Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a New Cage  (Read 5736 times)

chinchillaboy4

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • My myspace
Need a New Cage
« on: June 24, 2008, 02:59:26 PM »

I bought a new cage about 6 months ago, it has a copper bottom and it is a real pain to clean, so im looking for a new cage, but all the ones ive been looking at are to small or dont seem fit for a chinchilla. Any suggestions? O and the cage is for one chinchilla, and i keep a saucer wheel in it, and a house for him to sleep in.

Floluvschins

• Appreciation points: 0
  • <3
    • View Profile
Re: Need a New Cage
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 05:48:27 PM »

i use the ferret nation cages. tray bottoms that pull out are so easy to clean! and the doors open up the whole width of the cage. you can get a single unit. a double unit or a add on. i have a double unit with a add on. it is over 7 feet tall. You can also clip the ramps up to close off a section. Me male is separate from my females right now. The cage is kinda pricey but it is worth it and really easy to put together.

chinchillaboy4

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • My myspace
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 02:06:20 PM »

where can i get one of those cages?

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 03:39:38 PM »

I have one of these as well.  It's awesome.  YOu can get them at almost any pet store.  Ferret cages are perfect for chins.  Mine has a door that opens on both levels to gie me full access for cleaning. 

BooBoo*TheKiddo*

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 08:16:54 PM »

I use ferret cages for my chins as well.

Just not the ferret nation. The one I use has a plastic bottom and I put a liner over it.

WOOTS for easy to clean.

Using liners...I have 2 for each cage. One goes out and the other goes in. I wash the one that just came out after shaking it off and hang it to dry. And repeat every week. :)

Deeliteful

• # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 08:58:07 PM »

ferret cage here too . I bought it at pet smart . Its a four level cage ... I am however replacing the plastic shelves in it with wooden ones here soon . He hasnt been chewing on them yet but I know my little guy too well.

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 06:42:23 AM »

I have used a multitude of commercial cages and found things I disliked about each of them.  So now I custom build all of my cages.  It's a great  option if you have the time and are a little handy with tools.

Deeliteful

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 11:18:49 AM »

Abby my husband wants to custom build us A grand cage for the Chupers and a couple for the rats . We have a topper on a 20 gallon tank so he got an idea about how to do it thing is he doesn't know where to get the little metal things to put it all together with . So seems like you are the person to ask.

Abby W.

• View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 12:51:09 PM »

You can either use J-clips or C-rings.  You can find them at Tractor supply, or most farm supply stores.  Or you can order them from Martin's cages online.  Hope that helps!

Deeliteful

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 10:43:09 AM »

Thank you Abby  :::grins:: I will pass that on to Him . He has been wanting to do this for some time now.

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 02:35:52 PM »

I use ferret cages with wire mesh floors and replace every other one with wood. I found some guy on eBay who makes custom sized shelves out of untreated pine. :::grins::

My only problem is my little guy, Chong, has a habit of peeing everywhere and it goes all down the sides of the cages which means when him and the babies climb up between the cage and the wall they get covered in sticky yuck. I find my cages so hard to clean and end up having to get the whole thing into the shower and hose it down with warm water every couple of weeks. I'm always unsure whether to leave the wood in a wash it too and then dry it with a hair dryer or unscrew it all and take it out. It takes me so long. Does anyone else have problems like this? I also have problems of where to put my chinchillas when I'm cleaning out their cages as I have to be in and out of the room to take them into the bathroom.

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 04:40:55 PM »

You can go to ferret.com. Their shipping is only $6.99
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

Deeliteful

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 05:50:06 PM »

I use ferret cages with wire mesh floors and replace every other one with wood. I found some guy on eBay who makes custom sized shelves out of untreated pine. :::grins::

My only problem is my little guy, Chong, has a habit of peeing everywhere and it goes all down the sides of the cages which means when him and the babies climb up between the cage and the wall they get covered in sticky yuck. I find my cages so hard to clean and end up having to get the whole thing into the shower and hose it down with warm water every couple of weeks. I'm always unsure whether to leave the wood in a wash it too and then dry it with a hair dryer or unscrew it all and take it out. It takes me so long. Does anyone else have problems like this? I also have problems of where to put my chinchillas when I'm cleaning out their cages as I have to be in and out of the room to take them into the bathroom.

I wash all the wooden shelves with hot water and scrub them . then let them dry under a fan . as long as the wood doesnt soak in water it dries pretty quickly .
Pages: [1]   Go Up