Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to Get a Timeline  (Read 11651 times)

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
Trying to Get a Timeline
« on: February 05, 2008, 02:19:43 PM »

I am new to breeding, although I have been studying it for about a year. As I have learned over the past few years with chins, the only way to truly learn is through experience. I recently purchased a large female chin that was newly pregnant. The previous owners stated that she conceived approx. Nov. 1st making the estimated due date February 20th (according to my chart). I checked her last night and felt the nipples. She is now always sleeping on her side, drinking approx. 4 oz. of water/ day, eating half of the pellets in her 5 oz coop cup (I filled it up completely last night in order to get an idea of how much she was eating. That is how much she has eaten since approx. 10 pm last night.) and 1 tsp of supplement. I know all chins are different, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me about where she is. When she first arrived, she was eating and drinking about the same as the other chins, maybe a tad bit more. She has visually gained weight in the past week. She has grown increasingly nervous in the past few days. She sprayed me when I was feeding her, which is unusual for her. Any ideas would be very helpful!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

KCchins

• Kansas City Chinchillas
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Chinchillas
Re: Trying to Get a Timeline
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 01:37:37 PM »

There's no way to know for sure when a female will deliver her kit/s.  The best answer I can give you is within the next month or so.  Patience is a must with pregnant females.
---Cathy

I have chins available.
e-mail me KCchins@msn.com if interested.

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 02:20:54 PM »

It almost feels like I did when I was pregnant. I am just counting down the days!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 08:16:34 PM »

I used to have a great method. 2 weeks after I felt kicking there were always kits. Franchesca my saphire and Gypsy my sc have gone 4 weeks with kicking with no sign of getting ready . It is all guess work and individual animals Baby tears apart her cage and demolishes everything she can 2-3 days before. Princess spends the week before not leaving the bottom of her cage etc.... IMPO they all have their own little cues.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 08:52:12 PM »

I'm still sitting here on the edge of my seat. I think it is most likely similer to the saying,"the watched pot never boils!".
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 02:50:07 PM »

the watched pot never boils!".
:D

I hear ya.
Can you feel life in her. If you hold her in your arm with the other hand under her belly you should be able to feel kits moving. Hard to do if she's protesting though.
I have one pregnant for sure and felt life for the first time on Monday,I should see kits in about 4 weeks, maybe 3.
Goinig from her last litter being weened it looks like around the 23 of Feb. but I give her another week from then.
I'm still checking the cage first thing every morning, watching the pot with you  :D
You may notice one day she's just not herself. Not sleeping, not eating, and just plain uncomfortable. Up on a shelf, then down on the floor. She waiting then too. ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 05:29:19 PM »

I checked her nipples again today and they are as long as her hair and red. I didn't feel the babies moving, but she was fidgety, but her belly is SO round and SUPER tight! She is drinking a TON, but her food intake has slowed down.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 10:58:34 PM »

Ewwwie, with all that extra water she is drinking, she is peeing up a storm. I also noticed something that was a bit different. She is generally a very clean chin and I have never noticed her to be a "shelf pee-er". I went to clean her chin box, and it was covered in urine and poo. The poo was smushed into the wood. I know her poo is not soft, because I checked it while she was playing. I am assuming she has just gotten lazy and is peeing on her poo which made it soft (I know this is kind of gross, sorry). I checked her to see if she was a mess, and she was not. Is this just one of those things that might be "her sign of getting close"? I refresh the cages daily and deep clean once a week. I usually clean the wood in the cage about every other day, so this mess could not have been there very long. I didn't notice it yesterday.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 07:15:40 PM »

Waiting and worriyng is the hardest part, go away for a night that always works for me. I stayed at my boyfriends last night and this morning babies (my mom got to find them) Always works, I think i will go out again tonight so the other ones will come..... rofl
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 09:58:03 PM »

That's funny. I have been sleeping in the den the past few nights so I could possibly hear noises if something happened. Maybe I will just go back to bed and see what happens.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 03:20:27 PM »

Oh Me nerves  :2funny:
I've taken the birthing cage to my bedroom at night, used a baby monitor, and
I even went to the point after 2 years of missing the births to setting up a video camera.
It still took some doing, but I did get my video.
Now they don't care if I'm there or not. :doh:
Funny one day I went to the grocery, and came back and there they were. :D

I don't know about the rest of you but I notice a drop in my females about 2-3 weeks before the birth.She looses that full roundness, and the biggest part of her is very low.
Around that time I see her starting to open up down below.
Sometimes a day or two before the birth she'll have a bit of discharge too.
At least it's only sometimes I'm looking that closely now.
I'm usually pretty good at my perdictions with mine these days, but still make the bee line to the chin room as soon as I get up, from about 2 weeks before.
Now you got the rest of us waiting.
OK I'm waiting too, and have a female I'm not sure of the date on.
From her last litter no sooner that Feb. 23d.
I expect that to be pretty close by what I see and feel in her.
She has dropped and her open is just starting to part.
By what your telling me so far I expect yours to be a tad later.
Then she could be having 3 -4 kits, and that could change the fullness in her now. :2funny:
Too much fun ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 08:28:33 PM »

I know what you are saying. Her stomach has been a lot lower for the past week or week and a half. I am thinking she started to open a little two days ago. She has males on both sides and one has been going crazy and doing the tail swish for two days. I haven't checked her because I don't want to mess with her so close to her due date. She get really stressed out when I attempt to handle her. 3 nights ago was the last time I attempted to check her. I gave her over 30 minutes worth of coaxing and she wanted nothing to do with it. She is due in 4 days, so I am just cleaning her cage and feeding her. She has gotten huge. I am wondering if there is more than one in there!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 02:51:26 PM »

Today is the due date...so it could be any time now. I checked her today and her nipples are really long. I know I am new at this, but I try to feel kits moving and I just can't. I rest her belly in my hand and I try to see if I can feel movement other than her breathing and heart, but I don't know. She runs around so much before I get ahold of her, that her breathing and heartrate is usually racing. Could I be mistaken? I just don't feel anything. Would her nipples be that long if she wasn't? They are very distinct.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 12:37:38 PM »

Not to worry, much of the time the kits are asleep. No I don't think you are mistaken.
I was sure I'd see the kits from yours were here already. ::pull hair::
She sounds so close.
Then we have to remember mother nature speaks for her self.As they can deliver anywhere from 104 days 120.
I have has several do the 120. ::nod::
I knew another female was pregnant but though she was a month or more away. I have been checking her every week and felt nothing until last night. But by what I felt she'll never last a month.
All we know for sure is soon.
I'm so excited for you. ::bouncyball::
Debbie.nl.ca

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 02:03:35 PM »

I think she must be going for the 120 mark. With my luck, she will probably set some sort of record. I had read so much about when you feel the kits move...I just haven't. I am so excited. I have another female that is about a month behind her. I felt her little nipple nubs this morning. She has gotten huge. I don't know how she is going to go another month!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up