Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Louie's feet?  (Read 3488 times)

Beth

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Louie's feet?
« on: January 08, 2008, 02:02:57 PM »

Hello all!  My 7 month old chin, Louie, has small furless patches on the tops of both of his "big toes".  I noticed them about a week ago.  I haven't seen him chewing his fur, I don't have a wire cage, and the furless patches aren't flaky or cracked or bleeding, they're just pink skin.  I've been putting vitamin E cream on daily for the past couple of days and noticed no changes.  Any ideas??

Also, I think I heard him sneeze once or twice today, is this cause for concern?

THANK YOU

KCchins

• Kansas City Chinchillas
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Chinchillas
Re: Louie's feet?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 11:52:17 AM »

Vitamin E oil is usually used on the pads of feet.  I don't think you need to put it on the fur part of the toes.  If the areas without fur are not red, scaley or look infected I would just watch the areas.  If the bald areas become bigger or you notice fur missing from facial or genital areas you may be dealing with ringworm (fungus).  In that case take him to the vet or treat for ringworm.

Chins sometimes sneeze so I wouldn't be too concerned about the sneezing.  However you should keep a close eye on Louie.  Be sure he is eating and drinking.  Weigh him to be sure he is not loosing weight. If he continues to sneeze or is not eating or loosing weight or you notice any nasal discharge or eye problems then take him to the vet to be checked out.

---Cathy

I have chins available.
e-mail me KCchins@msn.com if interested.
Pages: [1]   Go Up