News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving  (Read 2020 times)

Lenlin54

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Moving
« on: June 13, 2008, 03:26:27 AM »

I've only had my chinchilla a little over a month now. He is just getting used to his new cage, my apartment and me for that matter. I feel like we have made a lot of progress becoming palls. but in two weeks I move 10 hours north through california's hot valley. I'm very concerned about the drive and the stress that this will put on him. Since he has had little time to destress from his move out of the pet store. I just purchased a cat carrier that he cant eat through but the heat, nose of a long drive makes me worry about his health. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you  :)

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Moving
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 07:55:48 AM »

Your chin should travel just fine in his own cage, if he can. We moved from Alaska to Wi and my two chins were in they own cages and didn't even seem to care. They had the rest of the animals in the car to. We moved in August but for our animals it was warm out. We left them in the car with the other animals at night and they stayed warm. I feed and checked their water every night when we would stop for the night. It took us 10 days to get to WI. If you have just the one chin and if you stay at a hotel you can probly take him in with you. Motel 8 will let you have animals in the rooms. Hope this helps. 
Quyana Shannon Seager

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Moving
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 09:49:55 AM »

Be sure to keep the ac on at all times, even when you stop to eat or go to the bathroom. Keep the cage in the middle of the back seat where it will be less likely to ever be in the sun.  Position the ac vent to blow right at the cage.  Pack a cooler with some frozen water bottles and any cookie tins or chin chiller (marble tiles) you might have.  You never know when you might have car troubles and if the ac went out or the car died these cold items rotated in the cage could save your chins life.  Always better to be safe than sorry.  :) 
Keep the radio in the up front speakers or turned down low if your chinchilla isn't used to that much noise.  If you keep him in his cage be sure all large tubes and houses are on the bottom floor or are anchored down.
If you choose to use the cat carrier change the shavings in his cage about 48 hours before the trip.  Then the night before the trip fill the cat carrier with the shavings from his cage. Since they will smell like him he will be more comfortable.  Place the chinchilla in the cat carrier the night before also so he can settle in while he is still in familiar surrounding.
He will be just fine :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up