Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP LULU FELL IN THE TOILET!  (Read 8918 times)

Beth

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
HELP LULU FELL IN THE TOILET!
« on: February 09, 2008, 03:54:14 PM »

I usually leave the lid down, but i was just rushing around and heard a splash!  I saw her running and she dashed under the dresser where I can't reach her.  As far as I can see the bottom half of her is wet and her tail is soaked, but her back looks realatively dry.  I left the dust bath near the dresser but she's  nnot going in it PPLEASE HELP I DON'T WANT HER WET AND COLD AND TO DIE!

Billydkd

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: HELP LULU FELL IN THE TOILET!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 04:01:11 PM »

Get her out from under the dresser dry her off, put her back in her cage. Do not give her a bath till she is dry. You're going to have to watch for fungus.
Billy

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 04:09:08 PM »

I can't catch her!!!! she won't let me!!!! :'( :'(

Billydkd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 04:12:15 PM »

I can't? bull.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 04:14:09 PM by Billydkd »
Billy

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 04:14:07 PM »

phew.  i finally caught her and dried her off.  she's back in her cage.  Now, what about fungus?  Do I wait until later tonight to let her have a bath?

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 04:23:05 PM »

thank you so much for your quick reply by the way :::grins::

Billydkd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 04:25:42 PM »

You did all that in 5 minutes?  If this is a game it needs to stop. You can't dry her off in 4 minutes.
Billy

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 04:29:30 PM »

Hey Billy, back off, ok? 
 :noway:

Beth, you need to make sure she is completely dry.  Chins can chill and become ill easily when wet.  You can keep her wrapped in a towel or if you own a hair dryer turn it onto it's lowest setting and hold her about 6 inches away from the air until she is completely dry.

As for the fungus, you may want to put a little Tinactin in her dust bath for this week to ward off any possible fur or skin fungus.  I am not sure of the exact amount, but I know it's not a lot.  There is another thread on here that will tell you how much to use.

I am sure if you do those things Lulu will be just fine.  It sounds like you are doing good.

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 04:32:12 PM »

Thank you so much Abby.  I will wrap her in a towel for a while now and sit with her.  I don't own a hair dryer, how long should I keep her wrapped up?  Jeez, I'm still shaking from being in a panic!

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 04:41:06 PM »

LOL Beth.  We have all been there at one time or another!  With 25 chins, hyperventilation is a near regular occurrence around here!  My babies are always trying to find new and inventive ways to scare the heck out of me!Just take a few deep breaths and tell yourself it's gonna be ok. 

She needs to be completely dry before you put her back in her cage. It may take some time because their fur is so thick.  Just keep patting her fur with the towel until she's dry.

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 05:52:45 PM »

The things chins get into. When I first got Petie, he got into the bathroom somehow. The only way I knew was because I went to use the restroom and apparently he was courteous enough to sit on the potty and poo. I was so proud. I have had so many freakouts here with the chins. The best thing you can do is remain calm. If you are scared, the chin will be too. Whenever I have to wrap them up (for bitten toe cleaning or the occasional bootie cleaning for my shelf pee-ers) when they start getting really nervous, I stop what I am doing with them and talk softly and give little chin scratches. I do tinactin once a week anyways with the chins. Just for preventative treatment. I'm sure lulu will be all right! You are a great chin owner, we can see how much you love your chins in your posts!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 06:12:59 PM »

Thank you so much.  We've both calmed down and I've gotten her completely dry.  After a raisin, all is forgotten, for now.  She'll probably be a little wary of me for a while though.  I have patience with the little one though, and with enough love she'll soon be back to her darling self.  I'm going to get some tinactin tomorrow.  How much do you use with approx. a cup of dust?  Thanks again, all of you!

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 07:12:46 PM »

She will be fine. When I first had my chinchillas Harm (my first) jumped into my bath while he was having playtime. I immediatly got him out and while I went to get a towel he rolled into clumping kitty litter (thankfully it was clean litter. but it was a mess. I had to trim the part that was all clupmed up and dry him with a towel. Ten years later he is still with me and is fine.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 10:23:46 AM »

Thanks again guys.  I noticed Lulu has sneezed at least twice this morning.  I will examine her nose this evening when I let her out for playtime, and if it's wet I need to take her to the vet, right?  I'm so nervous she'll die!

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 10:42:23 AM »

I am sure she will be okay. If you are still nervous, then just take her to a vet for a checkup on Monday. The vet can do a good check for fungus and any type of infection your chin might get from getting a chill (if she were to get pneumonia, you would at least catch it very early). Chins are very resilliant, but sometimes it is just worth the cost of a vet visit just to ease your worries. With my chins, I am always safe rather than sorry. You are a good chin mommy and you are watching her carefully. Just go with your gut!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up