Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: food and bedding  (Read 1612 times)

helen

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
food and bedding
« on: December 04, 2007, 02:47:07 PM »

would it be safe to feed my chin chinchilla pellets that is from pets at home it is there own brand and it has these ingredients in
wheat,grass meal,soya hulls,full fat soya,oat bran,peas,unmolassed sugar beet pulp,brewers yeast,vegetable oil,dicalcium,phosphate,calcium carbonate,fructo-oligosaccharides,no added colourants or preservetives and also i am thinking of taking his wire bottom out of his cage and replace it with bedding instead can i use carefresh please offer your advice thank you ::shrug::

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: food and bedding
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 04:29:28 PM »

Not sure on the pellets, were is the alfalfa?
I don't like wire bottom either, and carefesh is fine
Debbie.nl.ca

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 05:07:05 PM »

I had Cheech on pets at home food for ages. The problem with food in the UK is none of it has alfalfa or timothy hay in it which is very important for their diet. The food is good otherwise. As long as you can get some alfalfa and timothy hay too. Pets at home sell Timothy hay for rabbits but I found when I gave it to mine it made their poos smaller so at the moment I give them alfalfa hay cubes and meadow hay with only a little bit of the timothy. See what works for you.

The only reason I took them off the Pets at Home food was because the breeder I got Chong from was feeding him a brand called Bearts. I found out the pet shop five minutes away from me also sells that food so it was easier for me to get.

I'm no expert by the way, I've only had chinchillas for just over a year, but I know we can't get the brands of food that are recommended by the members here that live in America and Canada. apparently the best brand in the UK is Charnwoods but nowhere near me sells it. The Pets at Home food is on the list of top foods in the UK it's not at the top but it is on there. I'll try and find the list for you.

Leslie

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 11:57:58 AM »

My cages are wire bottomed and they are okay but sometimes the chins get confused and pee in the wrong places, like through the upper levels that are wire.  I have put wooden boards over as much as possible but they still seem to find little cracks to pee through.  I think a bottom that is bedding would help this.  Also, the wire bottom gets kind of rusty, which isn't very good.

Carefresh is good but expensive.  Kiln-dried pine is fine for them and cheaper.  Just don't use cedar bedding.
Pages: [1]   Go Up