Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Young chin with bad cold possible pneumonia  (Read 4540 times)

mrchillybeans

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Young chin with bad cold possible pneumonia
« on: July 20, 2006, 04:46:05 PM »

On Tues. am my chin Amelia was congested...this seemed to happen suddenly. She wasn't very interested in her food. I brought her to the vet the same am, and by 1130a she had had her first dose of enroflaxacin 20mg/ml. Her nose is stuffy and running and so are her eyes.
It is now Thurs. eve and she doesn't seem to be getting better.
I am bringing her in tomorrow am.
She had something very similar to this last Sept. and the enrofloxacin worked well for it.
Any ideas? Help? thank you!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Young chin with bad cold possible pneumonia
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 12:49:16 PM »

I find getting cold air in their lungs help to open the bronchial tubes, just as it would with a child with asthma or pneumonia.
My Cody had several asthmas attacks last winter. If it wasn't too freezing I would wrap him in a towel, open a window and stand in front of it.
If it was too cold or stormy I would open the freezer door and hold him over the cold air coming from it.
I thought I would loose him one night and sat their for an hour waving the freezer door at him.
If I had a small humidifier I would have used that with ice in it for short periods. I was going to buy one and may yet, but he has been fine for the last few months.
No wheezing at all. I;ll have to wait for the winter I guess to see how he does.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up