Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a bit squished chinchilla  (Read 7718 times)

Joel

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
a bit squished chinchilla
« on: August 30, 2008, 06:33:05 AM »

I let my chin run around my room with the doors closed.  Sometimes he hides under my recliner for a few minutes.  I hadnt seen him after several minutes so I went to investigate and saw his tail hanging down.  Apparently when reclining a hole forms in the lower back of the recliner.  When I sat back straight it would close up.  He had gotten pinched in there for a few minutes, maybe as many as 5-10 minutes at most.  He was acting strange when I put him back in the cage and seemed reluctant to move.  He is now moving some and having a snack.  Is he just scared from getting stuck or should I be on the lookout for some sort of internal injury or broken limb?  Thanks

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: a bit squished chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 08:49:19 AM »

yes you should look out for internal injuries or shock. You could have done a lot of dammage with the reclyner
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 08:54:12 AM »

yes you should look out for internal injuries or shock. You could have done a lot of dammage with the reclyner

is there anything that i can check for visually by myself

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 01:03:49 PM »

not really chinchillas hide thier pain very very well. without xrays it would be hard to see most injuries. Watch your chinchilla to see if it is acting normally, moving around, eating, pooping and all that
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 05:04:19 PM »

If he is acting strange in any way at all, even if you don't think it's related, take him to get checked out. Like starleomach said, chins hide their injuries very well so watch for any change at all and get him checked out. Wish you all the best of luck and hope the little guy's okay.

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 02:57:31 AM »

yes and please keep us updated . and remember those little guys can get into places you wouldnt ever think of . Its sometimes hard to stay a step ahead of them.

Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 09:10:38 PM »

Sorry for not responding for so long.  Tai never really seemed to have any problems extending from the chair incident.  He is doing well for the most part.  My wife is frustrated because she wants him to be more cuddly, but he doesnt like being held.  He has acted strange lately in that he has started sitting quietly most the time on a shelf in my room when i let him out of the cage instead of running around and exploring.  I assume its because he has gotten used to the layout of the room and has become somehwat bored with it.  He does make a whining sound occasionally.  Any advice onn how to make him more friendly would be appreciated

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 12:43:35 PM »

chinchillas are not cuddely pets. and very often do not want to be held, they like to run and play
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Deeliteful

• # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 07:43:22 PM »

I have to agree . Chins are not cuddly they look it but arent . most of the time they would rather run and play and bounce and get into things they arent supposed to . Some will however sit with you maybe beside you or on your lap but I wouldnt expect it to happen .

Chupers doesnt like to be handled or held . I can handle him and do when I have to but I try not to because he just doesnt like it . You guys havent owned your little one very long . It takes patience and time .

As for the whining sound . There is no telling . Some times out of the blue Chupers will cry . Just this loud cry two or 3 times . Sometimes He hollars at me for leaving the TV on the wrong channel . Soon as I go in and change it to cartoon network he gets quiet and watches . As long as he doesnt seem to be in pain or distress honest there is no telling.  ::shrug::

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 07:48:50 AM »

Try putting him inside your jacket or something.
I wear fleeces a lot here, and let my chins run around inside it as I'm wearing it.
I hold my arms out straight and they will run from one sleeve to the other, poking their heads out the ends of the sleeves, then running back up the neck opening.
It feels wild and mine love it. They feel secure and safe in there.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 04:18:17 PM »

I find it takes ayear or over to fully gain their trust but mine never like to be held
even the babies who I held from birth every night now squirm out of my hands. I can hold them but they don't like it. So I'm content just to let them come to me, mostly they're only interested in me if they think I have food though. :::grins::

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 03:34:21 PM »

If the whinning sound sounds like a squeaky toy, he may just be talking to you.  My girls talk to each other like that. 

Mine have days where they don't want to come out and run around.  I give them about 15 mins, and every now and then they just sit there and stare at me, other days they can't wait to get out and are hopping around like mad-chins.  Just like us, their moods are different every day.

He could be bored though.  My Kira tries to get out of teh enclosure (and often succeeds) every day.  M'noke couldnt' care less.  Depends on how curious and trouble-maker-like their personalities are  ::(:Down::
Pages: [1]   Go Up