to eat those sorts of foods.  Its digestive system is not able to handle a diet like that for very long.  Your chinchilla is very lucky that it has lived as long as it has on that sort of diet. 

We are giving you advice about what may be wrong with your chinchilla you just don't want to take it. We are telling you that your chinchilla's problem may very well be a direct cause of its diet.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

chinchillylvr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 03:12:39 PM »

well, we give her certain amounts of these foods to see if she likes them.
Lately she won't eat the vegetables. And by the time she trys the vegetables, they don't have any liquid left in them, to where they are straight dry...

chinchillagrl06

• The Petting Zoo
  • Appreciation points: 3
  • Monkeybuny
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 03:13:30 PM »

I'm sorry if you feel like your being attacked, but honestly we have the best interest of your chinchilla at heart. We want to help you to keep a healthy pet.

I don't want to insult you, but I want to be sure that you understand that while chins may like carrots, and fruitloops, they are not healthy for them to eat. I just want to help you to get the best possible diet and care for your chin.   :(
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 03:58:13 PM by chinchillagrl06 »
Sarah (^..^)
& the Zoo Crew
Chinnies, Suggies, Kitties, and a Bunny.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 03:17:17 PM »

You are the owner...much like a parent is to a child...when you bought her it was your responibility to learn about her special needs and stick to them. If you are going to contiue to feed her things you know are going to make her sick there is no point in asking for advice on why she is now sick!   >:(

Good Luck with your chinchilla...  :::(((

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

chinchillylvr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2006, 03:20:09 PM »

Thank you chinchillagrl! that is what I'm wanting to hear! i'll take some advice from you.... What food would you suggest?
(I'm not just asking chinchillagrl, I would like everyone to have a say ::nod::)

chinchillagrl06

• The Petting Zoo
  • Monkeybuny
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2006, 03:57:17 PM »

There are a number of very good foods out there you can get. I fed Mazuri for almost 2 years and have just recently switched to Purina Show Rabbit food for my chins. Other good brands include Oxbow and Tradition. Also chins need hay available to them at all times. I feed Timothy Hay.  :)
I know chins seem like they would have the same needs as rabbits, but their digestive system actually more closely resembles a horse.  ??? Fresh foods like veggies and fruits are wonderful it you have a bunny, but not easy for your chin to digest. They can cause diarrhea and you don't want to have to go through that. Occasionally you can give a treat such as a raisin, shredded wheat (unsalted/unsweetened), or an unsweetened cheerio. Chins also love rosehips.  ::nod::

Here are a couple of links to online vendors who sell chinchilla pellets and hay...

AZ Chins
http://chinstore.azchins.com/List.htm

http://www.chinchillaclub.com/links/pages/Breeder_Supply_Resources/Feed/

BTW.... what other animals do you have besides dogs?
Sarah (^..^)
& the Zoo Crew

chinchillylvr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 04:12:49 PM »

Thank you! I took your information about the Chins having a digestion system like a horse, and gave Maxie some of our horses dryed corn and pellet mix. Maxie loves it!
I can't believe I didn't think of the before!

We have:

4 horses
millions of dogs/bunches and bunches of little puppies ;)
millions of cats
millions of chickens
2 geese
1 pig
1 chinchilla
2 hamsters
a couple fish
20 birds

chinchillagrl06

• The Petting Zoo
  • Monkeybuny
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2006, 04:20:19 PM »

There is only one problem with the horse feed! Corn is not good for chins!  :doh: Sorry... I should have mentioned that in the last post... chins are similar to horses, but they are not the same. Corn is VERY fattening to chins.

Where do you get your horses feed at? I'm sure you have a feed store near by if you have horses and chickens... ask them about chinchilla food or a high quality rabbit pellet. I get a 50 lbs bag of food for only $10!  ::nod::
Sarah (^..^)
& the Zoo Crew

chinchillylvr

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 04:28:03 PM »

wow! only $10?!? that is good!
Is the corn feed okay for the meantime though?
I mean, we aren't able to go anywhere for chin food right now because of how high gas prices are.

Is there anything that is good for chins at wal-mart? rofl

chinchillylvr

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2006, 04:29:06 PM »

chinchillagrl, let's go into the chat room for health

chinchillagrl06

• The Petting Zoo
  • Monkeybuny
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2006, 04:37:38 PM »

I am actually going home from work right now... feel free to send me a PM if you want and i will write back first thing tomorrow.  ::nod::

You may want to do some reading...

There are a couple of sites you can check out.
www.chincare.com
www.chinsandquills.com
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 04:40:21 PM by chinchillagrl06 »
Sarah (^..^)
& the Zoo Crew

chinchillylvr

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 04:42:10 PM »

okay thanks!...
bye-bye

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2006, 06:16:00 PM »

::silly::Hi,

okay Jo Ann,
Are you insulting the lifestyles of my chinchilla and I???
All chinchillas are different!
Mine likes carrots, yours may not. mine likes fruit loops, yours may like potato chips, I don't know!
all i'm saying is that Maxie is COMPLETELY different.
Chinchillas like anything they can get their little teeth into and try to eat ... even electrical cords that are pluged in ... but that would kill them. :doh: 
   I am not insulting your lifestyle ... I would love to be on a farm ... I spent allot of time on one when I way young and loved it!   
     I am not insulting the chinchilla's life style, I am concerned for it's life, because of the 'life style' you have given it.   I am wondering why you did not make sure you could properly care for them before you got them.  That is the responsible thing to do.
     Chinchillas are an exotic animal not a domestic animal.  All the other animals you named that you have are domesticated and over the years and generations become accustom to things humans eat and do and they do not have the delicate stomach and system chinchillas do.
    Chinchillas are different as in each has it's own personality and  temperament.  But all chinchillas come from the same ancestors ... they are all made the same way, have the same digestive systems and nutritional  needs.  They are new to the pet world ... many people do not know how to care for them ... that is why they come here and to other forums.
     But when you have someone trying to help you by telling you how to care for them properly and you come back with the attitude

well, she has lived 1-and-a-half-years on those vegetables....
we believe she is very happy...
How can someone help you?
    Yes, she may like the fresh fruits, frootloops, saltines, etc. but that does not mean it is good for her.  I'm astonished she's still alive with that diet.  We care about the chinchilla's welfare.  We spend untold hours on here giving and getting information so that the chinchillas can be happy and healthy ... and that means every chinchilla.
Children would love to have cake, ice cream, pies, cookies and junk food ... but that does not mean it is good for them

Is there anything that is good for chins at wal-mart?

Yes, hay and some WalMarts carry Mazuri Chinchilla Pellets, or so I am told.

Thank you chinchillagrl! that is what I'm wanting to hear! i'll take some advice from you.... What food would you suggest?
(I'm not just asking chinchillagrl, I would like everyone to have a say )

A quote from California Chins Web site ... they are a research center for chinchillas ... so you won't think it is just me saying it ...

Chinchillas are vegetarians, primarily grass and seed eaters. They will eat alfalfa or hay. I recommend that you find out what type of hay is available for your local horse community, and get good hay from them ... alfalfa is the best as it has more leaf and less stem, and is richer than Timothy hay which is a favorite of breeders. Feed fresh pellets, and if the only really fresh is guinea pig or rabbit, then that is ok.   My standard food mix is  equal parts Manna Pro Show Rabbit Pellets, calf manna, and equine  senior.  I mix enough for a couple of weeks, adding 1 tablespoon human grade wheat germ oil and flax seed oil to 3 cups basic pellets. I mix well add the rest of the pellets ... I mix this up and give 4 oz per chinchilla per day plus hay. With the oil it must be refrigerated and not kept more than a few weeks. Extra pellets are frozen to decrease spoilage. They can get stale. ... Be careful however, they have a tender digestive system and can get diarrhea from too many treats...  When in doubt err on the side of hay and lots of it. Give them a little salt block and a few pressed alfalfa blocks. Since their teeth keep growing, they need lots of good gnawing material. A pumice stone is great. Various woods are also good, such as pine, apple and manzanita. Avoid woods like fir, spruce, plum or redwood. We also believe in giving some other supplements which you will find under health/supplements.  I frequently treat the chewable vitamins as daily treats, and they will eat Vitamin C and enjoy it as much as they do other sweets. You can give each type of pellets separately.  However, whatever you give should be fresh and not stale or spoiled.  Smell your pellets periodically to be sure they are still fresh. 

Anyways, we cannot buy any of those food products because we have many other animals to care for aswell the chinchilla.
If this statement is true, why are you even asking what to feed them? 
When you make a statement like the one above ... it seems to be saying 'you can tell me, but I'm going to do what I please anyway.'  That may not be what you mean, but it sure is how you come across.

When you ask for help, don't come with an attitude.

::wave::
Jo Ann [/i]
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chinchillylvr

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2006, 08:20:24 PM »

okay, jo ann, did we do something, or are you always like this? ???
We are just a couple of girls concerned about our little Maxie...
Ya know, we could have just let her sit in her cage, as it was, and cared for the horses or something.
But no :::(((. we wouldn't allow that because we love her...
so whatever happened We're sorry... :-[

Also, if you just want us gone say so. :'(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up