Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Could his heart be defective?  (Read 3487 times)

Chinderella

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Could his heart be defective?
« on: July 24, 2006, 12:01:40 PM »

:::((( I have two little boys who are 16 wks old. One is a standard (who is very big compared to the other one), and a Black Velvet (BV).

When I let them out to play they race around until they are done playing, then go back in their house.

But, I have noticed when the little BV races around, he will just stop, crawl into one of the hiding boxes on the floor and fall into a deep sleep.  After about 20 minutes he is up and about.  Is this normal? 

The reason I am so concerned, is that in May 2006 I lost a little BV to Congestive heart failure (from a different breeder out of state).  When the autopsy was performed, the vet told me half of his heart never developed, and that likely the local breeder is inadvertently breeding this particular heart condition.  I've since learned that the local breeder, doesn't keep careful records, and does not change breeding stock.

Though Gage doesn't exhibit any particular symptoms of the previous little BV (though the other one never acted sick either), he was small too when compared to the standard.

Do I need to be concerned, or his he like a small child, who plays until they are exhausted, then falls asleep right were they are.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Could his heart be defective?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 03:38:14 PM »

::silly:: Hi Chinderella,

Do I need to be concerned, or his he like a small child, who plays until they are exhausted, then falls asleep right were they are.

There could be allot of different answers to your question.  Your best bet is take it to the vet and have him check them both out.   

How long he is playing, how hard he is playing, the temperature in the room, if he is just running or being chased ... all of these (as well as his general health) could contribute to his actions and re-actions.   

I would get the vet to check him ... for peace of mind, if for no other reason.    If you don't and something does happen, you'll be beating yourself up because you didn't know and maybe you let him play to long, get to warm, etc or stress himself more than you would if you knew he had a bad heart.  It's best to be safe than to be sorry. 

::wave::
Jo Ann 
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chinchillagrl06

• The Petting Zoo
  • Appreciation points: 3
  • Monkeybuny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 04:41:52 PM »

Dawn at CAChins shared their findings from this years Health Care Day. I was shocked at the amount of heart defects and other abnormalities they found. I'll go over to the other forum and see if I can find the post to share the results.
Sarah (^..^)
& the Zoo Crew
Chinnies, Suggies, Kitties, and a Bunny.

chinchillagrl06

• The Petting Zoo
  • Appreciation points: 3
  • Monkeybuny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 04:47:14 PM »

http://www.chinsandgliders.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8955&hl=

Here is the link to the rescue report for CA Chins.  :o
Sarah (^..^)
& the Zoo Crew
Chinnies, Suggies, Kitties, and a Bunny.
Pages: [1]   Go Up