Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Daisy Due (i think)  (Read 11019 times)

Misskitz

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Daisy Due (i think)
« on: July 14, 2006, 06:42:37 PM »

Here's what happen,

When i got my 2 sisters they were in a cage with the owners standred Grey chin,The owner said my chins were ABSOLUTE NOT pregnant. so i went along till i noticed Miss.Daisy was 900 grams, I was alarmed because i thought she wasn't pregnant i was wrong.  ::wow:: i emailed the lady and she said "ohhhh, my mistake i found the mating plug today after i cleaned the cage." I was excited but still mad because she lied :flames:.I did A LOT of research and now know almost everything. So are waiting for the big day! ::wub:: Keep you posted!
"don't let nobody tell your life is over......be every color that you are!"

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Due (i think)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 09:55:32 PM »

;)  Hi there,

Do you know what her due date is?  I am so excited we are expecting our first litter within the next 2 weeks.  Mia is now 1,071 grams.
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

Misskitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 10:04:51 PM »

a couple of days :::grins::, she lost alot of wieght so we have a camcorder in the room so at night we can keep track of her. She went from 1,128 grams to 900.

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 10:51:08 PM »

Wow, 1,128 grams!!!  Why did she lose so much weight and go down to 900 grams? 
So she's due in a couple of days, gosh I won't even be able to sleep around Mia's due date!  I'll be up with toothpicks in my eyes so I am sure not to miss a minute of it.  You'd think I was having the baby, or one of my daughters was having a baby!
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 04:41:51 AM »

::silly:: Hi MissKitz,

She dropped
from 1,128 grams to 900
and she's due in
a couple of days
??? Are you sure she is still pregnant?  Have you checked the cage good for kits?  Are the wires on your cage 1/2" by 1" or smaller?

till i noticed Miss.Daisy was 900 grams, I was alarmed because i thought she wasn't pregnant i was wrong.   i emailed the lady and she said "ohhhh, my mistake i found the mating plug today after i cleaned the cage."
  How long did you have Miss Daisy before you realized she was pregnant?  Just wondering how long it was before the woman "found the mating plug today after i cleaned the cage."?  I would hate to think she had not cleaned the cage in over 3 months, since it takes approximately 111 days from the time they mate until they deliver and you say she is due in a couple of days????

I did A LOT of research and now know almost everything.
  You must learn quickly.

::wave::
Jo Ann[/i]
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Misskitz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 08:54:06 AM »

Thanks Joyce I've Been up till 3 o'clock in the morning ::thumbsup::. so Jo Ann I've had my Chinnies for about 90 days And i emailed her about 1 week after i got them. And I'm positive Because this morning (7/15/06) we took miss daisy to her vet and he said that she's ready to have her kits. He said about 2 kits. I've been cleaning the cage every other day now so i can check for kits. And yes the cage I'm moving her to is 1/2" by 1".

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 09:47:26 AM »

::silly::Hi MssKitz,

Oh, OK ... it was a bit confusing the way you said it ... Thanks for clearing things up.   ::nod:: It sounded like it happened all just recently.

What made you think she was pregnant the first week you got her?  ::)  If you've had her 90 days, then she would have been only about two weeks pregnant at that time.  Tell us the secrete of knowing that quickly!   ::nod::

Did the vet say why she lost all that weight?  :-\  That's unusual for a momma about to have kits.   :o

Glad you are moving her into the cage with the correct wire size.  I've heard so many stories about kits that were born, then fell out/crawled out of the cage the first day and were killed.   :::(((

Moose (from Shoots) & Mandy (from KC Vetter) had two girls this morning!  One standard gray and one black velvet!    ::fruit::

Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Misskitz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 03:07:49 PM »

Well Jo Ann I just suspected when i weighed her and what a difference was between strawberry shortcake and daisy. so when i read different breeding 101 topics i noticed that weight gain and laying on their side meant one thing, she's prengant!  ::) also i wrote the wrong confusing thing the vet said after the birth she be 900 grams and keep losing till she's a healthy 750 grams again! :::grins::

Misskitz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 08:19:43 PM »

Please help!  :-\ 

Daisy had a contraction and now i can't feel her nipples i called the vet he said to bring her in the morning.He also said if worse comes that she has the kits i just have to bottle feed them.I'm freaking out because this is my first litter and i love daisy. :( So if anyone can please help by saying what could have happen please do! ::balloon::

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 12:25:16 PM »

::silly:: Hi MssKitz,

The weight difference between Strawberry and Daisy was not due to one being only two weeks pregnant ... one was just healthier than the other, at that point and time.

All chinchillas grow at different rates.  Their weights can vary according to the food they are getting and the amount of exercise ... weight gain only, is not a definite sign of pregnancy.  ::nono::  :o  Neither is laying on their side ... I have males that lay on their sides and they are definitely NOT pregnant.   :doh: rofl

I would love to know how your vet knows positively that she will drop to 750 after giving birth to the kit/kits.  ::shrug::  Going from 1,128 grams down to 900 grams before delivering is NOT normal, then expecting her to drop to 750 grams and say that would be a healthy weight?   :o   I think you need to double check with the vet on those facts.  Was this the same vet that weighed her when she weighed 1,128 grams?  Is this the same vet that is not concerned about her loosing about 200+ grams and has not delivered her kit/kits yet? ???  Please, make sure you get your facts straight before posting them.  There are other first time soon-to-be-new-kit-parents out there, that I am sure, are very confused by your statements ...  :-\  I've raised chinchillas for many years and I do not understand the statements you are making.   :doh: ::shrug:: :doh:

Are you sure she had a contraction, or do you just think she had a contraction?  Have you seen a chin in labor before? ::silly::

Her nipples would not shrink just because she had a contraction.  rofl

He also said if worse comes that she has the kits i just have to bottle feed them.
  This makes NO SINCE unless you have been calling him frequently with lots of questions ... this could be his way of saying (politely) he would like for you to calm down, wait till she starts having the kits and if there is a problem ... then call him.  When doctors/vets start giving you off the wall answers, it is usually because you have pestered them to the point they may quit answering your questions.  If it were me, I would not call again, unless she is delivering and there is a problem, or if she is trying to deliver and there is a problem. ???

IF you do have to bottle feed them ... do you have the formula, bottles and all that you will need, just in-case you do need it?   ::fruit::

I'm freaking out because this is my first litter and i love daisy.
  If you love Daisy, the best thing for you and for her is to quit freaking out, calm down, make sure you have every thing you need (including rest), quit hovering over her ... let her get some needed rest, she won't have any after the kits get here.    ::outofmymind::

From what you have posted so far, she got pregnant approximately 98 days ago ...  Chinchillas can have a normal delivery as early as 102 days and as late as 120 days.  For her sake, if for no other reason, calm down, please.    ::glare::  :hugs:

With 2 vet visits in 3 days ... I would hate to have your vet bills!
Jo Ann[/i]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 02:52:24 PM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

Misskitz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 03:53:54 PM »

Sorry Jo Ann try to explain better. :blush2: Daisy now is 1,128 after she'll probably lose slowly 200 grams so she'll be around 800 right!? (i stink at math) ::silly:: this all the same vet hes a really good vet! ::nod:: I think she had a contraction and yes i have seen a chin in labor. The vet said not to call him expect if there is a problem during birth.  ::wow:: I have everthing, even calming  down! :D Jo Ann what is the average delivery date like some people say 108 and 106. I have to only pay off half of one vet bill by working it off for him he payed the rest. I'm sorry every one about not making sense. Thanks Jo Ann!

Chins To Love

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Serenity
    • View Profile
    • Chins To Love
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 04:44:39 PM »

Hi Misskitz,
I think that if I have gotten all of this straight,
you got two female chins, you also thought they would not turn up prego. OOPS!
Next, wala...prego, okay..
I think you are saying that she now weighs 1,128g and is probably due in a couple of weeks.
You and your vet are assuming that she will lose 200g after birth, which will put her around 900g...........but we won't know her actual loss till later, so let's not worry about that now. Also 900g would be a very healthy weight for her (my smallest chins weigh around 750g, and my largest are 900-1000g).
I would put her in the 1"x1/2" openings cage now, if you are not sure when she will deliver, then please don't take any chances of those babies being born in a cage that they can get out of.
Some scales will be different from others ( i don't think 200g) but try to use only one scale to gauge her weight gain and loss on as you will be much more accurate. Do you have your own gram scale, a postal one is the best.
I would not worry about feeling for nipples especially if this is your first litter. They can be hard to find under all that fur. Nature usually takes care of itself, and it would be pretty unusual for her to not have working nipples, and her milk will probably not be in yet with two weeks to go. Make sure you let her eat her placenta as it will give her protein and hormones that will bring her milk in better.
When she truly goes into labor (which is usually in the morning hours) you will notice her stretching herself- it looks like she is lengthening herself as far as she can, and eventually when she has contractions she will generally arch her back and then stick her little face down to look and check on her own progress. Then she will rest and it will all start again, eventually and this can mean 1-2 hours of this, and she should begin to push. Mine usually stand up (some even hang on to the bars of their cage) and you can really see them making an effort to push the kits out.
You will know she is done when she passes her placenta, again it is very important that she eats it. I am not sure what color Daisy is but if she is a lighter color and you are not around when she passes the placenta you will usually see bloody stains on her front feet, and around her mouth.
If you are around when she delivers make sure she is not so busy delivering more kits that she cannot get the ones born dry and warm. If you have to help with this have a warm (not hot) towel handy, dry them off and get them back with mom as soon as possible.
Good luck and PLEASE keep us posted.. when you can.
Julianne,  Proud ECBC member

Chins To Love
Fresno, CA
www.chinstolove.com

Chins To Love

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Serenity
    • View Profile
    • Chins To Love
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 04:49:38 PM »

::shrug:: Hi Sara, it's me again. I just realized you are only 14, (don't  take that wrong.. my 15 year old daughter is one of the most mature people I know!!!)  But that in mind are your parents available to help you through this delivery. If they are try to let them read some of the posts here so they will know more too.
All our best thoughts and prayers are with you! ;)
Julianne,  Proud ECBC member

Chins To Love
Fresno, CA
www.chinstolove.com

Misskitz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 06:57:46 PM »

thank you so much Chins To Love, you wrote what we consider "music to our ears "  :angel:  I was sooooo worried that something was wrong when daisy didn't have anything, but when you wrote  i would not worry about feeling for nipples especially if this is your first litter. They can be hard to find under all that fur, i felt relived in soo many ways! ::nod::  thank you again!

Misskitz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 08:00:53 PM »

as i stated before she is currently in a cage with 1"x1/2" openings. :D  oh way you stated it perfectly fine thanks for help again. :angel:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up