Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chins and cats  (Read 4996 times)

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Chins and cats
« on: December 25, 2007, 11:51:53 AM »

I hadn't planned on introducing my two cats to the new two chins until they were comfortable with us.  But, as chance had it, they have had one meeting.  One night after cleaning the cage I forgot to close one door (that I never use otherwise) and the door to the room didn't latch properly.  The chins got out, and in the morning we thought we were going to find dead chinchillas.   ???  Instead, we found one cat shadowing each chin, and the chins had them properly at bay and scared of them.   :noway:

I don't plan on introducing them agian until the chins are settled.  I've read different things about the two species gettin along.  Does anyone have any experience?  the cats are definitely curious and always want to come in when the chins are playing.  I don't expect them to be buds, but I could see them respecting each other's space in the future; politely co-habiting.

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
Re: Chins and cats
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 04:07:53 PM »

I own three cats and have had up to 30 chinchillas in my house at one time.  Although my cats have never shown any malice towards my chinchillas and have not harmed them when the chinchillas have escaped from the cages, I would NEVER let my cats and chinchillas out in the same room on purpose.  I do allow my cats into the chinchilla room when all of the cages are locked.  However, I do know what I am risking in doing this.  If one of the chinchillas got hurt or killed, I know that it would be my fault and not the animals.  Unfortunately, people allow their animals to be together and, when one of them dies, they blame the animal and often start neglecting it or get rid of it.  As animal owners, we all make decisions on what we think is best.

My advice is this:  Do what you want to do with your animals.  But know that it is NOT the animal's fault for behaving on their natural instincts.  If your cat kills your chinchilla, chalk it up to a lesson learned on your part and love your cat just as much as you did before the incident.

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 04:47:44 PM »

very well said.

Many people have chins and other animals (cats and dogs) but that does not mean that they let them romp around together. I have 2 dogs and don't even let them in the chin room and would never let them around a chin outside of it's cage. Not saying I think my dogs would hurt the chin.. I don't want to allow anything to happen. I know of some chin owners whos dogs are perfectly fine and chins can bounce all over them and they wouldn't care, also.

As ChinchillAZ said- do what you want. If you question your other animals then don't take any chances. You can't get mad and love the animal any less if it were to happen to do something horrible if you let them together.

your cats may lose interest in the chins after awhile and not bother them at their cage. My dogs never lost interest and I keep them away to lessen and stress on the chins. It's your call.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 02:49:28 AM »

There is nothing wrong with introducing your chins to your other pets as long as your other pets are all up to date with their shots.  Chins are not immune to a lot of things and can get sick easily.  If you cats or dogs dont have all their immunizations up to date it can be a big risk to your chinnys.  if the cat would accidently scratch a chin it could be exposed to bacteria that other house old animals are immune to. Especially if you have other rodents in the house.  My cats love being around my chins they always lay by the cages or touches noses with them!!...they are buddies ;) Just have to take precautions ;)

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 11:49:50 AM »

that's good to know.  Both creatures are curious about each other.  When the chins are out, the cats sit at the door and they talk to each other through the crack (well, the cats stick their paw under and the chins sniff it).  The cats want to see them all the time, but I'm keeping the door closed until they're used to me (then we'll work on the cats).  I think the cats understand that the chins are part of the family, and if they can be unsupervised (by mistake!) for a night, then with supervision they might get along.

I'm hoping anyway.  It's good to know there has been some success.  My sister has a rat and hamsters that the cat just watches run around, so that gave me hope!

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 06:31:47 PM »

I don't know if you were meaning to say this or not, but it sounded as though you were saying that, if a cat scratches another animal, it won't cause a problem if they are vaccinated.  This isn't correct.  Cats have a tremendous amount of bacteria in their saliva.  Since they clean themselves and lick their paws and nails, cat scratches can easily transmit this bacteria.  One of the most commonly known bacteria carried and transmitted by cats is Bartonella.  ("Cat scratch fever" isn't just an old wive's tale!)  This is why anyone who is scratched or bitten by a cat should go to the doctor and get antibiotics, whether or not the cat is vaccinated.  (The same is not necessarily true for dog bites and scratches unless the dog has not been vaccinated against rabies.) 

There are also many, MANY zoonotic diseases that cannot be vaccinated against that any animal has the potential of carrying and transmitting.

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 07:56:41 PM »

I work in an animal hospital and yes it is true about cat bites and scratches. A woman I work with was bitten and ended up in the hospital for 3 days with blood poisoning. You can get that in many different ways I believe.. just know any kind of scratch needs cleaning or possible medical attention.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 08:12:32 PM »

I have an older dog that has always been with other animals. He and my Petie would play together. Well......Petie would chase my dog around the house (the part we had blocked off). I had to quit letting them play together. Not because of the dog, though. Petie started chasing him around nipping at his leg. Who knew my little guy would turn out to be a bully! :)
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 08:18:08 PM »

rofl silly chinchillas!  I think my Kira would be like that.  The one night they accidentally met each other, Kira had my cat backed into a corner spitting and hissing.  The cat just kept backing up, and Kira kept moving forward, and every now and then jumping at her.  They mostly just ignored the cats I think, and were more interested in the rest of the house, with big fur ball cats following them around!

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 01:24:09 AM »

My cats are declawed so i dont make that big of a fuss with them around my chins they are so used to them because there is so many they just relax with them.  My one chin chubs loves chirping at the cats to get their attention and will give them chinny kisses thru the cage. ;)

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 03:30:01 PM »

I work in an animal hospital and yes it is true about cat bites and scratches. A woman I work with was bitten and ended up in the hospital for 3 days with blood poisoning. You can get that in many different ways I believe.. just know any kind of scratch needs cleaning or possible medical attention.

Exactly.  I was speaking more as a veterinary technician (which I am) and less as an animal owner. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up