Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loneliness because of Infection  (Read 2127 times)

outlaw1306

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Loneliness because of Infection
« on: February 29, 2008, 12:12:32 AM »

My 3-year-old chin, Sid, got an eye infection earlier this week. I noticed it Monday, his eyelid was red and swollen and patches of fur were missing around it. So, I took him to the vet and got some drops to put in and it's finally starting to clear up. As soon as I noticed the possible signs of infection I separated Sid from his 1-year-old cagement, Johnny.

It's been 5 days now and the stress of being alone is taking its toll on Johnny. He's restless and whimpers a lot, sometimes even barks for several minutes just to get attention. His stool is a lot lighter color and harder than usual and he eats and drinks a lot less. He won't even run on his wheel or come out of the cage for playtime. Sid, however, seems to be content being on his own. In fact, I think he's enjoying his break from the more energetic and sometimes bullying Johnny. But, my poor little John is heartbreaking to watch. I was told by the vet to keep them separated for the remainder of the eyedrop treatment but I was wondering if it was possible to bring them back together now that the infection is starting to clear up. I don't want to Johnny to catch anything from Sid, but I'm also worried about the stress Johnny's going through. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 12:14:55 AM by outlaw1306 »

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Re: Loneliness because of Infection
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:53:37 PM »

Are they in seperate rooms? If it's an infection that can only be spread by coming into contact with it perhaps they can be in cages side by side? You should double check with your vet though just to make sure but it might make it easier on Johnny. Just make sure you wash your hands after touching Sid and it shouldn't spread?

outlaw1306

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 01:40:41 AM »

They're actually in the same cage. There's a ramp in the cage that folds up and dissects the 4-level cage in half, so they're still pretty close they just can't come in contact.

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 12:58:55 PM »

Did the infection maybe occur from a scuffle that resulted in an infection, maybe from a tiny nip? The one chin might be tired of having a cagemate, especially if he seems fairly content. I would think that if the feeling is mutual, the other chin might respond to the lonely calls of the other. I would just closely observe their behavior. If the drop treatment lasts for more than ten days, they might have to be re-introduced to each other. I would wait until the treatment is complete, and closely observe them playing together and slowly move them back together. I have had several pairs that lived wonderfully with each other until one chin would change their mind. I keep small stuffed animals on hand, for the lonelier chin. You can put it in the cage with the chin needing space, so their scent gets on it. Then put it in the cage with the lonely chin. I have seen alot of times where the lonelier chin will just cuddle up with the stuffed animal.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

Lori Ramsey Earle

• Appreciation points: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 11:51:52 PM »

In terms of putting the two chins back together - it depends upon what the eye infection is. If it is something contagious like conjunctivitis, then it's very important to keep them apart til treatment is completed. If Sid has a corneal scratch, then you could put them back together. Keep in mind that you'll need to restrict dustbaths til Sid's eye is healed. So if the chins are back together, that means no dustbath for Johnny either.
If you decide to keep them apart, give Johnny some extra attention - like taking him into the bathroom for an evening run, or something else that's different and fun for him. YOu could give him some yogurt for a treat as well, which might stimulate his appetite. If he continues to not eat well, you might want to get his teeth checked. Since he is whimpering, check out his stomach for gas. In other words, watch Johnny carefully, on the outside chance that his discomfort might be physical not psychological. Just a thought.
Lori
Pages: [1]   Go Up