Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: (stopped eating) Chin upset because I moved his cage...  (Read 10919 times)

Beth

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: (stopped eating) Chin upset because I moved his cage...
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 10:14:20 AM »

Well, I'm glad he's eating the baby food, and was lively this morning!  That's a good sign.

When you have to move, I don't know if this will help you, I'm just a newbie chin owner, but whenever Lulu's upset about me moving her cage, or too much noise around the house, or me moving apartments, it helped her if I just left her alone and was as quiet as possible for a day.  When I let her out for her run the next day, she was so happy to be out and see me, she forgot all about the chaos.  And, as usual, treats always help. :)  good luck and thanks for the updates!

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 04:27:40 PM »

That is good advice. :)
I think maybe I was spoiling him with treats and he stopped eating his food because he wanted the other food instead...
So if he wants the other food, it's good, healthy chinchilla food and although it's a little harder for me to get it's worth it if it makes him happy. The big news is he's eating again! ;D
I saw him do it, twice. The new food, he won't touch the old food, but perhaps that will change. I spoke to the vets she advised me to just feed him less of the recovery food so he would feel hungry and eat and it seemed to work.
I'm just happy he's eating. He's having another checkup at the end of the week and another weight check to make sure he really is okay. :)

So here's what helped him eat again:

Trip to the vets for weight check, teeth check and tummy check.
Was given gut stimulant, pain killers (in case it was his teeth) and fluids.
She gave me more of the gut stimulant to give him 0.05ml each morning and night and some recovery liquid food to syringe feed him.
I gave him the meds and as much of the recovery food as I could (2ml). I also gave him 1ml of the baby food which was oats, banana and apple.
The next day he had the same in the morning but I halved it in the evening.
I counted out twenty pices of food into his bowl so I would know if he had eaten any and at all times he had two types of fresh hay.
The next day he had eaten some food. :)
I gave him 1ml of the recovery, his meds and no baby food. In the evening, this evening, I saw him eating again. Woot! I'm so happy.

I still don't know what it was, perhaps it was just the move but I will be keeping a very close eye on him from now on and just keep my fingers crossed that he's okay.

Abby W.

• View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 04:47:47 PM »

Yeah Jenova!  That's great news!

Animals are so funny sometimes!  We actually had a similar experience with my grandma's dog.  She dropped the dog at our house while she was overseas for a few weeks.  Her dog stopped eating altogether.  She dropped aTON of weight.  We tried force feeding her, offering her all kinds of food, the vet ran all kinds of tests on her.  We finally had my grandma come home early because the vet believed the dog was dying.  My grandma walked in the door, her dog ran over to her wagging her tail, got petted for a minute then promptly went to her food bowl and chowed down!  We were all stunned!  After all that, she was just missing my grandma!  :doh:

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 08:17:43 PM »

If he's annoyed at me I wish he's just bite me or something, not try and kill himself. Thank goodness my vet is so good and so near. The only reason I found out she was qualified with exotics is because I was taking my rabbit a few days ago and they were running really late. I got chatting to the woman next to me and it turns out she's done a course and has seen animals from bearded dragons to tawny owls. So I didn't have to travel thirty miles or so to take him to the chinchilla vet and we're all happy and hopefully well. :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up