News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help  (Read 3020 times)

helen

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
help
« on: December 04, 2007, 04:06:11 PM »

i have just noticed my chin as stools that are loose and really sticking to his cage he wasnt like this yetuerday he is still his normal self i have only had him bout 2 weeks now and he is 12 weeks old the vet i was going to register him with before i got him as left now and he was the only one who new bout chinchillas i am goin to try him on some burned toast to see if that helps if not the only thing i can do is take him to the pdsa vets as you can just phone them and go down but i dont think they know much bout them either i have tried different vets but they all say you need a exoctic vets advice but i cant find any near me i am really panicking incase he dies help ::cry222::: :'(

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: help
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 04:12:37 PM »

Many things can cause it, stress, to many treats, change in feed or treats and it could be more serious.
Yes try the toats first, and cut out all treats.
He's still so young that any little change or distrubance could have brought it on.
I only give oatmeal to kits under 6 months, they do seem more prone at a young age when your adding new foods.
If you see a slimy coating it could be a parasite and a fresh stool culture is required.
If it's just a tad softer than normal the toast should do the trick.
Debbie.nl.ca

helen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 03:54:48 AM »

i have noticed his stool is shiney so i guess thats mucus so i am taking him vets later today he is still content though but i dont want to take risks with him i just hope they know what they are doing they said they treat all animals because i cant work im on benefits this vets is a charity run vet so fingers crossed he will be ok im really scared its serious  :( :'(

Summer

• 4everchins
  • Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 10:29:19 AM »

Sounds like it  could be Giardia. Have the vet run an ELISA test "fecal test". If it is girardia the vet should give you Panacur (fenbendazole) is a good anti-protozoal, but be careful as it can decreases the appetite.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 05:25:58 PM by Summer »

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 04:52:56 PM »

Good luck!

I notice you're in the UK, mind me asking where abouts you live because I know a couple of vets and I might be able to help?

helen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 10:38:28 AM »

Hi im from the leicester area and teddys diarreah has cleared up now so i guess it was from stress from moving to new home  :)

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 08:54:10 PM »

It's new owner paranoia, I had the same thing when I first got cheech. It's a good thing, it shows you care. :)

I'm in Norfolk, so I'm a little far away to advise on vets, but I used to live in Leicester, not that that helps...

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 11:36:41 AM »

That is really great that as a new chin owner, you pay attention to his stools. Good Luck!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up