Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bonding Advice?  (Read 25604 times)

Beth

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Bonding Advice?
« on: January 12, 2008, 09:41:29 AM »

Hi everyone!  I was wondering if anyone had any more bonding advice or tips for me and Lulu to try?  I appreciate any advice!  Thank you! ::nod::

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Re: Bonding Advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 02:28:25 PM »

As always, just sitting by the cage, talking to her, maybe feeding her bits of hay through the bars, or allowing her onto your lap and playing with her in the cage. This is a game I play with mine that you might like: I get a bit of 'safe material' a bit of hay or wood that fits through the bars and I waggle it until they're interested. Then I don't let them get it. I pull it out just before they get it and move it and waggle it again. Cheech loves that game, of course I let her win eventually and she thinks she's better than me. Hehe. Chong, well he gives up pretty quickly, he can't be bothered. I'm still trying to bond with him. I've had him since June and he's a very reclusive one. When he's playing he will run over me but when I try to play with him in his cage he's more interested in trying to escape. I just talk to him and tickle him through the cage. at first he would go mental if anyone touched him. (My boyfriend thought it was so funny he would lightly touch his fur just to see him scarper off backwards through his cage. He got a severe scolding from me for that, no one teases my little Chong) Now I can tickle him for maybe thirty seconds at a time. I also try and pick him up a few times a week, but I never chase him, I let him come onto my lap and then pick him up. It's slow progress with him, as it was with Cheech, but looking at how friendly she is gives me hope for him. You don't have another one to compare to so it's a little harder, but just take it slowly. By what you're saying you seem to be doing things right anyway.

Also, when we first got Cheech she was in her cage downstairs. We moved her up when we had a party so she wouldn't be traumatised by all the people (although weirdly she seems to love meeting new people... and chewing their shoes). We liked her being in our room, where we spend most of our time, so much we kept her there. I would suggest keeping the cage in the room you spend most of your time in, so even when you're not spending time with her, she can still see you and become used to you.

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 06:46:32 PM »

I just tried your game with Lulu in the cage and she loves it!  Yay!  Thanks for the advice!  Anyone else have games they play with their chinnies?

KCchins

• Kansas City Chinchillas
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 08:15:16 PM »

Old fashioned oats are great.  Your chin will love you forever.  Place the oats in the palm of your hand and let him eat from your hand.  The oats must be old fashioned not quick cook.  You can give 1/3 teaspoon per day.  This is considered a treat so no other edible treats that day.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:17:42 PM by KCchins »
---Cathy

I have chins available.
e-mail me KCchins@msn.com if interested.

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 06:07:51 AM »

Thanks, that's a great idea.  I give Lulu these Vitakraft Nibble Rings made from field grains (soy, alfalfa, oats, soybeans, flour...) and vary in how much she gets per day (depends on how good she is!). I break up the ring (which is about the size of a nickel) into halves and quarters and feed them to her in pieces.  I don't give her any more than 4-5 per day.  And she gets one small raisin upon going back to her cage.  If I gave her some oats to eat from my hand, would it be too much?  I want my little girl to be as healthy as can be!   ;)

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 06:43:43 AM »

Sorry, the treat stuff should have been in another section!  I'm still looking for any and all chin bonding/games to play with Lulu!  Please let me know what you do to play with your babies!

KCchins

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 10:29:16 AM »

Thanks, that's a great idea.  I give Lulu these Vitakraft Nibble Rings made from field grains (soy, alfalfa, oats, soybeans, flour...) and vary in how much she gets per day (depends on how good she is!). I break up the ring (which is about the size of a nickel) into halves and quarters and feed them to her in pieces.  I don't give her any more than 4-5 per day.  And she gets one small raisin upon going back to her cage.  If I gave her some oats to eat from my hand, would it be too much?  I want my little girl to be as healthy as can be!   ;)

Vitakraft does not normally have healthy treats even if it says they are.  I would toss the nibble rings and give oatmeal.
---Cathy

I have chins available.
e-mail me KCchins@msn.com if interested.

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 03:17:36 PM »

I just started doing this with my girls by chance, and you might want to give it a try.  I think it sounds like your Lulu just runs out of the cage, and my girls don't like to hop on my hands.  Kira seems to have issues with not feeling safe in her cage, so I don't like to push it (she bit me badly when I was cleaning the cage).  When they come out, they always like using a high up door, not the lower one (even though it's open).  The other day I went up to talk to Kira while she was sitting there, and she seemed to be thinking about jumping on my shoulder.  I decided to stay and see what would happen.  After much deliberation, they hopped on my shoulder and down my back.  I'm now doing this every night, and M'noke now pauses on my shoulder and looks at me and sniffs my hair.  I"m hoping that some day she'll like to hang out there and I can walk around with her there.  I"m going to try and give her treats while she's there.

Hope this helps.    :)

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 03:42:09 PM »

Thanks, I'll try that some time!  I think Lulu would probaby just shoot out of the cage, but I've never tried the top door before...good idea!

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 06:24:12 PM »

I have a couple of chins that like to run up my arms.  I open the cage door and put my hand on a shelf and they hop on and run up my arm onto my shoulder.  Sometimes they turn around and run back down the way they came, sometimes they cross behind my neck onto my other shoulder.  I have one who likes to jump onto my head and look around!  I love being a chinnie jungle gym!  rofl

lesliesuniquecharm

• View Profile
    • Unique Charm
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 11:04:54 PM »

Roo loves to treat me as his personal jungle gym too, i usually lay on my tummy so he acts as my hair dresser & stands beside me & scrumages through my hair, I*ve taught him to come to me when i call him [[ he just up & did it i made a noise & patted my knee]] & to give kisses [[ipat & make a kissy noise]] & high 5's  [[i show him a treat & hold up my finger & tap his - he got it after 5 or 6 times ]] ::) i love my little man. when my boyfriend gets me upset i talk to roo & the next time he sees my boyfriend he throws food at him.

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 03:07:05 PM »

That is so cool!  Great ideas for tricks, too!  Thank you! :::grins::

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 02:43:38 PM »

I like to stuff them in my fleece/sweater and let ther run out my sleeves.
Debbie.nl.ca

chinchilla.hk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 01:30:22 PM »

I believe nose to nose (touch) is a good way to bond with your baby.

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 06:29:02 PM »

Thanks!  Those are all great ideas!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up