Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another question by an owner - sort of strange  (Read 3080 times)

shadowborne

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Another question by an owner - sort of strange
« on: December 17, 2007, 08:30:26 PM »

I have a question and it has to do with air blowing directly on a chinchilla. My chinchilla, silver, loves to sit ontop of my computer especially her rear and tail over the large fan that blows air up. I have felt and the air that comes from my computer is cool but she sits there and she looks happy and gets real angry when I shoo her off (or pick her up, she fights for a few seconds then gives up and lets me carry her around without a fuss for up to 30 minutes). Is it ok or do I really need to find a way to keep her off my computer without causing internal damage?

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
Re: Another question by an owner - sort of strange
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 09:38:38 AM »

I'm not sure how the blowing air would cause internal damage...   My concern with her being on top of the computer would be that, if something frightens her and she goes to run, the surface likely doesn't have much for her to grip onto (being that it's likely hard plastic) and she may loose her footing and injure herself that way.

I'd also be worried about the computer...  Computers aren't constructed to withstand urine and feces, not to mention the amount of hair that will likely get caught up in the fan blades.

lesliesuniquecharm

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Unique Charm
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 12:13:10 AM »

When i first got Roo i didnt read your weren*t supposed to put a fan on them, since we kept it at 75* in the house i didnt want him getting hot so i kept it on him from across the room on the 2nd setting & he loves it! He*d hang out in his hammie.. I dont do it anymore though..Now he*s in the living room.

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 07:47:52 AM »

There shouldn't be a direct draft that chinchillas cannot get away from.  Having a fan on doesn't actually help chinchillas to cool, since fans just circulate air and don't actually cool it, but having a fan on in the same room as the chinchilla is perfectly fine.  You just wouldn't want to aim a fan directly at the chinchilla so that he wasn't able to get away from it.

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 03:39:09 AM »

I use fans to help the chinchillas get used to noise, there is nothing wrong with fans as long as they are not blowing right on their faces.  If you are trying to cool your chin down try a piece of ceramic tile, put it in the freezer and give it to the chins, one year my air conditioning was down for a few days and that worked wonders the chins laid right on top of them.  I also will fill jars with ice they sit next to them and cool off.  Be careful with the chinchillas near your computer, chins loose a lot of hair that the computer can suck up through its fan and clog the airway to your motherboard especially if its dusty that is the worse and could blow your computers cooling system.  Also if the chins get a hold of any cords they will chew right through them, they could get zapped or you will have to replace w/e they chewed through!..lol...I have been there before...lol ;)

shadowborne

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 07:40:35 AM »

All cables are protected behind the computer with special pipes that were put in to keep everything neat, just are there to keep her from getting to the cords. She won't stand right on it, only her tail and she always positions it just so part of her tail is inside the airflow. The fan blows up and will blow air across her back but never into her face. She seems to love it there and nothing I do can deter her. I put a screen on the inside that will catch all the poo that falls in and I chase her off whenever I see her up there so I am not to worried about urine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up