Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Princess C-section  (Read 3689 times)

Chins To Love

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Serenity
    • View Profile
    • Chins To Love
Princess C-section
« on: July 16, 2006, 12:48:25 PM »

Hello,
Jo Ann asked me to write more about this, so here goes.....
Princess, one of our white ebony females was getting close to her due date, earlier in her pregnancy you could feel two kits moving ( easier to tell when they are moving in differerent directions which is not always possible).  Toward her due date you could still feel two distinct heads, but only one kit ever seemed to be moving. We were not sure if we were always catching one sleeping or if there was a problem.  She seemed to be overdue, but we were not sure of an exact date, just a close proximity.  She finally did go into labor, and was having a harder time then she has ever had delivering before.  She produced one male kit, no placenta (our first clue) and continued to have labor pains. This was apparent by all of her stretching, labored breathing, and continued pushing efforts.  I have never had a chin take longer than a few hours to deliver her full litter, but decided to give Princess more time. We kept her in our room on our bed with us, she was still looking great, no signs of fever, lethargy, diarrhea, so we kept an eye on her and let her continue. By the next morning still nothing.. no placenta, no kit, just a mommy who was starting to get very tired.   
Thankfully Piadora delivered a kit (female standard) and she has always been our best mom. We took a chance and tried to foster in Princesses kit...in case we had to take her for a c-section, or even worse if she didn't make it.  We stayed with Piadora for a few hours to make sure the fostering would go okay, as we have never had to do this before. All seemed to be going well, so we left our daughter in charge of Piadora and the two kits, and took Princess to our vet.
He took an x-ray, and it showed one kit still inside. He could not tell if it was alive or not (but at this point we were assuming not). He preformed a c-section, and the nurse came out to tell me that Princess was doing well, but the kit had turned out to be a non-viable, severely deformed kit (they asked if I wanted to see it, but I declined). He put Princess on Baytril and sent us home. He was very glad that we had fostered in the healthy kit not only because of the antibiotics, but also so she could heal without further drain on her system, or irritation to her wound.
Princess is now doing very well, eating and playing as usual, and back up to her normal weight. The fostering was a huge success, and both kits are growing up fast. Piadora is a great mom.
We are very thankful, and truly blessed.
Julianne

Here are some pics of them all.
Julianne,  Proud ECBC member

Chins To Love
Fresno, CA
www.chinstolove.com

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Princess C-section
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 02:00:36 PM »

::silly:: Thanks, Julianne,

This gives a much better idea of all that occurred and why you were able to know something was going wrong.  These are the things people need to be aware of when they have a pregnant mom.  Know what is and is not 'normal' for most chins.  Every chin is different, but many times, being aware of what is changing is what lets us know there could be trouble and we need to get professional help. 

Normally, I will not let one of mine go more than 4 hours in full labor before I get it to the vet.

When you are feeling of the kits moving, it needs to be extremely gently ... they can easily be killed.

No placenta (after birth) is definitely a sign something is up that is not good.  The placenta for each kit must be expelled, if not, it can decay inside the mother and set up a severe infection, often causing death.

*** If you find kits, but did not see them born, but find no afterbirth, do not panic ... the mother usually eats the placenta for nourishment to help provide for the kits.  If she does not eat the placenta, that is one of the first signs that there may be something wrong with the kit it belongs to (even tho it may not be apparent at the time).  Keep an eye on that kit.

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Chins To Love

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Serenity
    • View Profile
    • Chins To Love
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 03:29:21 PM »

Thanks Jamie for moving this to the right section.
And yes Jo Anne, sorry that I forgot to mention it, but feeling for kits is very tricky business. My husband grew up raising rabbits, and is very good at feeling for kits, and knowing just how to put his hands on the moms belly. The safest way for most owners to feel for kits is to just hold their chins, if you gently place the flat of your palm under moms belly and are patient you will usually feel them moving.
And yes, I don't think I would ever let another chin go that long in labor. We were truly lucky.
Julianne,  Proud ECBC member

Chins To Love
Fresno, CA
www.chinstolove.com

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 09:40:31 AM »

Thanks so much for sharing that Julianne, I have often wondered about this topic.
I've had to assist, but nothing close to needing a c-section.
Have seen a few hard deliveries, amazing, frightening, and frustrating sometimes.
I'm so happy Princess has recovered well.
Just wondering, could you put the kit back with it's natural Mother, or would that be tricky at this point.
I guess her milk would dry up.
So how long could you foster before there is no point of return to the birth mother?
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up