Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bonding Advice?  (Read 25453 times)

jrod1195

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Bonding Advice?
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 05:09:24 PM »

What I do is I talk to Delilah all the time, greet her each time I walk in the room. I try to keep her feeding time and everything at a certain time, so she knows she can trust I'll take care of her. If your room is safe and/or you have a fence, you should let her run around, interact with her. Give her a treat every so often, even if you don't feel up to taking her out of her cage, just stick your hand inside and talk to her. They like to know their loved.  :)

jreichle64

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 07:54:46 PM »

Hi I have 5 chins and 2 of them are 3 week old baby girls.  Right now I have mom and the  girls together and we put dad with mom and babies during the day, and separate at night to spend time with our other girl chin.Our male chin is neutered.
we have a 3 tier ferret cage which can be sectioned off.To give mom a break from the babies, we let mom,dad and our other female chin run around the kitchen, but our mom chin attacks the other chins and .  Not sure why this  happens because they are bonded. When i put dad with mom in the cage with the babies they are fine.  We haven't put the other female with mom and the babies yet.

how do i go about introducing the mom, babies and other girl chin.  my goal is eventually have all of them live together.  also when can i give the babies a dust bath.

jaime_riri

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 08:01:31 PM »

Mine don't want to play games with me but in an effort to bond more and interact (because they do NOT want to be picked up) I lay on the floor with some treats on my belly and let them run all over me and chew on my buttons. I found two large collapsible dog crates and i took them apart in such a way that made them in to a fence I can fold up and put away. So, when it's play time, I pull the fence out (it's like 10' long) in front of their cage so it's kind of like an impromptu yard. Then I just get in and read or watch tv and we all just hang out together. I've definitely notice it's made them less fearful and it eliminates having to chase them back into their cage. After a while, if they haven't gone back on their own, I just leave them like that until they go home and then fold everything up and put it away.

melgo66

• Appreciation points: 8
  • # of Chins: 3
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Hay
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2015, 03:41:50 PM »

This is what helped me out a ton when I first got mine: http://smallpetselect.com/chinchilla-guide/bonding-with-your-chinchilla-2
Sounds weird but the "playing hard to get' really worked!

melgo66

• Appreciation points: 8
  • # of Chins: 3
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Hay
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2015, 06:02:30 PM »

Here's a helpful article on anyone else that is wondering about bonding advice with their chinchilla: https://www.google.cl/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=bonding+advice+chinchilla+small+pet+select

blackxlily

• # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2017, 09:22:14 PM »

My Diesel personally loves a scratch under the chin and on the belly. He will stand there forever as you scratch him!

I also would recommend feeding raisins, cheerios, and any small animal treats you buy. Herbs are good treats to give too. My Diesel loved it when I gave him some rosemary and basil.

You can also bake your chinchilla tiny little muffins. I made my chinchilla some by combining flour, yogurt, and raisins and baking tsp fulls of the batter in the oven for 20 minutes. I'm thinking that any muffin recipe you can eat would work too, though you might want to reduce the fat and sugar content.

I have also read that you can read to your chinchilla or watch TV together.

Flint

• Appreciation points: 25
  • # of Chins: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2017, 02:12:40 AM »

Chinchillas should really not be given raisins as the sugar content is too high. Chins are seriously at risk regarding health from being fed sugary treats!!
Chin mum and Fluffslave.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up