Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pregnancy & Weight Gain  (Read 7308 times)

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
Pregnancy & Weight Gain
« on: July 12, 2006, 12:37:17 PM »

Do pregnant females stop putting on weight as their due dates and/or time for delivery get closer?  I have weighed Mia every week from the beginning of her pregnancy.  She seemed to put all of her weight on at the start and during the middle of the pregnancy.  She is approaching her day 111 which is July 27th, about 2 weeks away.  This past week she seems to have gained nothing!  Now I am concerned.  I was holding her on my lap last night and did feel kit movement inside of her.  Why would she have stopped gaining?  She had been putting on a lot of weight weekly before and went from 770 grams to 1,050 grams. 
 ::shrug:: Is there any reason for concern here? 
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Pregnancy & Weight Gain
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 03:53:15 PM »

Yes ::nod::

Won't be long now ::silly::
Debbie.nl.ca

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 08:02:57 PM »

Hi Debbie,  Thank you for your help!

Yes, meaning she will probably have them  before her due date on July 27th?  And chins can stop gaining as much weight nearer to delivery?   
Or, yes meaning I should be concerned.

Funny thing is her mate has been obsessively cleaning up one side of their cage bottom for days now!  I need to get a video of this, it cracks me up.  He must be exhausted.  I'm telling ya, this is all he does.  He sweeps up all bedding & debris from the one side of their cage and has made a huge pile on the other side of the cage now!  He digs and uses his front and back feet to do so.  Litter flies everywhere in the process!  Have your chins ever done this?  Are they making the Mrs. a place to sleep and be cooler or for her to deliver?

I did weigh Mia today and she has put on another 20 grams this week.  She now weighs 1,071 grams.  I could feel the babies kicking away much stronger than ever today!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 09:45:10 AM »

Yes I do have a hetero beige male that does that.
He sweeps all the shavings away from the door and piles them up in the back corner.
He did it all the time though, and only stops when a house goes back there for the kits.
I put him back after the kits are 7-10 days with the house in the corner and he doesn't do it.
Take the house out and all the shaving get swept back into the corner.
I was thinking he was just trying to get out, like if he moves them away from the door, maybe he can get out by digging under it. :D
Funny critters
Debbie.nl.ca

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 09:53:15 AM »

They really are funny aren't they!  Always doing something entertaining.
Well Mia has gained another 20grams, weighed her yesterday and she is now 1,071 grams.  Today I could actually see the babies moving while she was asleep on her side.  It was so sweet, for me to see anyway.....probably not for her!  I remember a couple weeks before I was due with the girls!  Yikes!!!!!!!!!
I think she may go into her whelping cage next Tuesday.  That would be day 102.  Do you think that'll be OK?  I was going to wait until one week before day 111 but something tells me these kits may come sooner.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 10:44:47 AM »

I play each pair & birth by ear.
Some I leave until the birth,some dames just won't let the males handy anyway, while some Dads seem help keep her calm.Some hate to be separated.
 If Dad is getting antsy as Mom gets close to delivery I take him out. She needs her rest, and having Dad chasing her around is to taxing.

First litters I take him out most always. Maybe a week before LOL Like I said play it by ear and do what ever you feel comfy with.
Some pop them out faster than I can get him out too. ;D\

Another good point, I just had one go in heat and mate 6 weeks after delivery. They were all in the cage together from about day 10 after the birth. That's never happened to me before. :-[ If I'm keeping them together I just let the mate at the 8 week heat, but this one at 6 weeks. I'm still not sure she is pregnant again.
Debbie.nl.ca

Chins To Love

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Serenity
    • View Profile
    • Chins To Love
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 05:47:39 PM »

Ours usually stop gaining the last week or so, and their appetite really goes down right before delivery....Sounds kinda like I was..appetite anyways, certainly not weight gain. :-[
Julianne,  Proud ECBC member

Chins To Love
Fresno, CA
www.chinstolove.com

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 07:22:59 PM »

::silly:: What was the date of the first time you felt them move, Joyce?

Usually, if it is 1 or 2 kits, you can almost count on two weeks from the day, for them to deliver.

If it is 3 or 4, you can usually count on 3 weeks +.  Note I said USUALLY.   rofl

Like Debbie said ... What you feel most comfortable with.  And how Oki and Mia act and react to moving her.

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 08:58:25 PM »

;) Hi All,  Thank you so much for your replies, I really appreciate it so much!  Every little bit helps a first time chin granny!

Let me see here.......the first time I felt the babies move was Friday June 30th.  I have kept a diary.  So 3 weeks from that day would put her at July 21st which would be this coming Friday.  So it's leaning towards 3-4 kits!  Two weeks after I felt them move would have been 2 days ago Friday the 14th of July.  So we'll see.
She is not eating as much of her hay & pellets.  But she loves to be hand fed alfalfa and still takes it gladly.  She also never refuses a raisin or papaya cube!  I am watching for her to start drinking water like crazy, this is what I have heard now from others.  Apparently right about a day before they deliver they drink like crazy.
She has not gained any more weight since I last posted it at 1,071 last week.  Matter of fact she was 1,060 yesterday.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 10:31:11 AM »

::silly:: Hi Joyce,

Remember, a small kit can vary it's weight as much as 3 to 5 grams (about 5 to 10% of their wight the first 50 to 100 grams)  just by peeing and pooping and/or just finishing nursing or needing to nurse. As long as it does not continue to go down for a couple of days, I would not be concerned.   A variance of weight of 10 to 15 grams on an adult weighing over 1,000 grams would not be that bad, percentage wise, when you compare it to the kit's doing the same. 

Why should she refuse to be hand fed hay and treats? ... you have your little queen on a pedestal and she is going to enjoy every minute of it she can! ::nod::   rofl  Once the kits arrive, there will be no rest for her.  ???  Pamper her well!   :blush2:

Watching the water consumption increasing by 2 or 3 times the normal amount the last 24 hours has almost always been the "get ready, here we come" alarm for me.  Her body tells her she needs it to start produce milk for her kits.   With the food ... it varies ... more or less, depending on the chin, but it will usually change the last few days. (Maybe she "feels" to "full" to eat. ::silly::)

My Little Jamie

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 09:21:05 AM »

geez  Granny Joyce,
The waiting is driving me ;D
She sounds so close, don't blink. ::silly::
Debbie.nl.ca

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 10:18:25 AM »

:-[ Debbie,  I know, the wait is killing me too but it's very exciting!  Mia continues to do well, no changes.  I am tip toeing in to check her continuosly and I don't leave the house for a long period of time now.  My kids think I am nuts, we always have to come home to check on Mia!!!  Today I am going to pick up a baby monitor, it'll help when we are around here at home and especially at night when we are not right there with her.  I plan to start sleeping on the couch near her cage soon.  Today is day 103.  She has to have them soon she is going to explode!  ???

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 11:31:37 AM »

::silly::Joyce,

Remember I said you need your rest, too! (I'm in my Mommy mode now.)   A baby monitor is great, that way you and your hubby can still cuddle  :blush2: ... at least till the kits are born.  After then is when you may be sleeping on the couch between feedings if she has 4 or 5.

How does that ole saying go "a watched pot never boils"    rofl   

Just kidding ... been there done that a few times!    rofl

::wave::
Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Pages: [1]   Go Up