Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Frayed whiskers  (Read 10553 times)

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Frayed whiskers
« on: October 14, 2008, 02:44:57 PM »

hello everyone,

Sorry I haven't been around in a while, I had a super busy summer. 

I have a concern with my M'noke!  We just got back from three weeks holiday.  Our neighbours came and looked in on the animals everyday, and, once a week, our friend who knows the chins better, let them out for a long run.  Everybody seems fine and healthy.  A couple days ago I noticed that on M'noke's right side her whiskers are all split and frayed.  Kira seems fine.  Her behaviour is the same, she eats lots, poops lots, drinks lots and runs on her wheel tons.  She still only comes out to play about 5-10 mins a day (whereas Kira comes out 45 mins), but she's always been like that. ::silly::

Is this a deficiency of some kind?  They get vitamins in their water, they don't like cuttle bones much, but they get one of those every now and then anyway.  And they get good quality pellets and hay. 

nemue

• View Profile
Re: Frayed whiskers
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 03:20:28 PM »

Well, I solved my own problem.  I just called the vet, and we figured it was from their wheel.  They badly need a new one, and her whiskers are probably getting caught in it. 

Was thinking of getting this (they never caught on to the flying saucer) :
http://www.chinchillas.com/estore/detail.aspx?ID=107

Is 12" big enough for full grown chins?

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 06:07:27 AM »

The recommended minimum size for a chin wheel is 15" diameter. 

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 09:02:59 AM »

I may put the flying saucer back in until they get the new one.  Maybe she'll be so desperate to run she'll figure it out! 

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 08:55:15 AM »

I've been trying to buy this wheel for a week, and it's been out of stock.  Anyone know anywhere else I can order it from?

sashasmommy

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 07:30:01 PM »

do u have a petsmart around you? they carry them.
5 Chinnies- Sasha, Star, Stevie, Stuart, Baby
1 Dog- Sierra
1 Hampster- Lightning
2 Kids- Lauryn, Ashton

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 02:15:57 PM »

Thanks for the lead, I called all the petsmarts in the city, and none had them.  I even looked on the website :(  When I looked for a wheel last year I couldnt' find one anywhere!  I doubt I'll find something as fancy if that's the case. 

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 10:31:37 PM »

::silly::  It could also be from her or one of the other chins chewing on her whiskers.

A little trick to get the use to using the flying saucer wheel ...

If the wheel is attached inside the cage, take a string and tie it around a favorite treat (like a raisin) ...
lower it down into the cage just above her reach ...
it needs to be positioned above the wheel and off to one side  ...
(imagine the wheel as the face of a clock ... the treat should be in about the same area as the number 10 on a clock, if she is facing left OR about the #2 position if she is facing right)
If you keep it just out of reach, she will try to get it ... the only way to do that is to run ... it usually works for me  :2funny:

A 12 inch wheel will effect the spinal growth of your little one.  Never use one smaller than 15 inches in diameter.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 10:03:03 AM »

Thanks JOanne.  I'll give this a try tonight and see if they'll catch on.  I was just putting treats ON it before, and they'd hop up and eat them, then get off! 

It's definitely from the wheel.  It's so used (she loves it!) that it's crooked and the side that is frayed is dangerously close to where it could get caught!  Kira runs in the other direction if at all. 

GeorgeAndGracie

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 06:51:41 PM »

I get my wheels from here:

http://www.geocities.com/forchinatechins/chincessories.htm

It's a chin rescue and has great prices and service.  They can really get these moving and nothing to get their fat little toes or whiskers stuck in.

Veronica

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 11:41:58 AM »

Thanks for posting that website.  They will ship to Canada, so I'm going to try the wheel.  They just aren't into the flying saucer.  I tried the treat on a string thing, and it's still on the string... It's a raisin too!

I didn't know that chins can have loofa, is that true?  The website below has them as chewing treats.  My girls would probably love that.

I need a new wheel quickly, they are getting ansy.  The old wheel is in their play area still, and M'noke keeps crawling in it and looking sad  :'(

Brazilnut

• Appreciation points: 4
  • Chloe & me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 08:48:30 AM »

Hi there! I don't know if you've purchased a new wheel yet, but I have the 11" wheel called the "Chin Spin" which Chloe LOVES! Its well made and there isn't anywhere for the whiskers to get caught as the whole unit spins. It comes in sizes 11" or 15". If your chin is bigger than 650 grams I would recommend the 15".  The website is www.qualitycage.com and they ship worldwide. Good luck!

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 03:19:50 PM »

Thanks, I will give them a try.  I tried the last website posted, but they are waiting on "parts".  So, still no wheel for my girls.  The old one is in their play area and M'noke sits in it and looks sad....

I have the flying saucer wheel in the cage right now, adn yesterday we spotted Kira on it and swinging back and forth.  is this a good sign?  I'm kinda thinking the wheel might be too small (noticed this while she was on it).  Is there a minimum size for flying saucers too?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 04:25:57 AM »

::silly::  Hi nemue,

Yes, the swaying back and forth on the flying saucer wheel is a good sign.   ::nod::  We  have 6 of them and our chins love them.  Sometimes it just takes a little longer for a chin to figure it out.   :::grins::  If one figures it out, the others usually learn from the one.

Due to the way the flying saucer wheels are made, I do not think there is a minimum diameter on it.  On it, a chinchilla is running straight out, as if he is on the ground.  You might want to contact Dr. Marty Hull at Meadowbrook Chinchillas and ask him.  (He's the inventor of the flying saucer wheel.)  http://www.chin-chillas.com/

The restrictions on the diameter of the regular exercise wheels are due to the fact they can affect the curvature of the spine of the chinchilla as they grow up.  I would never use a regular wheel that is under 15 inches in diameter, not even with a kit.  Just my opinion.   :)

Good luck!   ::wave::
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 04:38:45 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 12:15:54 PM »

Thanks JOanne, that's good to know.  I did order another wheel (thanks Brazilnut) but being slightly different than what they used, they may have trouble with that.  I"ll see how the flying saucer goes.  They've had it in before for months with no result and M'noke gets sad without it.  she is shy and doesn't always want to come out and play, so without her wheel she gets no exercise  :(
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up